shape
carat
color
clarity

Wild Antique Heirloom Ring

Saiege

Rough_Rock
I shall post pictures with this soon.

So I have a ring that's been passed down on my mom's side. It was in a 14k band, found out recently the two diamonds on the side were CV's. Super sad. But the beauty of the show is the CS.

It is a purple stone, apparently grade A, in normal light. Has the reflexes of red in sunlight. Turns a little darker in other settings, hard to describe the color, like a smokey purple color. I took it in to Jared's to tell me what kind of stone this is.

I always knew it just could not be amethyst. The red was throwing me off. It's guessed to be around .75 carats, circular shape.

Hardness scale is there. But just a little tiny scratch, with everyday wear through 4 generations.

Now here is the kicker.

This stone is reading as a Sapphire.
Under the scope, it turns green. Not an emerald green but a green/yellow change.

Your characteristics of alexandrite..

This stone has stumped everyone at the jewelers. This stone is so wild, that at first they thought it was fake!!

I'm so confused because sapphires shouldn't turn green like that, nor should they test as Sapphire if it is alexandrite.

Do I have a rare stone or something??

1237412xwco8j4coz.gif

So naturally we won't really be able to tell what type of gem it is just by your description, or even with photos. But my guess is that, if the accent stones are CZ, the center stone is likely synthetic corundum. You never know though... it could be amethyst, as you suspect, or another natural gem variety. If your curiosity gets the best of you, you could always send it into a lab for a definitive answer. Good luck!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From your description, sounds like alex is out of the question, because its colorways behave exactly the opposite of what happens with your stone. But then, maybe its a special Contrarian Alexandrite :lol-2:

And of course, welcome! You, my friend, have just fallen down a long and thrilling rabbit hole!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds wonderful
i love inherited jewellery

please dont be put off if its a man made stone
back in that day they were highly desired

im very much looking forward to seeing it

and welcome !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results