shape
carat
color
clarity

Will I regret lab diamond projects?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I totally get what you’re saying. But what if I bought the earthmined piece secondhand, and for a steal?

There aren’t enough lab diamonds around, but years from now I imagine I could buy a lab diamond secondhand for a steal.

Soooo I guess what I’m trying to say, is that if I think there’s a chance I might not keep forever, I have to buy secondhand lol

You make a good point though- if you don’t think you’re going to keep it forever, or you’re on the fence about the style, if you find a good deal second hand, you can often recoup almost 100% of your cost. Anything bought new is more likely to depreciate.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m totally in the same boat. Cz studs look pretty damn good and studs don’t get as much hard wear as rings do...

Missy! I didn’t know you had a moissanite ring. I love your style and would love to see it, if it’s not too much trouble?

Thank you! I don’t have the ring with me at the beach house but here are the most recent photos I have of it.

In the car

383D4361-E4DD-42F5-8BC7-DBFEB26A60DF.jpeg
7E5944A6-F9C6-4C67-80C4-12DBA6BFD2AA.jpeg
F6B33E05-E0A2-4877-BDBD-621FC9E22D09.jpeg

It’s an AVC Moissanite and the setting is by David Klass.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You make a good point though- if you don’t think you’re going to keep it forever, or you’re on the fence about the style, if you find a good deal second hand, you can often recoup almost 100% of your cost. Anything bought new is more likely to depreciate.

...or at least, not lose 50%. That’s how I see lab diamonds. New. Brand new. Exciting. And a good way for me to lose money, unless it’s the 2ctw studs and I wear them every day ;-)

Then cost-per-wear comes into play!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I don’t have the ring with me at the beach house but here are the most recent photos I have of it.

In the car

Daaaaaaamn! How have I never seen this before? Tag me if you ever sell lol! It’s stunning.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
While I love my Lightbox 2ct tw custom platinum studs, for some reason I still prefer earth mined.

I'm already beginning to question if I should have just gone for what I really wanted, which are 3ct tw earth mined studs.

I'm not much of a pre-loved person.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
While I love my Lightbox 2ct tw custom platinum studs, for some reason I still prefer earth mined.

I'm already beginning to question if I should have just gone for what I really wanted, which are 3ct tw earth mined studs.

There will be many of us who would love to buy those two ct lightbox studs from you should you want to sell! ;-)

Can you put your finger on why you prefer earth mined?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
There will be many of us who would love to buy those two ct lightbox studs from you should you want to sell! ;-)

Can you put your finger on why you prefer earth mined?

I know lab diamonds are real diamonds with the same chemical (composition, hardness, toughness, durability) and optical properties. But it just feels not as "real" to me for some reason, perhaps because it was made in a lab vs. from billions of years in nature and isn't "rare"?

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock

If I remember correctly, this is not a new dilemma fo you and you’ve been debating the price benefits of lab with your emotional pull to mined for months. As a lab lover, I think you should get the mined you really want, as long as it’s in your budget. Why are you forcing yourself to be ok with lab when you’re not?

Sell them, chalk it up to a life lesson, and make yourself happy! JMO.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I consider jewelry to be a luxury purchase, not an investment. My investments are one thing. My luxury purchases are another. For that reason, I buy what I know will make me happy. I own mined diamonds and lab diamonds, and I enjoy them both. Personally, I believe that lab diamonds are a better value for your money if you can get them at a price of at least 40 percent less than comparable mined diamonds. This is my personal line in the sand for lab diamonds. I'm not a jeweler or an economist, but when faced with a perplexing choice like this one, I had to come up with something to help me make my decision. Good luck.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

In the car

:kiss2::love::love::love::love::love::love:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@vintageloves Yes, I think I just need to enjoy the lab diamonds as they are. There are definitely benefits to lab diamonds especially around environmental impact and sustainability.

I'll probably wait for a milestone occasion for the 3ct tw earth mined studs, as it's a big purchase ($30-40K for the ones I want vs. $2.5K for my Lightbox ones). Even though I prefer earth mined diamonds, I have a hard time justifying the price compared to lab diamonds due to the opportunity cost.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No no, I don't think you will, I would LOVE to buy a AVR in a MMD (right now I'm lucky to be able to eat so no bling for me for a long time)..

Both diamonds have a place, but really don't you think it's about the brilliance, the BLING! the rainbows etc..

It's like an emerald, I would love a MMD emerald and a earth grown emerald.. because both are beautiful..

everyone here has said great things! enjoy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results