shape
carat
color
clarity

Will ideal cut diamond make color whiter?

Ennelemliw

Rough_Rock
Will a i color ideal cut 1 carat round diamond appear more white once it is mounted with small stones on band?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An ideal cut diamond generally faces up whiter than a less than ideal cut diamond of the same color.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ennelemliw|1306636308|2932818 said:
Will a i color ideal cut 1 carat round diamond appear more white once it is mounted with small stones on band?

I am not sure what you are asking. Do you want to know about ideal cuts vs. non, or about how a stone will look set compared to loose?

Hope2Help

Rough_Rock
I don't know if an ideal cut will make a diamond more "whiter," but it should help with its brilliance. An ideal cut should maximize the light returned back to the eye of the beholder without having significant loss out the sides of the stone.

Another thing to consider is the "I" color of your diamond. If you mount smaller stones on the band and those stones are diamonds that have a color in the D to I range, then your larger stone will appear more yellow than the smaller stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe when you flip your wrist back and look straight down into the top of the diamond, but not at any other angle, which is how we more often see our diamonds.

You may want to look for an I with some blue fluorescence.
Make sure it's blue and not yellow fluorescence.
It may help the diamond appear less yellow, but only in lighting that has some UV component.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Ideal cut makes sure that that the diamond has maximum brilliance. It is a way of making sure, if you are buying sight unseen (i.e. online) that the diamond will look great (in person, I would trust my eyes, as non ideal cut diamonds can also be extremely attractive. )

Most people have poorly cut diamonds (which is a different thing than 'non-ideal) so 9x out of 10, your ideal cut is going to look better than the other diamonds you will see and then people don't notice the color in most cases, if it is still a white diamond. Diamonds down to J are considered white diamonds--and in fact, if you set a diamond down to an M in yellow gold, the TOP looks white (and many people don't look inthe side, where the difference really shows). I read somewhere that M is actually a common color grade for non-certified diamonds, and people don't know it, so besides have poorly cut diamonds, low colors are common among the population that did not research diamonds (most people).

A well-cut diamond will also visually appear larger than a poorly cut diamond of the same size.

However the cut is not going to change the actual color. An I is not going to going to look like a D, E, F. If you have an I (which I do) and have an F (which I do) if they are anywhere together the difference is very obvious, not even looking into the side--anybody can clearly see it. It is not that the I is not white and not that it is not beautiful. As stated above, if you set an I next to side diamonds which are a higher color, it will be obvious. And some people are color sensitive and are going to notice the tint even if not in a sitiuation where they can compare. I is the point at which most people can tell there is a color difference, too (although even an H never looks like an F).

A question would be, how much do you care about the whiteness versus the size? Or the wearer, ifyou are not going to be the wearer.
Much of the time, the reason a person is looking at a lower color stone is that a certain size is more obtainable in that size (though there are people who just love low colours), and one thing that is VERY true in our culture (US) is that most people, especially most women, notice size above every thing else (provided the diamond is not actaully dull with visible black spots) so a large I is going to be admired, especially if it is eye clean and beautifully cut, much more than a smaller stone of higher color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results