shape
carat
color
clarity

Will sage green work for an exterior color on my house?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
i think if you are going to stay in the same family as the shutters... you might want to go less saturated as well as lighter. that starts heading into the range of a cool gray more or less... with a little red in it. if you just go lighter, i dont hink you will be happy w/ the lack of contrast in color. (will start to look flat)

i also saw this image. not sure if your shutters are this saturated in real life... but a redish tone could be interestng.

coudl you darken your shutters? or would that be too much work?

shutters.jpg.w300h196.jpg

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
sort of what im thinking in yellow... +/-

house_y.jpg

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
...and red. (still not sure on this. worked better in brick w/ texture change...

house_rd.jpg

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
one last one. more of a gray... w/ a little purple saturation ...of the same colorway.

house_gr.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
lost on 5th. Thanks for the visuals. I really thought I''d like the yellow but I just don''t as much when I see it. Oddly enough the red looks pretty good. Similar to the raspberry just toned down a bit.

I totally agree on the purple siding needing to be grayed down a bit or the shutters being darker. I have to take the shutters down to paint anyway so it''d be no big deal going darker with those.

Do you think a lighter more buttery yellow--closer to a dark cream could work?

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
ID. here is one with darker shutters. i think that when the house color gets richer... the shutters also need to become more bold.

house_rd2.jpg

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
...and one with a more creamy yellow... and exist shutter color.. (i have to say i lean more towards these last 2)

house_y2.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I am loving the grey one!!! You gals are amazing to be able to do that with the colours!!!!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 6:00:02 PM
Author: lost on 5th
ID. here is one with darker shutters. i think that when the house color gets richer... the shutters also need to become more bold.
Hi,

This is just my .03 worth, but since your neighbors house is bright yellow ... I definately wouldn''t do any type of yellow ... It will look really funny. One will be washed out looking and the other will be bright! I have driven by a house that is like the color of your neighbors, and the next house went with a creamy beige and the other side went with a butter cup yellow ... everyone always call those houses the "eyesore" of the block!

I am really loving the pic that is a reddish with the darker purple shutters. I also think it that type of coloring would end up complimeting eachothers house colorings. I hope I make sense, I am just tired.

I have seen that reddish coloring on a house in my aunts neighborhood, similar to your home, and they went with white shutters, etc ... looks very beautiful too!

Have a nice evening to all,
35.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
lost on 5th...thank you for the other 2 pictures. I agree on the darker siding color needs darker shutter color. I actually like the red, but it is so different than what I was originally thinking....going to have to mull that one over.

As much as I want to like a yellowyer shade of cream or a soft yellow I think it's not working as much as I thought it would. And also Mrs. Darlin Joy, good point on the bright yellow house next door washing mine out.

I actually printed all these pictures to show my husband last night and the one he liked best--the purplish-grey siding with the purple shutters. I was really surprised because that is probably the most "girly" color combination. We're going to keep the pictures around the house until we finish our patio then I will probably test a few on the garage.

THANKS!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i actually love the darker purple with the brickish red, beautfiul!!!

i passed a very DARK sage grey house today with white architectural accents, beautiful!! but not sure what color shutters would go with a super dark sagey grey green....white? but you don't want white. and i don't know that i'd do a color.

lost on 5th what are you using to virtually paint the house? love it...i gotta do that for my guest room...hehe!

oh eta that the purplish gray to me looks alot like what you have now? you'd have to get the right color to make sure that the house doesn't just look 'dirty' with the color....which i think alot of light colors end up being that way on houses, esp if they have alot of gray in them! it's a dingy look if that makes sense.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Last one! Last one!

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
mara-

i agree. sage /gray is a wonderful color.. looks great with white! (im going to paint my bathroom that.. dark sage green w/ high gloss white subway tiles.) gets a little hard with purple tho.. :)

also.. my painting work.. just a little bit of photoshop. not the most accurate, but gets the idea across. there is a transparancy setting in photoshop called multiply...which allows for a color to be added on one layer while the shadow/color from the image below shows thru.

35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2006 9:41:53 PM
Author: Mara
i actually love the darker purple with the brickish red, beautfiul!!!

oh eta that the purplish gray to me looks alot like what you have now? you''d have to get the right color to make sure that the house doesn''t just look ''dirty'' with the color....which i think alot of light colors end up being that way on houses, esp if they have alot of gray in them! it''s a dingy look if that makes sense.
I agree, I think houses that have light grey or any kind of light grey in them ... the house either looks dingy and dirty, or ... just looks washed out and lifeless. No personality what so ever. Especially true if you live in an area that doesn''t get much sunshine ... blah melencholy grey everywhere!

I think since your neighbors have that big ol'' brite yellow house, your going to have to go with a "rich" color saturation as to not get that "washed" out look, or dingy look.

You guys might not like the red with the deep purple ... but really ... I think it looks substantial, sophisticated and very rich looking ... it looks like your house is smiling! I know ... I am crazy! It just looks awesome, and you can see a little bit of your neighbors house next to it, and it still looks hot!

When you decide on colors ... just keep in mind ... Rich and a lil bold won''t hurt!

Good luck and keep us updated.
35.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mara and Mrs. Darlin Joy--I like the idea of the lighter lavender with the darker lavender shutters but the siding look grey is my big fear. When I picked the shutter color I had a lot of colors that just looked like washed out grey even though they were lavender.

I actually do like the reddish/berry color one. It is very rich. It would definitely stand out against the neighbor's bright yellow with dark green trim house.

What about a dark charcoal grey with the lavender shutters? Bolder without being quite as vibrant as the reddish
one?

OR

Make the siding color the current shutter color since I know it doesn't go grey and then make the shutters an even darker purple?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i still love the rich berry and purple...i know i''m a freak! it just looks SOO beautiful with your lush green garden!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID, you''re in northern IN right? I was just wondering if you could doctor up some of your snow pics and show us what your color options look like against snow or the dead of winter, lol! Just thinking that we Midwesterners only get to see the way our houses look against lush green landscape about 5-6 months of the year, and the other 5-6 months everything is grey (no leaves or foliage) or covered with snow (before it melts when the temp freakishly goes up to 45-50 degrees!)

My favorite of the pics you''ve posted so far is the berry/lavender trim combo, but I also love the charcoal/lavender trim combo. I''m thinking both of those combos would look great with or without greenery offsetting them.

My house is red brick, so fortunately for me I don''t have to deal with painting except for our shutters, which are a colonial blue, and the white trim around the windows.

How is your backyard gazebo/patio project going? I can''t wait to see that finished either! Maybe I will make trip over to your neck of the woods and see for myself one of these days, lol!
9.gif
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the brick red and the creamy yellow. I think either one would be beautiful!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Here is a darker greyish color. How about this one?

I like the berry one, I'm just afraid it might be too much next to the bright yellow house--especially in winter.

The backyard gazebo project is going well. We have about 1/2 the granite laid and the gazebo assembled. I'm trying to do some at night now that we're on daylight savings time for the first time in my life. It's light until almost 9pm which is really weird in April to me. We are going to have to get another load of the scrap granite so I'm hoping to finish the granite part the weekend of April 22. We'll be out of town for Easter weekend. Monarch--you certainly are welcome to stop by.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Oops picture didn''t post.

HouseDarkPlum.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh i dont like that last one at all, it look very ''sullen'' ... like a child made to put on a party dress who doesn''t want to go. hehe.

i think honestly with any color combo that is going to be strongish that it will potentially clash in the more dead of winter...unfortunately and any lightish color may just end up looking dingy! really tough call.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Trying again...used my current shutter color only slightly lighter in an effort to not have the siding look grey. Then made the shutters darker. Don''t really like the berry accents--probably would go black. Obviously my paint skills are not great because I couldn''t figure out how to do transparent painting.

What do you think?

HouseMediumPurple.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
too purple??

hmm but your mention of accents in black made me think.

why don''t you go into sherwin williams or whoever you plan to use and take a look at what is available for the exterior paint options. there could be a color that is grayish purple that won''t give you that dingy look, maybe something a bit darker on the gray than purple but not charcoal??

having just done two rooms in our house with paint, it''s soo tricky to just think you want a color and find it. it''s almost better to just see what is available and work from there. then if you need them to they can custom mix something but at least you have a palette to start with.

i wanted the deep golden for the bedroom but it''s super hard to find GOLD in paints, most of the time it''s either yellow or brown. the CB worked out great, it looks best described as a dark mustardish brownish gold. but more mustard than GOLD. but it still turned out really lovely and we love it. so sometimes a concept in your mind doesn''t work as well as the finished product. i''d say go check out some actual color options keeping your trim (darker lav maybe) and black accents in mind and see what is out there. AND if the SW guys are good, ask their advice, they probably see lots of combos people buy. i found the guys at BM to be super helpful and knowledgeable as well which was great for me since i''m a total novice.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mara--I have the paint deck for SW so I'm trying to go off that. It's just really hard to get it to look right in the paint program because I can't add black which would make it less purply.

On the paint chip that has my current shutter color, the next color lighter is too light. Is there a way to tell them I want my shutter color only lighter but not as light as the next lightest color on the paint chip? It's grey enough to not make my house glow but just a tad lighter would probably be better. Then I could ask them to go darker for the shutter color.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes what the guys at BM told me was that if i found a color i liked, i could have them do it at 75 percent or something like that to make it lighter (or 125 percent for darker etc)....so they can modify and customize things for sure. they just take a ratio of everything and make it less so it's the same color just lighter. if you know you love that color, that could be an option. are you MARRIED to the idea of having a purple purple combo? to me that's just so much purple. what about doing the house the shutter color but then doing the shutters in a complementary color like a dark gray, kind of like your photoshop up there but reversed? maybe a little lighter gray/charcoal and with a tinge of purple to it. then doing stark black accents? that would be lovely. i just don't love all that purple but then again i am not a purple person. hehee.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mara--I will definitely talk to the paint people about 75% or 125% paint. That would help lot.

I''m not married to the purple/purple combo. I kind of like the look with black shutters...purple paint more toned down of course. But then I don''t know what to do with the door surround. Really not liking the idea of that being black.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Here it is with black shutters.

HouseMediumPurpleBlack.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like that last one alot and you could do a dark purple maybe for the accents then?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh definitely don't like the greyish black with purple combo - it looks like your house is the haunted house for halloween kinda thing. I do like the purple on purple better, but still don't love it - maybe it is too much purple. Ditto to what Mara said about asking the pros...they could probably best recommend what would go with the shutter color you have!

Now looking at all of them, I like the 2 yellows better...the darker and lighter shades moreso than any other options!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the last pic you posted. That shade shows up kind of purplish-gray on my monitor and looks so soft and pretty, and I love the contrast of using black for the shutters because it sharpens the whole look. I do like the yellows you posted earlier, but I agree with someone else who said it would look odd next to the other yellow house.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results