shape
carat
color
clarity

Will a "face-up white" G-J stone show color from the side?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
Howdy.

I''m a bit unclear on the near-colorless range.

I''m currently looking at several stones in the G-I range (and a J stone or two as well) that have medium blue fluorescence.

I know that fluor. can help a stone appear more white, and that most of these stones will ''face-up white'' just fine..... the question I have is, will they be tinted(?) (severely?) when viewed from the side.... how much will fluor. aid in the reduction of apparent color from a side-view?

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated... thanks for your help in advance.

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.085 H that is EXTREMELY white even from the side. I rarely see a tint to it at all, and that may only be because it's catching colors from something I am wearing.

I am now considering I & J for diamond studs and a pendant now. I think my H is so white that for something that is in the ears I could go a little lower. I have to go look at some I & J's first.

Why don't you try going to some local stores that sell loose stones and look at the differences next to each other.

A friend of mine has an I that I did see a slight hint of color in it from the side. Her stone is super white from the top though, and because it has a good cut it sparkles like mad. No one that looks at it, unless they are examining it through the pavillion would be able to see a tint and it's not super noticable.

I think now that I have my diamond, I realize that I could be more tolerable. Before getting my diamond I was really worried that my H was going to be tinted since I originally wanted a G.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The body color is more visible from a side view...as you know color is graded pavilion up...the face up position gives you the apparent color which can be deceptively colorless in comparison...important among the reasons some diamonds are cut and faceted the way they are...to hide both color and inclusions.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
One other thing to consider that you didn't mention is how big the stone is. Generally, color will become more apparent as the stone gets larger. So, while I don't see hardly any tint from the side at all in the 0.6 carat H colored stone I bought, I suspect that if the stone was say 2 carats, the H color tint would be a lot more apparent from the side. For arguments sake, considering a 1 carat stone, I would think that you'd see very little tint at all in G color from the side. I think you might see a little bit of a tint in an H color stone, but unless it was next to a higher colored stone, it probably wouldn't be very noticeable (depending on how color sensitve you are, since some people notice color more than others). I-J color is where I think the tint would be more apparent from the side, while the stone could still face-up very white. Flouresence can help the stone appear whiter, but just keep in mind that it only has an effect in some lighting, like sunlight. The other question is how open the setting will be, and how visible the sides and bottom are. If it's not a very open setting, than the body color of the stone becomes less of an issue.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at a 1.5 ct J stone that was very, very well cut...and face up, it stood its own next to my 55 pt F-Gs...but from the side, like diamondexpert says, you can see the body color.... It's up to YOU and what your color tolerance/preference is...The stone I saw was AMAZING....my problem is that I have 7 wedding bands all F-G in color (it's a sickness...diamondbanditis) and next to the J, I felt uncomfortable that someone could take a side view and see the body warmth...if I didn't have those bands, I'd have purchased the J stone on the spot...

As everyone says...look, look, look...& educate yourself, then only YOU can ultimately determine your preferences for diamond color, and everything else for that matter.
1.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/16/2004 10:35:38 PM Jennifer5973 wrote:

I just looked at a 1.5 ct J stone .... I'd have purchased the J stone on the spot...

----------------
Is this the training stone to the ten year princess?
1.gif
I take DH wasn't with you
2.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I'll have you know, Mr. Noobie, that I am currently fishing around for a "fun" stone to hold me over until the 10 yr monster princess comes around...I actually visited Superbcert in NYC and saw some AMAZING things for myself.... Quite the adventure.....I keep vacillating between a marquise (horror of horrors) set on its side (thanks MMM for the idea) and an H&A round... I thought this J was it but alas, may not be for me....
1.gif

The hunt continues.... Maybe by Christmas I'll have found it.
rolleyes.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Well that's a whopper of a fun stone! Good luck, but I think you'll need another one to keep it company
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
From your mouth to God's ears...
2.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
I just received my "J" yesterday and face-up...no yellow anywhere. Sideways, I saw a faint of yellow but had to look real hard for it. However, my ring is not mounted yet. Once mounted, I don't think I'll see any yellow from the side....I love it and the price was right!

Jenn

Rough_Rock
If you look at my avatar to the left of this post, that is my I color diamond viewed from the side! I personally can't see any yellow in it from any angle. It has medium blue flourescence and I'm THRILLED with it.

Edited to add a bigger pic:

jennside2.jpg

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
Also,

My H from the sideview usually (about 95% of the time) looks colorless. I love when I drive home from work I can see clear through it and I would swear that is what a D must look like!!

Honestly is looks so colorless that I really think that I want to start testing out some lower colors.

My stone also has no Flouresence, so I am sure that if you find one with some it will only help!

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
Hi there!
I recently compared my friend's .72 G color diamond next to my own .75 J color diamond. Face up, I could not tell the difference in color between her stone and my stone. However, from the side, I could tell the difference. Mine had a tint of yellow in it, while hers was pretty white.. it's not that easy to see so I had to look at it for a while. However, face up, I couldn't tell.

And neither of our stones have any flourescence, so I can't tell you my opinion on that.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
Thanks very much for the pics...

The stone is a .75, that will be set in G&A TR-025 (tension set)...
The openness of the setting and the fact that white gold will be used is why I have a bit of concern, but frankly, I really think I've found what I have been looking for.

It comes down to the cert numbers now & seeing it in person.

Any other opinions on J color & Blue Fluor would be great. (and pics even better!)

diamonddoll

Rough_Rock
Bearing in mind what everyone else has said about seeing a hint of color form the side, as long as that dosen't bother you, go with J. But I recommend seeing them in person. so you can tell how color sensitive you are. Otherwise, a G is great. If you can't see the stones in person cuz you're dealing with an internet vendor, browse at a local mall or jewelry store to comapre the colors and see how they strike you from the side view.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
The thing about viewing other stones of similar color is finding ones that are as well cut (and finding ones with fluorescence)....

I know I've eliminated a large population of stones by searching for a similar stone with 'Excellent' GIA standards for symmetry and med-blue fluor.... so finding a local example is difficult enough.

Fortunately, I believe I'll be getting information from the Sarin tomorrow to see if it comes close.... from there (really hoping it's still in the game), I hope to see it in person - side by side with some other stones.

Thanks for any additional information or photos posted...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results