shape
carat
color
clarity

Width of bands in classic Tiffany-style settings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hi girls,
I am hoping some 'experts' will weigh in on this... and that the rest of us can just give our non-expert opinions as well!
9.gif

I am currently midway through an engagement ring project (upgrade!
36.gif
) that I am doing with a local diamond guy, Jogia Diamonds, based in Perth.
To be honest, they are a really nice family outfit, and I like them quite a lot.

The thing is, they are really focused on diamond quality, with the emphasis on cut, and their settings are not the focus of their expertise.

However, they are getting a manufacturing jeweller on board, and I expect that they will be moving towards a more dynamic design process in the future..

Sorry for all the background...

So I go into the office, and it was all about the diamond (fair enough)
I finally selected one, and then it was almost an afterthought to find the correct setting. Basically, I was expected to pick on from their online CADs!

(They are currently in the process of building up some stock for showing purposes.)

Upshot is, I think the only solitaire ring I could see 'in the flesh' was their Tiffany-style setting, called 'Cuts Like A Knife'. It was in WG, and measured about 3.5mm wide in the shank, from memory. Apparently this whole ring is quite true to the spirit of the older-style, heavier Tiffany 6-prong style.

I really wanted a 6-prong sol, so I ended up choosing that one.

Anyway, I am a hardcore YG girl, and am worried that translated to the YG, it will look clunky in that wider shank. Most particularly, if I get the matching 3.5mm YG wedding band to wear with it. (diamond band to come further down the track!)

One advantage of the wide shank (as opposed to a skinny shank) is that the head sits in the shank so the wedding ring will sit pretty much flush.

Yogesh, the proprietor, is an old fashioned guy and says thinner bands look flimsy. I like this guy. He doesn't seem like a 'high fashion' guy. He says Tiffs originally cut back on the heavier knife-edge style basically to save money and now he gets a quarter of his clients asking for the thinner shanks... *shoulder shrug*

However, he says he will do what he can to accommodate my wishes regarding shank width. I'm thinking no wider than 3mm would be a more modern 'take' on the Tiffany (particularly as rendered in YG).

Originally I wanted a skinny band (I'm just a trend follower, it seems!) haha
But I would really prefer for it to sit flush as well...

How do 'the real' classic Tiff setting rings measure up width wise in the shank(heavier style vs thinner modern style), and would you tamper with a legend??

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lara, I read your post over in RT so thought I''d pop over for a look.
How fun that your working with Jogia, you must continue to report on what they''re like to work
with - how odd is the lil office, right? Not very glamorous at all, right? lol !
5.gif

Just kidding, they are certainly the best ppl to be working with locally.

imho, and you may have seen my pic in the other thread - 2.5mm is a perfect width for an ering.
Perhaps for a 6 prong, 3mm - but personally I would not want to go wider, and I can understand
your concern with the YG too.

I imagine seeing as they are manufacturing this from scratch, they can accomodate that small change right?
Btw, what size will the diamond be? And your finger size? That would also contribute to this equation of course.

I am not really able to go wider than 3 - 4mm without looking silly, as my fingers are so short.
But those with longer fingers of course don''t have this issue
1.gif

Very exciting that your upgrade is going ahead Lara!
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so take into account the fact that I am no expert, but in your situation, I think I''d try to find any jeweler in town that has bands for you to try on to see what you like best on your hand, to try different combos (do you want your e-ring to be the same width as your wedding band or can they be different? Maybe a 3mm e-ring and 2.5 wedding ring or vice versa?) Then you''ll know what you like best and can report back to your jeweler and say, "Yes, definitely, I need a 2.5mm band for both the e-ring and wedding band" or whatever. Otherwise, you might drive yourself bonkers wondering if it''ll look too wide or not and it''d be best if you can work out the widths before they start making the ring.

Lara, I''m so excited for you!! Can''t wait to see it when it''s finished!!
35.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hi arjuna! Thanks for responding to my silly and convoluted post!
I have just sent the poor long-suffering man an email asking whether it was possible to have the ring between 2.5 and ''just under'' 3mm wide..and still sit pretty much flush...

I hate myself for being so specific, but...
20.gif

The diamond is 1.11
36.gif
(I am soo excited about all this!!) and my size is H1/2, which in US terms I think measures to 4.25?

I just measured my finger haha 7cm long (excluding fingernail
3.gif
)

My current ring is 2cm at its widest part. It is soo comfy to wear!

I am planning on getting a matching knife-edge wedding band, perhaps in 3.5mm width. (I am the co-dependent type, and LERV to look married!)
5.gif

One day though, HELLO, diamond bands (perhaps for my 40th... or perhaps next week!!
3.gif

Hmmm

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yes, gwen, great suggestion, perhaps I should go and try on... I was hoping to be able to do it all at the place I was buying the ring, as I hate tyre-kicking (and I've got the kids!!)... but I guess a gal's got to do etc etc...

forgot to mention, absolutely adore your douglas adams quote...

ETA: so, are you officially engaged yet??
31.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 10:10:30 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Yes, gwen, great suggestion, perhaps I should go and try on... I was hoping to be able to do it all at the place I was buying the ring, as I hate tyre-kicking (and I''ve got the kids!!)... but I guess a gal''s got to do etc etc...
Can you try on bands at this jeweler''s place? Sounds like it''s more of an office than a full-on store but if they have different width bands, defo just try them on there! Also it''s (again, just in my opinion) a good idea to try them on if you want the knife edge bands because they aren''t going to look as wide as a flatter band (so a 3.5mm knife edge might possibly look closer to a 3mm normal band). I don''t suppose Perth has its own Tiff''s, does it?

forgot to mention, absolutely adore your douglas adams quote...

ETA: so, are you officially engaged yet??
31.gif
Thanks, dahlink! Douglas Adams is one of my all-time favourites.
9.gif

And no, not engaged yet, alas and alack. But soon! He promises soon.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 10:07:14 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Hi arjuna! Thanks for responding to my silly and convoluted post!
I have just sent the poor long-suffering man an email asking whether it was possible to have the ring between 2.5 and 'just under' 3mm wide..and still sit pretty much flush...

I hate myself for being so specific, but...
20.gif

The diamond is 1.11
36.gif
(I am soo excited about all this!!) and my size is H1/2, which in US terms I think measures to 4.25?

I just measured my finger haha 7cm long (excluding fingernail
3.gif
)

My current ring is 2cm at its widest part. It is soo comfy to wear!

I am planning on getting a matching knife-edge wedding band, perhaps in 3.5mm width. (I am the co-dependent type, and LERV to look married!)
5.gif

One day though, HELLO, diamond bands (perhaps for my 40th... or perhaps next week!!
3.gif

Hmmm
hello! I am very excited for you, and don't worry about being specific - by PS standards, this is nothing woman, lol!
I am a big believer in the fact that you (your guy) are dropping so much $$ on these things, you really just should ask for exactly what you want.[ Imho it's not the time to be passive with the requests!
3.gif
2.gif

Did you mean 2mm above? If not, thats a really wide band
6.gif

I have one of my artcarved bands which I believe is about 7mm, and comfort fit - its awesome, so comfortable!

I know they don't have anything to try on in there - I would suggest for you to go look in other stores to see what you like.
Rosendorff in Hay St of course have nice things - but are rude and their SA's are stupid
2.gif

Just near them in the mall is Exclusive Gold - if you're able to talk to the elderly guy in there, he's really kind.
Of course, if you feel like hiking a bit further, you could always go peruse the new Tiff's boutique in King St and try on the real deal
31.gif

Best of luck, can't wait to see - when is the ETA?

edi: ha ha,. I just answered your Q Gwen - we didn't until a couple months ago !

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Lara, I think you should choose whatever width you're comfortable with, and what looks good with your diamond. Tiffany varies the width of the band depending on diamond size -- the band of my .35 is very thin, a little less than 2mm. I haven't measured it, but when I've tried it on with 2mm wedding bands, it's noticeably smaller. But the larger carat weight rings definitely have wider bands, to keep the same proportions between the diamond and the band. So don't worry about "tampering with a legend!" I don't remember what size your stone is, but if you like something around 2.75-3mm, I'm sure it will look great!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh Octavia, that is very interesting. The first time I saw the ring (in the office) it was set with a .9 diamond, and the ring was I think 3.5mm... and, I thought that when I saw my proposed ring, in the YG, it seemed a little wider. I put it down to being in the YG.

And, definitely, the knife edge makes a difference, shaving quite a bit off the look of the width!

and yes AJ, my current e-ring is 2mm!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lara!

So exciting for you! I know you like wider bands, but your finger is teeny tiny so I'm going to vote with the other ladies for 2.5mm. With both bands, it will be substantial yet won't be clunky! It will be stunning!!!!

You must be so excited. I bet you dream of diamonds!

Do you think the CAD was why you thought it was clunkier? CADs look very clunky - but they're supposed to! They shave it down significantly once it's made.

Ooooohhhh....very exciting!!!!
36.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bliss! I AM super-excited!

Well the jeweller just emailed me back today and told me that the top of the ring near the head was 3.25mm wide. To be honest, this is thinner than I expected...

He says if we shave it back any further, the wedding ring will not sit perfectly flush.

I''m thinking perhaps get him to take, say, 0.3mm off anyway
20.gif
to take it just under 3mm... and live with the teensy gap that is so teensy no-one will realise except me...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 11:50:12 AM
Author: Octavia
the band of my .35 is very thin, a little less than 2mm. I haven''t measured it, but when I''ve tried it on with 2mm wedding bands, it''s noticeably smaller. But the larger carat weight rings definitely have wider bands, to keep the same proportions between the diamond and the band.
Exactly.

Lara- I''m sooooooo happy things are moving along for your upgrade process. How exciting!!!
31.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could know what the 'modern' Tiff setting prorotion would be for a 1.11.
I feel like I want to tell the guy how it is for the modern setting!
But we've agreed that for my ring, it should be taken down to about 2.7. I hope this is still not too heavy!

I posted about this in Rocky Talky as well. Sharon101 made a really good point - which was that if Tiffs had remade their setting, it was undoubtedly for a strong reason...

I guess diamond guys are not at all like designer guys, and the two types of genius simply cannot be mixed within the single brain... the prop. wants to please me though, and that is all that matters.

He says that if the band is still to heavy for me, we can remake the ring to suit.... it's part of their service.
However, he is such a nice chappy, and I get along well with him, so I am reluctant to cost him extra money on the sale by going backwards and forwards with the manufacturing side of things!!! I am such a loser!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results