shape
carat
color
clarity

Wife's 50th in about 18mo...

mattn

Rough_Rock
Greeting all, my wife will be turning 50 and I've got about 1.5yrs to put something together. Her current collection consists of diamond studs, diamond wedding ring, pearl necklace and matching earrings. So not a ton there...

I'm toying around with the idea of picking up 5 stones to represent each of the decades of her life and leaning towards sapphires: blue, green, red (ruby), purple and maybe yellow or pink. I'm budgeting btwn 30-50k for this endeavor. I had initially thought to do five rings (different cuts) but had some recommendations to consider a more diversified set: earrings, bracelet, pendant, casual ring, formal ring. The latter has a nice ring (no pun intended) to it and has tickled my fancy a bit (I love a good hunt :). Though not sure I'd even know where to begin and how to match (or is that necessary) the pieces.

Alas, I'm looking to get some assistance in pointing me in the right direction.. I've bookmarked the list of trusted vendors provided here and will make my way through them, but in this case I'm wondering if it's better to zero in on one company or person for everything... Fortunately I have some time and am always up for a good hunt.

Love to hear any ideas and/or opinions on the choices before me.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
I like the idea of a set.
Mixing colours in one ring can be one of those things that can end up just looking wrong.
It does work, especially if it is a main stone with accents of another colour, but if it is a few different colours it gets a bit harder.
It will come down to if you think she will where the set, even if it is different parts for different occasions. There will be no point getting a bracelet or ring to match a pendant and earrings if you don't feel she would wear them all together or singly.
I have done a few Pendant, Earring, Bracelet sets over the years, but most don't get the ring to match. It is prefered to get something more individual for the ring.
Just an observation. I'm in Australia and styles are different region to region
Keep in mind that earrings are like buying two pendants. A bracelet is like buying five pendants.
This is because the stones, metal, and labour are multiplied this much. See how it affects your budget and decide if you want to go down that road.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get your wife's feedback about what she would prefer. There may be something that she would love to have but not asking for. I do like the idea of the 5 stone ring, both that they are beautiful and also symbolic of the anniversay. But I would make them all diamonds or all stones of the same color.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
5-stone was also my first thought - a center CS flanked by diamonds can be a nice look.

Were you thinking of *different* colors for different pieces, or is there a particular color she likes or has a connection to?

The 5 piece route is an interesting one - but certainly a challenge! What do you think about many pieces that might not get worn together frequently vs fewer pieces (like a single ring) that might be more versitle?

mattn

Rough_Rock
I should have clarified better in my initial posting but I meant to say 5 stones producing 5 different rings. I sort of want this to be a surprise so would prefer not to get her input atm.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A set of Cartier style stacking rings would be nice if it's her style. Perhaps 3 stacking rings with a matching pendant and simple earrings.

_6200.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A set of stacking rings came to mind, all Sapphires perhaps, and one can add other rings/gemstones to the set, like different colour pearls, at a later date.

Other interchangeable ideas include diamond huggies with interchangeable drops, again, one can add to the collection at a later date; a charm bracelet with interchangeable gemstone and pearl charms (attach them to the bracelet using split rings).

Good luck with your thoughtful project, and please post updates!

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 5 ring idea. To my mind they need to be thin, but even then 5 stacked rings, is a lot of rings on one finger. I think the eternity style ie gems all the way around. You could do Ruby' (red) sapphire (blue) sapphire (yellow), emerald (green) and white (diamond). Other colours might be purple (amythest or sapphire) dark red (Garnet) pale blue (aquamarine) etc. and I like the idea of a diamond stud type earring with 5 different "dangles" that can be added as she deserves.
Ps I got a lovely watch for my 50th!

mattn

Rough_Rock
I personally love watches but have found few women's watches that I like. They generally seem to me as an after thought and usually too jewel encrusted and detract from the "time" essence of the watch (not to get too ethereal, but I do love watches :))

The stackable ring is interesting. I was just thinking rings that can be worn individually depending on mood or occasion and wasn't necessarily thinking they would always be presented together.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Great food for thought.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about watches that SHE may like? :naughty:

I love watches too, however, I already have 2 good dress/evening watches, and can't really justify anymore (unlike other blings where no justification is required). However, I may need to save up for a new-this-year Chaumet's Liens Lumière (the smaller version in stainless steel with diamond surround) - it looked good on my wrist when I tried it on! :bigsmile:

mattn

Rough_Rock
I have several watches (mostly vintage) that we share. Her daily is a ray mears citizen (she enjoys being able to swap out the nato straps) indestructible :) and she wears a piaget asymmetric and a vintage (1925) square hamilton when it needs to be a little more formal. Vintage (men) watches tend to a be a little smaller than modern day so works well on a woman's wrist, IMO. I do love the vintage women's art deco/victorians pieces.

That said, I find the current trend of women wearing larger men's watches to be attractive as well (as a casual look).

Would love to see a photo of your (anyone) women's watch if you care to share.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you ask, therefore, it is not thread-jacking to post a pic of my Ebel Beluga (don't have a pic of my Balmain Haute Elegance and the day/casual watch that is Ebel Beluga Manchette):

ebelbeluga.jpg

I would love another Ebel Beluga with a diamond surround, however, Chaumet's Liens Lumière has topped it on my wish list for watches.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My goodness, you have a healthy budget for a great present, and this could be really fun! How about a majorly impressive hand-forged sapphire or ruby ring for her right hand, and/or a similarly amazing pendant?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, receiving a matching set would feel scrumptious. Pick her favourite colour and go from there. You can do a earrings, pendant and ring set.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you go towards the idea of getting a set you could widen your choice of stones to Tourmaline and Garnet.
This would give you a much broader colour range in larger sizes to choose from for the same budget, or less.
This would then allow you to put more into the metal, labour, and diamond accent costs to create something standout.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
Or Spinel!
A bit harder to get nice matching material, but still possible.

If blue and green are the colours she likes AJS gems had some beautiful matched sets put together in blue Apatite and Mali Garnet.

S

SparkliesLuver

What a truly thoughtful (and well-prepared) man, and an extremely lucky woman! :D And talk about a super fun project. :dance:

Some thoughts: Personally, I'd vote for 5 stones for 5 separate rings, but that's coming from someone who doesn't stack yet loves rings. You could maybe do a different ring style based on that decade you were together. Possibly even base it on her style during that decade, or work something special into the design to represent a milestone that happened.

Would you want these pieces to be everyday or more special occasion? Do you think she'd gravitate more toward a set (ring, earrings, necklace, etc.) or five totally separate pieces? I'm guessing she doesn't wear her pearl set too often, but do you think that's because of what it is or that she's more into rings?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about some colored diamonds, maybe a ring and earrings?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On the set front, what about having one of the elements being a parti sapphire? That might be an interesting way to throw a little 'variety' into the color of the set without trying to coordinate two different solid colors.

mattn

Rough_Rock
Interesting, maybe the popular ring design from the various decades (60-70, 70-80, 80-90, 90-2k, 2k-2010)? I like it!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1477316702|4089972 said:
For me, receiving a matching set would feel scrumptious. Pick her favourite colour and go from there. You can do a earrings, pendant and ring set.

I like this. Even a really nice ring, and a pendant to match would be really nice.

mattn

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1477329984|4090060 said:
What a truly thoughtful (and well-prepared) man, and an extremely lucky woman! :D And talk about a super fun project. :dance:

Some thoughts: Personally, I'd vote for 5 stones for 5 separate rings, but that's coming from someone who doesn't stack yet loves rings. You could maybe do a different ring style based on that decade you were together. Possibly even base it on her style during that decade, or work something special into the design to represent a milestone that happened.

>Love this idea about 5 rings based on the decade! Maybe possible to find what ring style was popular for the 60's-2010's?

Would you want these pieces to be everyday or more special occasion? Do you think she'd gravitate more toward a set (ring, earrings, necklace, etc.) or five totally separate pieces? I'm guessing she doesn't wear her pearl set too often, but do you think that's because of what it is or that she's more into rings?

>Her style has always been more dressed down (former marine) and we live in NYC/East Village which is can be a bit bohemian/gritty at times. For 5 rings, I think some could be formal (we've been trying to dress up more) and some can be casual.

S

SparkliesLuver

mattn said:
>Love this idea about 5 rings based on the decade! Maybe possible to find what ring style was popular for the 60's-2010's?

Her style has always been more dressed down (former marine) and we live in NYC/East Village which is can be a bit bohemian/gritty at times. For 5 rings, I think some could be formal (we've been trying to dress up more) and some can be casual.

I'm all about sentiment, so maybe more about her style during those decades. For example, maybe a low-set, bezel red stone (or gray) or aquamarine to symbolize the time she spent in the Marine Corps? That sort of thing. Your answer to my second question was very helpful! Thank you. Do you have any idea about her finger size? My guess is her fingers are smaller, and since I doubt she wants to rock a huge ring, staying modest and classic would probably be good. Is that fair to say? But maybe the fifth ring could be a little something more, like a halo or 3-or-5-stone ring.

ETA: I envision something like this well-cut aquamarine (that's a nice 7.8mm) in my favorite trillion bezel setting with a matte finish. Classic, no fuss, smooth lines, aquamarine for the Marine Corps (or you could go with their red), etc. To me that's a nice representation. Figured I'd try to put together one example. :)

_38489.jpg

_38490.jpg

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Does she have a diamond pendant necklace?

I too like the 5 eternity stacking rings of various color stones and styles.

DelsFan

Rough_Rock
Greeting all, my wife will be turning 50 and I've got about 1.5yrs to put something together. Her current collection consists of diamond studs, diamond wedding ring, pearl necklace and matching earrings. So not a ton there...

I'm toying around with the idea of picking up 5 stones to represent each of the decades of her life and leaning towards sapphires: blue, green, red (ruby), purple and maybe yellow or pink. I'm budgeting btwn 30-50k for this endeavor. I had initially thought to do five rings (different cuts) but had some recommendations to consider a more diversified set: earrings, bracelet, pendant, casual ring, formal ring. The latter has a nice ring (no pun intended) to it and has tickled my fancy a bit (I love a good hunt :). Though not sure I'd even know where to begin and how to match (or is that necessary) the pieces.

Alas, I'm looking to get some assistance in pointing me in the right direction.. I've bookmarked the list of trusted vendors provided here and will make my way through them, but in this case I'm wondering if it's better to zero in on one company or person for everything... Fortunately I have some time and am always up for a good hunt.

Love to hear any ideas and/or opinions on the choices before me.

I see this thread is a year old, but you said you had 18 months before your anniversary so I'll chime in. My wife's graduated five-stone wedding ring is shown in my avitar and she gets compliments on it all the time. This is partly because of the ACA diamonds (from Whiteflash, I am thrilled with the ring but there are some other vendors here with "superior" diamonds also), but the style is distinctive also. One drawback in my mind is there is a limit to how a large the diamonds can be, since at some point the first and fifth stones get too far around to the side and the ring becomes uncomfortable (it would seem, others can chime in here - my wife says hers is really comfortable in a size 5.75). Her diamonds are 1.0, 0.40, and 0.30 (or 0.25, I cannot remember). With this same ring I think you could go to a 1.5 carat center stone and leave the others the same, and let the center stone stick up slightly, and be OK - if that suites your taste.

In case you get an email notice when someone replies to your thread, I write now because I'm looking for earrings - something like huggies, or hoop earrings, probably with five diamonds. I hope this is somewhat helpful; please note: from what I read the 2.0 ctw earrings are small, and the ones with smaller diamonds are really small!

I offer my ideas but expect also they may be a little less grandiose (with which there is nothing wrong when it comes to jewelry or gifts for one's wife) than what your budget will support. But maybe, if you haven't made a decision already, a five-stone ring with five-stone earrings might at least give you some more ideas.

00001b  Ring 375x375 no logo.jpg Another view of my wife's ring.

Examples of five-stone hoop earrings, or huggies:

Shared-Prong-Diamond-Hoop-Earrings-in-18k-White-Gold_gi_6473-200_th-39127.jpg Shared-Prong-Diamond-Hoop-Earrings-in-18k-White-Gold_gi_6473-200_w-39128.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would either go with a good gemcutter and ask to cut a good set of matching stones, they can be sapphires of different colors but the same cuts, or vise versa. Spinels could also work for this purpose. PSers could probably give you the names, I am afraid to upset anyone by not mentioning.

Or, alternatively, find a good jeweler (who will have the time to work at your project because it is an important date) and ask for his/her input. Maybe the person could source out the stones.

I am reading all advises, some I agree with, some don't. (Personally, I'd invest into one colored diamond ring and call it a day ;-) or a 5-ct spinel, 1 ct for every ten years). I have several sets and my personal experience is, people seldom wear sets on a daily basis. But you have a very inventive idea, and you would wish to see all of the stones on your wife, right? What will happen IRL is that your wife will probably choose one "favorite" piece, or two, and add it to her regular jewelry, and you will be asking her why is she not wearing the rest?

So what I would start with would be asking your wife about her favorite colored stone. You mentioned sapphires and rubies; do you know that your wife prefers them? What if she says, "emeralds?" Or i would ask your wife about her favorite color, and go from there.

P.S. I looked up our "rainbow" poll. The poll results can be helpful in interpreting the top colors as what most women would prefer. Red, blue, green, and yellow comes next. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...bow-including-poll.215835/page-9#post-4220158

(If you don't want to ask your wife but don't want to "miss" her favorite color).

Last edited:

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Arkteia - I would find out her favorite colored stone or just her favorite or most-worn color and go from there. I personally DO like matching sets (earrings, pendant, ring), but it might feel a bit much to wear them all at once plus her wedding rings if your wife is a more casual type.

I don't like the idea of 5 different colored sapphires. Sapphire, to me, does a few colors really well (mostly red and blue -- though the best examples of those will be very costly and even 1 could potentially blow your budget -- but also pink and purple) and other colors ... not so well. Even if you could find 5 pretty examples of multiple colors of sapphires, having them match in terms of saturation, cut quality, size, etc., seems to my mind very difficult. And there are SO many stones that are lovelier than sapphires to me, but perhaps I am biased. Paraiba tourmalines, Mahenge spinels, Luc Yen and cobalt spinels, Tsavorites, fine, glowing Emeralds, etc etc. 5 rings also seems overkill to me. I also imagine that she'd pick the 1 or 2 she likes the best and wear them frequently while the others sit in the jewelry case.

If you're stuck on *5* pieces for the symbolism, you could always do ring, pendant, 2 earrings and 2 earring jackets to go with them and dress up the earrings for times when she'd like to go fancier. I'll attach a pic of my diamond bezel studs in their earring jackets in case you aren't familiar with what jackets are (my hubby wasn't). As you can see, when the studs are in the jackets, they look fully integrated, but when I remove them, I have much simpler diamond studs for everyday wear.

Just some thoughts. I'd love to have this project and that budget, so you have a world of possibilities to consider. It's a good, but overwhelming, situation! Good luck!!
halo_20.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results