shape
carat
color
clarity

Wife Droped Diamond...

teddym

Rough_Rock
Basically my wife was scoping out her new sparkly diamond that has not been set yet when she let up on the tweezers and dropped it on the floor. It landed on the carpet and was dropped from around knee height. I looked at, it seems to be fine but shes been freaking out. Are we overreacting or do we need to take it to a jeweler to asses the damage?

Q

Queenie60

do you have a loupe? I'm sure it is fine, I have dropped many diamonds in my day. Yes, a jeweler can loupe it to see if there's a chip. Good luck.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
The first time I looked at a diamond with a jeweler, I squeezed the tweezer a tad too hard and it literally went flying across the desk against a glass window. I freaked the hell out and he laughed.

Inspect it with a loupe for peace of mind if you have one - but you are fine.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was a student at GIA, we had some spring loaded holders for holding the diamond when looking at it under the microscope.

If you did not get them in just right, or moved them while looking at the diamond, these "spring loaded stone throwers" would launch the diamond that you were looking at into orbit. It was not at all uncommon for the instructor to turn the room lights on and ask us all to quit what we were doing and look for the errant diamond. No one was allowed into or out of the room until the diamond was found.

The good news is, that will all of the drops, sling shots and bounces, none of the diamonds were ever damaged in their journeys.

Wink

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
The first time I looked at a diamond with a jeweler, I squeezed the tweezer a tad too hard and it literally went flying across the desk against a glass window. I freaked the hell out and he laughed.

Inspect it with a loupe for peace of mind if you have one - but you are fine.
:eek-2:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen people in the trade on IG mention losing a stone in the grass while they were taking photos of it :eek2:

teddym

Rough_Rock
When I was a student at GIA, we had some spring loaded holders for holding the diamond when looking at it under the microscope.

If you did not get them in just right, or moved them while looking at the diamond, these "spring loaded stone throwers" would launch the diamond that you were looking at into orbit. It was not at all uncommon for the instructor to turn the room lights on and ask us all to quit what we were doing and look for the errant diamond. No one was allowed into or out of the room until the diamond was found.

The good news is, that will all of the drops, sling shots and bounces, none of the diamonds were ever damaged in their journeys.

Wink

That makes me feel a lot better! I wasn't so worried about it chipping since the fall was on carpet and about knee-high. I was afraid it got scuffed or scratched.

teddym

Rough_Rock
I've seen people in the trade on IG mention losing a stone in the grass while they were taking photos of it :eek2:

Geez that sounds like a nightmare!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock

Someone here on PS posted a story a few years back about taking their new spinel out to look at it in the sunlight... where it promptly fell through the cracks of their deck and was never seen again. :eek2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I drop my diamond rings, studs.. all the time..usually on my marble counter or wood floor.....I can’t tell you how many times I hit them on metal. I keep a loupe in my purse and check it out every time. My heart skips a beat until I see AGAIN that it’s perfectly fine.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If she's losing sleep over it, take it to a jeweler and ask. Usually, this sort of advice is free, it can be done while you wait, and most don't bite. At worst you'll be subjected to a sales pitch. Your odds of damage from this are extraordinarily low. You might want to invest in a loupe for future situations like this. They're not very expensive (a few dollars on Amazon) and are generally pretty useful things to have around the house anyway. You'll thank me next time you get a splinter.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it fell on carpet from 10 (or 20+) feet, you'd still be fine. It's carpet.

teddym

Rough_Rock
If it fell on carpet from 10 (or 20+) feet, you'd still be fine. It's carpet.

This might sound hilarious but our rec room where the diamond was dropped has industrial-grade carpet (the type you see in offices) It is not as fluffy as regular carpet, This is the source of my wife's panic :lol:

I looked it over with the cheap loupe I have, didn't see anything. I think we are in the clear haha

teddym

Rough_Rock
If she's losing sleep over it, take it to a jeweler and ask. Usually, this sort of advice is free, it can be done while you wait, and most don't bite. At worst you'll be subjected to a sales pitch. Your odds of damage from this are extraordinarily low. You might want to invest in a loupe for future situations like this. They're not very expensive (a few dollars on Amazon) and are generally pretty useful things to have around the house anyway. You'll thank me next time you get a splinter.

The cheap one I have was from amazon the lense is made out of plastic, not glass. would you happen to have a link to a decent loupe? I have to make sure I'm prepared when I get that splinter.
icon_lol.gif

teddym

Rough_Rock
I ran mine through the garbage disposal and it can out PERFECTLY unscathed.

Oh man, after seeing this I just feel silly! haha

teddym

Rough_Rock
I drop my diamond rings, studs.. all the time..usually on my marble counter or wood floor.....I can’t tell you how many times I hit them on metal. I keep a loupe in my purse and check it out every time. My heart skips a beat until I see AGAIN that it’s perfectly fine.

When that little rock hit the floor my heart stopped! so i know the feeling lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results