shape
carat
color
clarity

Will my w-ring damage my e-ring if I wear them together?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good news is I''ve lost 15 pounds. The bad news is now my ring is too big. I would like to go through the summer to see how it is in hot weather before I get it sized or have an cushions or beads put in, but the oh-so-chic rubber band that I''ve tied around the back of the ring is probably not the right solution, even just for the next few months. (It works fine, but it looks goofy!)

So my question is, if I wear my wedding band with my e-ring (which then pushes the ring up enough on my finger that it''s not spinning) will the e-ring get damaged? Specifically the finely milgrained area closest to my finger?

I''ll post some pics to show you the area that I''m worried about and also where the rings hit each other, so please let me know what you think.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sideviewA0001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sideviewB0001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ringstogether10001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ringstogether20001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you can see, the rings really only touch in one place, but I don't want to wear down the milgraining or damage the delicate work above it either.

Also, these pics were taken BEFORE the stone was lowered, so no, it's not really that high any more.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Wow, 15?! Congrats!!! Maybe this is a good time for soldering the two together (just a tiny bit)? The combo might not be as loose, and they won''t be able to shift and rub each other.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dee jay, honestly I have no idea. it''s just metal touching metal so it *should* be ok for a short time but I do know metal wears down and if your wedding band is continually banging your e-ring in the same spots i would think it may damage the milgrain where they touch. Have you thought about a butterfly spring or even those little snuggies from claire''s?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I dunno, DJ....If it were me, I''d probably go ahead and wear them together...but I''m not as anal as some people are...I''ll be curious to hear others'' thoughts.

I can say that they look great together. Love the band. Is it from the same designer?

Congrats on your weight loss! Just in time for bikini season!
1.gif

widget

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JJ and Mrs. S., I have (easily) another 15 lbs to go, so I'm reluctant to do anything permanent until I figure out where I'm going to end up. I really don't want to wear the rings together (I think my "e-ring" is pretty chunky on it's own) but short of trying a rubber band around the shank or using one of those clear plastic things (which I don't really object to, but I keep loosing them, LOL) I was hoping that I could just wear them toghether for a while and see how it all turns out.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2007 7:58:40 PM
Author: widget
I dunno, DJ....If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and wear them together...but I'm not as anal as some people are...I'll be curious to hear others' thoughts.

I can say that they look great together. Love the band. Is it from the same designer?

Congrats on your weight loss! Just in time for bikini season!
1.gif

widget

LOL on the bikini Widget -- not if you put a gun to my head!!!

The band is actually my original w-ring from a gazillion years ago. It was an estate piece that I found by accident right before my happy hubby and I got hitched and I really know nothing about it other than that I love it. (I am afraid one of the tiny little diamonds might be chipped though, but I'm not gonna loup it to find out becuase my philosophy is that if I need to loupe something to see it then it's not really there! Not to mention this thing is who knows how old, and I've been wearing it for over 8 years now, so I think it deserves a chip or two.)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll take the anal point of view and say that I wouldn't wear them together. Maybe nothing will happen, but it would freak me out and that Kelege is a masterpiece.
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on 15 pounds lost, that''s really an achievement!! As far as the rings rubbing together, to me it looks like this could be a possible issue...especially in the part with the fleur d'' lis (spelling?). It looks like that area might loose some of the design detail if left there long enough. You''ve have to get an expert''s opinion to make sure, but for now I wouldn''t risk it.

ringplease

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay

Congrats on the weight loss! I know it feels great to put your mind to something and pull it off!!! Now if only I could get myself to the gym...
As for the ring, when I looked at the Kelege rings and spoke with someone from the kelege camp myself, they were very adamant about the fact that the rings were designed so that they could be worn together. I kinda badgered them about this because I am looking at buying a matching ring and band to wear them together. I think the miligrain is pretty hearty and it shouldn''t scratch. However, since the other ring isn''t made to match, (although I love it and it is beautiful and goes well) the rings might rub more than you would like. I would hope they would work the same way, but I guess you might want to confirm it with a local authority... I can''t imagine you don''t want to send that beauty away to Kelege again...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Dee Jay! I hope I can join you in losing 15 pounds (or more)!

I would definitely not wear another ring with the Kelege ring. If it is 95% platinum, it will scratch, and I would not take the chance on seeing how much damage is done.

I have read on another thread around here about something that you can get that is a little better than a rubber band when your ring is too big. I don''t think it is beautiful either, but it might work a little better. I''ll see if I can find the thread.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woohoo on the 15lbs Dee*Jay!!!!! I''m also in the camp that wouldn''t wear it together. I''d be afraid one would damage the other. If it were for a short time, maybe, but not for the long run.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, I found the thread and you had replied on it. You posted some little things that you attach to the ring, and I think that is your best bet until you see how much of a size adjustment you need. Others were calling those things "ring snugglies" and said they can also be purchased at Walmart or Claires.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay, just wanted to say congrats on 15 pounds! Also, I love how your rings look together. I don''t know about wearing them together safety wise, but they look fabulous!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I wore both rings to dinner last night just to test it out and before we even left the bar area for our table I had taken my wedding ring off and put in my right hand. Every time I looked at the rings together I was just convinced that I was ruining the Kelege! Kind of a shame though becuase I was liking the look of them together and it definitely kept the e-ring from spinning. Oh well, unless Dave or Neil or some other expert chimes in and tells me I''m OK wearing them together (which I highly doubt is the case) I guess I''m gonna keep them separate.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an e-ring & w-band, both platinum, with miligraining in similar places. I''ve worn them together since October and *sigh* there is a little wear. Not enough to bother me... but I''m pretty chill about stuff like that. But I do try to keep the "worn" sides together -- & keep the "not rubbing sides" clear. I''d say that the miligrain surface actually scuffs the plain surface more than the plain rubs the miligrain. I''m sure both will wear over time.

Miligraining can be redone, though -- as platinum doesn''t wear OFF per see, just pushes around. And plain sides can be re-polished.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s interesting info Deco, thanks! The wedding band actually has some engraving on the sides too (although not much is left; most of it has worn off at this point in it''s life) and I hadn''t even thought about the e-ring impacting the w-ring too...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results