shape
carat
color
clarity

Will all lab grown diamonds have an underlying hue?

Jewelseeker

Rough_Rock
I just read a comment by one of the experts on Reddit about labs. Someone posted a picture and asked if anyone knew of the stone in the ring might be a lab diamond. The expert asked when it was purchased and then further said it didn’t have either a blue/grey or brown/yellow tint so he was sure it was mostly likely mined. Is it true that all labs will have a tint to some extent no matter which process they were grown?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are plenty of HTHP and CVD lab diamonds with no tint. You can search Rhino’s school of rock and the gem academy on youtube for more in depth analysis on lab diamonds.

Agreed, many lab diamonds will have no tint. Probably especially true with HPHT Type IIa colorless diamonds.

Jewelseeker

Rough_Rock
He clarified the lower color grades tended to show more than a higher grade. I had just never heard it phrased that way before an panicked a little. Thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
To add to the previous comments: lab grown are graded using the exact same criteria and methodology as earth grown, and color grading is no exception. Aside from some minor nuances (pun intended, for the cases of lab diamonds that have a slight blue, or other color, hue), there should be no difference between a GIA mined E and grown E, an AGS mined G and grown G, an IGI mined D and grown D, a GCAL mined J and grown J, etc etc and on and on...

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
No, that isn't true at all. A lot of people just don't know what they are talking about and want to think they can identify lab grown vs mined by a picture. The truth is, most of the time you can't tell based on a picture or video. Some lab growns do have a blue, gray, or brown tint, but the majority that are available to consumers for purchase do not. Some earth mined diamonds have weird tints also!

Jewelseeker

Rough_Rock
No, that isn't true at all. A lot of people just don't know what they are talking about and want to think they can identify lab grown vs mined by a picture. The truth is, most of the time you can't tell based on a picture or video. Some lab growns do have a blue, gray, or brown tint, but the majority that are available to consumers for purchase do not. Some earth mined diamonds have weird tints also!
You all have all made me feel a lot better! I thought that was the case but that comment from a concierge really threw me off. Thank you!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
No.
You have to just be very careful that you end up with a yellow hue diamond. Nix out the blue and brown ones. Not worth it imo.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
State of the art processes are changing all the time.
What was true 6 months ago may not be today.
The "expert" is out of date.
Also never say "all" as more growers have started producing there is a huge range out there.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
He clarified the lower color grades tended to show more than a higher grade. I had just never heard it phrased that way before an panicked a little. Thanks!

That's true of mined stones too though, with J-Z stones showing anything from yellow, brown to green undertones. I have a mined oval that has hints of green and yellow whereas my lab studs are colourless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results