shape
carat
color
clarity

Will an oval look good with trapezoids?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2 carat red, oval spinel, and I would like to set it in a 3-stone ring with diamonds. I have been leaning towards half-moons, but am now wondering how an oval would look with trapezoids. I couldn't find an example, but I did find kellybell's oval with bullets. I like the contrast of step cuts with the oval, and in general I like art deco pieces that mix cuts:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jai-dit-oui-i-said-yes-pics-of-my-leon-oval.87566/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jai-dit-oui-i-said-yes-pics-of-my-leon-oval.87566/[/URL]

Can an oval look good with trap sides? I am also considering shields, but can't find examples of that either. Here's an example of the different side stones available:
http://diamondsbylauren.com/DBL_sidestones.shtml
http://diamondsbylauren.com/Window_ShieldsMix.shtml

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Not a true oval but is pretty close. Not the best pic. As to whether it looks good is a personal decision.

IMG_1761_1_1_1.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I love mixed-cut rings too. I have no doubt traps would look great, but I have an even bigger love for bullets with ovals. Those shields on DbL look like the "third way" between traps and bullets. To be perfectly honest, if you get the relative proportions correct, you can't go wrong, no matter what you pick. Excited to see your eventual choice! :twirl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure that you can do a true oval with traps? I could be wrong, but when I was trying to figure out how to set my oval, I asked about that and was told that they wouldn't fit properly. Half moons were recommended to me. I'll be anxious to see what you decide to do!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the wonderful picture colormyworld--I really love your ring. I want to pair my ring eventually with an eternity with carre or baguettes, and I think it would look best if I use step cuts for the sidestones. This project is probably a year away (for a anniversary), but I will definitely post it on here.

Thanks natsplat and yennyfire for the food for thought.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, pregcurious. There are a couple of ovals with trapezoids on Google Images, but some of them are heavily haloed. I guess their being haloed allows the jeweler to use trapezoids more easily? I am not sure why it is so much of a challenge to use them with an oval, but from reading above, perhaps it is!

At any rate, I am posting the photo of one that I found.

Good luck!

Deb
:read:

SteveQuickOvalWithTrapezoidSides.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another oval with trapezoid sidestones.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

VintageOvalDiamondWithTrapezoids.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think they look great, and I also don't see the problem with using traps with ovals. Traps are just like shorter, thicker tapered baguettes, and tapered bagettes and half moons (both of which have a straight edge) are both often used with ovals. Perhaps it has to do with the particular distance between the centerstone and sidestone that some jewelers prefer?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the pics, AGBF.

IndyLady, I'm not sure why I don't see more traps with ovals. I'll have to ask when I get my ring made.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason you don't often see them together is that traps have a straight edge and ovals don't. So if you're setting them together you've either got to have a fairly straight edged oval OR you tuck the traps slightly under the oval at the sides with the setting.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LD.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results