shape
carat
color
clarity

Wild price swings at James Allen

doublegg

Rough_Rock

Over the past few days, I've noticed extreme price swings at JA. On Friday, I had quite a few stones in my cart that were Round, E/F, VVS2/VS in weights of 1.7-2. All were priced between $3500-5k. Now a similar search has prices nearly 70% higher. Some of the cuts didn't meet GIA/AGS ideal standards but some did. Really confused by the pricing strategy here and wild swings in the market. Seems other sites have followed suit. Could these increases be directly associated with v-day? Any theories out there on why this happens and if I should put my search off until after the made up holiday?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Over the past few days, I've noticed extreme price swings at JA. On Friday, I had quite a few stones in my cart that were Round, E/F, VVS2/VS in weights of 1.7-2. All were priced between $3500-5k. Now a similar search has prices nearly 70% higher. Some of the cuts didn't meet GIA/AGS ideal standards but some did. Really confused by the pricing strategy here and wild swings in the market. Seems other sites have followed suit. Could these increases be directly associated with v-day? Any theories out there on why this happens and if I should put my search off until after the made up holiday?

It's entirely possible that prices have been bumped prior to Valentine's Day - as to how much that might be the case... I don't know. We have no way of tracking the market (AFAIK) so I think all we can do is as you mention - keep an eye on stones we like and be prepared to pounce if they come down (accepting they may go before that point).

Not very useful!

Ritani breaks their pricing down into their costs and profit margin, so it's clearer for purchasers, if that's any help :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results