shape
carat
color
clarity

Will halo setting take away the beauty of the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antcap51

Rough_Rock
I am looking at round stones and my gf likes the halo setting. If I spend all this money on a beautiful stone not sure if I want it sent in a halo? She like halo though. Any thoughts on halo setting taking away from beauty of setting?

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think a good halo can enhance a stone. Here is a photo of one I love that I posted earlier today. Just depending on the size of the center stone I would be careful not to overdo it. I think the setting is really what pulls of any stone.

leoncushion99.jpg

I also love pave and micro pave halos...which I would certainly use if the center stone isnt too large.

-G

antcap51

Rough_Rock
I was thinking 2 ct center stone with pave halo

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My personal opinion is that a 2 ct. stone can stand on it''s own and a halo might detract from the center. But a well done halo can be gorgeous too...just a different look.

BUT, you said the key phrase "my girlfriend wants one". You have your answer. She needs to wear it the rest of her life, so get the lady what she wants!

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
2 ct is big enough to stand solo or have a halo, since at that size the halo won''t take away from its impact. For stones that big I like a split shank, for balance, but that''s just a personal taste issue.

Apocalypse

Rough_Rock
Personally I am not a fan of halos, I think some think it makes their stone look larger but in my opinion it detracts from the beauty of the stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me a 2 carat should stand alone. Halos are awesome for making smaller stones appear bigger. But if your GF wants a halo, then get her a halo. If done right, it shouldn''t take away from the stone. Leon Mege does wonderful work, www.theartofplatinum.com Good luck!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you could totally do a 2 ct round with a halo as long as you use smaller melee in the halo. I think something like the Ritani Endless Love setting could work because it''s a simple, relatively low setting with small diamonds. I know I would definitely rock a 2 ct round in a halo!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I second the split shank idea...that would be great for a haloed stone of this size!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I'd go for a split shank without a halo. I think halos look great when you have a smaller stone but I don't think a stone that big would need one.

ETA: I just reread your post and noticed that your girlfriend wants a halo. In that case, maybe go for a split shank with a halo. Do you think she'd eventually grow tired of the halo look though? I see gorgeous halos on PS often and while I love them, I often wonder whether the person wearing it will want something different in a few years.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
your girlfriend wants a halo, get her the halo, she''s the one wearing it. I second artofplatinum/leon mege...he knows how to do halo''s so they don''t take away from the center..

antcap51

Rough_Rock
Just like anything, I am sure people get sick of the halo and want a different setting. My mom just had her ring reset in a halo after 30 years. I can always get another setting down the road at least 10 years though. Thanks for all the responses.

Margarw

Rough_Rock
I wish I had a pix to share with you, but my camera is on the fritz right now! I have a 2ct rb with a Dahnov ME1 (halo) setting, from James Allen. The stone itself is beautiful, and the halo is very delicate, so it really does enhance rather than over-power or detract from the stone. As a matter of fact, I was at an upscale B&M last weekend (not buying myself, but with a gf who was) and the jeweler remarked that my ring was "absolutely stunning."

I will try to post some pix in the next day or so, but as I see it, there''s two keys to success here:

1) you already know what your GF wants
2) look for a "delicate" halo, so as not to detract from the sizable stone.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
What size fingers does your girlfriend have? If she has a size 7 finger or larger...then a 2 carat stone with a halo would look nice, while it might look a little gaudy on a size 4 finger. Has she tried on any halos, or does she just like pictures of them? If she''s tried them on and likes them even in larger sizes then...I''d get her a halo. Just keep it thin and delicate like the leon mege settings or ritani settings.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the posts above, that a 2ct may be overkill with a halo.

My boyfriend was in a similar position as you are - he was thinking of looking for a 2-2.5ct stone, meanwhile I was (and still am) in LOVE with halos! But, I didnt want a halo with a 2+ carat diamond.
So, I told him, to think about getting a smaller, better quality diamond.

So now I have a beautiful 1.71 cushion that is being set in a custom halo setting.

On the other hand, I''m a rather small person, with small fingers. Your girlfriend may be comfortable with a gigantic looking ring.
31.gif

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
also... i too think leon would be a great choice for a setting, but look into Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct. He also makes dainty, dainty halos, and he is a joy to work with.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She likes halos. She''s told you she likes halos. Get a halo. It will look lovely to HER, and as she is the one wearing it, and the one it is for... it doesn''t matter what OUR opinions are. Get the halo.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Maytal Hoftman also does very delicate halos. She did nine and I love it!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi antcap,

I agree that if she wants the halo, it would be nice to get her one.
2.gif

How about this? Buy the diamond from someone who has a good upgrade policy, and go smaller, maybe 1.5 ish. I think that would work better and look nicer. Just me.

Then, if she ever decides she just wants a single big stone, trade in the smaller one, and put a colored gem (birthstone?) in the halo.

Just a thought!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 12:21:09 AM
Author: Gypsy
She likes halos. She''s told you she likes halos. Get a halo. It will look lovely to HER, and as she is the one wearing it, and the one it is for... it doesn''t matter what OUR opinions are. Get the halo.
I would agree with Gypsy, unless she doesn''t know you are getting a 2-carat stone. If she thought you were getting something smaller, she may have thought "halo" to compensate. But if she knew 2-carats from the get-go, get a delicate tasteful halo because this is what she wants.

What do her friends have?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If SHE likes the halo, that''s what you should get. It can be done very delicately so as not to overpower or compete with the 2ct.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto - if she wants the halo, get the halo. It can be done with small diamonds to enhance the stone, not blow it out into the stratosphere.
1.gif

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Halo! Halo! Halo! If that is what your GF wants, you should give it. She made it that much easier for you by letting you know what she wants! My DH initially proposed with a round cut diamond, which he liked, although I really wanted a princes... After so many exchanges, I finally got it my way! I now have a beautiful 1.81ct princess cut, which is currently being set in a Ritani''s endless love with halo. My stone is beautiful, but I am so certain that the halo will only enhance the beauty of my stone! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results