shape
carat
color
clarity

Will notching the prongs weaken the setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Info Seeker

Rough_Rock
My fiancee would like her wedding band to sit flush against her engagement ring. Problem is, the engagement ring is set a bit low, so the wedding bands she''s tried all rub against the prongs, leaving a gap between the rings. Our local jeweler suggested that the best solution would be to notch the platinum prongs on the engagement ring to allow the wedding band to sit flush against it. Will this weaken the setting at all?

On a completely unrelated note, how exactly do you pronounce the words "culet" and "Vatche"? The thread about fiance/fiancee got me wondering. . .

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yes, notching it will weaken the ring. I wouldn't do it. Your fiancee can 1) live with the gap--I did and have come to like my gap 2) have the rings soldered together--which will mean she'll never be able to wear them separately or 3) buy a wrap band that will incorporate a space for the head to fit into

Culet is pronounced with a long "u"--kyu-let. Vatche, if I recall correctly, is something like "Vashi." It's *not* French. One of the vendors can probably correct me.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or you can replace the head on the stone and choose a higher one so that her wed ring sits flush.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Both words end the way ballet as in dancing does.

No one can say without seeing the ring and the wedder, that the strength is compromised.
I have been doing that for 27 years and never had 1 problem - but then I do not do it to those that will be a problem.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Another option is to have a wedding band custom made to fit nicely next to the engagement ring. Can be costly, but it may be worth her happiness. I'm having the same problem and my husband can't remember which place he picked out the setting in the diamond district because they usually will make the matching band so I wouldn't have to consider having it custom made. Whew! What a long sentence!

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
is the ring a vatche? because if so, he makes wedding bands specifically for the rings so they do fit flush.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring had prongs that were rotated. The band did not fit at first. By natural attrition the band became flush. It drove me crazy initially. My head was used in a reset. It was still plenty strong.

On my new ring, I had the jeweler "notch" my prongs. I just check them regularly & to date have no problems.

I would not consider welding them. I like the flexibility of wearing them separate. Also, if you ever decide to change the setting in the future, you may not be able to use your original wedding band.

Info Seeker

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. I appreciate it.

It's reassuring to know, Gary, that you've been doing this for quite a long time without any problems. Like you, our local jeweler said he first evaluates the rings to determine if notching the prongs would affect the strength of the setting. What criteria do you use to determine a candidate for notching? Is it the depth of the cut you have to make to allow the rings to sit flush? The metal used in the prongs? Other factors?

In any case, I trust them and the fine work they do, but I'd prefer to make notching the prongs a last resort. We won't have the rings soldered together because she wants to be able to wear them separately. Replacing the head is an excellent idea, but she really loves the style of the head, so that's out as an option. We're thinking about a band that curves around the head of the ring (called a chevron band, I think?). This looks nice with the e-ring, but she doesn't like the way it looks by itself. That leaves us with either a custom band (recommendations anyone?), notching the prongs, or learning to love the gap, as Hest said.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What type of band are you looking at? What type of metal is the e-ring.

More than likely, the attrition will happen fairly quickly if you find a band that is very low set & smaller size than the e-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results