shape
carat
color
clarity

Why you need ring insurance. Or, how I lost her ring on the beach yesterday.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Why? Because the world is full of people like me. :wall:

We are spending the week on the beautiful Outer Banks of North Carolina. We drove down Friday afternoon and drove out on the beach at Oregon Inlet yesterday. The Park Service has a little over 2 miles of beach open to driving if you have a $120/year permit. The permit is good on Hatteras Island and Ocracoke Island as well. It wasn't crowded, but still rutted up below the high tide line. I'll get back to this pic in a minute.

beach 6.jpg

I have small lock box with a built-in combination lock cabled to the back of the front seat track that I use to hold my keys, billfold and phone while I'm fishing or hunting seashells. As best I can figure, when we left after 4 hours I pulled my keys out of the box and her ring came with them. Oops.

We drove 18 miles north back to the cottage in Kill Devil Hills and the ring wasn't there when I took my billfold and phone out of the box. WTHeck. :oops:
I cut back the carpet, looked in the vents under the seat, and pretty much stood on my head for 20 minutes looking under the seat. Grr.

Did I mention the ring had arrived from Whiteflash on 4/10? A nice 1.51 carat F VVS2 ACA in a platinum U-113.

On with the story. The nervous breakdown continues. I told her I'd get her the cheaper of the two 2 carat stones from the Collection Series whether she wanted one that big or not. She wanted her ring and her diamond, of course. She picked them.

We got back in the 4Runner and drove the 18 miles back to the beach. It was 4 pm or so and high tide was due just after 7.
I remembered that we'd been parked next to a doughnut somebody had cut into sand by driving in a circle with 4 wheels spinning.
beach 5.jpg
I've been visiting the Outer Banks since the early '70s and have a little sense of direction.
When we left I had made u-turn through the doughnut - the doughnut being the tire track ruts running left-right in this pic. Our tracks run from the right edge off into the distance.
beach 6.jpg
It took me 10 minutes to find where I'd backed up hours and hours ago, but that gave me the precise spot we'd parked parallel to the surf. I figured where the back door would have been on the driver's side and started scraping the surface with my antique folding shovel. I'd do 4 scrapes and quickly scatter the piles and she'd follow behind breaking the little clods of damp sand with her fingertips. (Notice in the lower right corner the sand is wet. That was from a wave. The tide was beginning to move and was nearly up to us.)
beach 9.jpg
I had just done the 3rd set of scrapes when she found it. :dance::dance::dance:
beach 10.jpg
I'll have it checked when we get home, but it appears to be completely undamaged.
beach 11.jpg
I think we both aged a little, but she still doesn't look 63.
beach 15.jpg

I don't know if I need ring insurance, but I really should buy a lottery ticket.

Whew.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::(2:(2:(2:(2:(2:(2:(2:(2:(2:(2:(2:o:o:o:o:o=)2=)2=)2=)2=)2=)2=)2=)2=)2:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

I mean so many emotions when I read this story! So happy you all found it and it’s back where it belongs! Geesh! What a scary crazy thrilling and thank goodness happy ending tale!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Happy ending to a sour start. My buddy wasn’t so lucky. His girl lost her 2ct princess cut while swimming at a mutual friends house.

He bought her a second one to replace it eventually.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s insanely fortunate that you were able to find it in the sand!! Great luck! So happy you found it. :mrgreen2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous news.
Reminds me of a story from when I was 16.
We lived up the street from a huge oval / park where they used to play baseball and soccer on weekends (I used to do my jogging around it every day).
I saw a notice on a tree “Lost - Blue sapphire, treasured, irreplaceable family heirloom. Fell out of ring setting and lost somewhere here on xx. $500 reward”.
There had been the whole neighborhoods kids searching the park, $500 back then was a huge amount of money!
But of course, you can imagine how impossible it would be to find a small (about 2 carats) blue sapphire in a few acres of grass, some long and with weeds and rough areas.
Well, sometimes I get like a “calling”, can’t really explain it in words but I didn’t even look for more than 20 minutes when I just looked down and saw it at my feet.
I rang the lady, to say she was overjoyed and in complete disbelief was an understatement.
And I was actually much more pleased that I had found it and could return it than getting the reward.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, sometimes I get like a “calling”, can’t really explain it in words but I didn’t even look for more than 20 minutes when I just looked down and saw it at my feet.

I know exactly what you mean, we can't always explain these things and perhaps we're not meant to....

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so impressed that you found where you originally parked. Even though lost, great job on recovery. I would, however, suggest insurance. You may not be so lucky next time. ;)2

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yikes... My palms were getting clammy and I also felt a knot in my stomach reading this. I really wished I had skipped to the end! :confused2:

So glad you found it!

And to answer your question, YES... insure it. I’m not so certain you can be this lucky twice. ;)2

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fabulous news.
Reminds me of a story from when I was 16.
We lived up the street from a huge oval / park where they used to play baseball and soccer on weekends (I used to do my jogging around it every day).
I saw a notice on a tree “Lost - Blue sapphire, treasured, irreplaceable family heirloom. Fell out of ring setting and lost somewhere here on xx. $500 reward”.
There had been the whole neighborhoods kids searching the park, $500 back then was a huge amount of money!
But of course, you can imagine how impossible it would be to find a small (about 2 carats) blue sapphire in a few acres of grass, some long and with weeds and rough areas.
I rang the lady, to say she was overjoyed and in complete disbelief was an understatement.
And I was actually much more pleased that I had found it and could return it than getting the reward.

What a wonderful story!! I’m sure she looked at her ring from that day forward and thanked her lucky stars you found her treasured sapphire. =)2

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow what a story and I am SOOOOOO glad it had a happy ending. :appl::appl::appl: Her ring is gorgeous.

I often think of dropping my Jeweler's Mutual policy on my ring but this makes me realize it's probably a good idea to keep it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievable story - I too was getting queasy reading this! A sandy beach with tide approaching - wow! Buy some insurance and definitely buy a lottery ticket - you might be on a streak!

What a wonderful outcome - so thrilled for both of you!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is an INSANE story! U am so happy you found it! I got anxiety reading this post....my gosh!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOw!!! I was ready to start a new career as a beach comber ;-) holy heck I’m glad you found it!!! My DH and I have a similar story about losing our (remote) inn keys while on honeymoon. They fell out of his too-small pockets of his tight shorts lol

We found it. So I can only imagine your happiness (times ten billion!) of finding that ring! Whew indeed!!!!! Thanks for the word of caution :)

I am trying to not buy any jewellery expensive enough that I would need insurance. But that could change one day!

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a story! Your obvious love for your wife is so heartwarming =)2

And yes, you always need insurance for a stone like that.

fellys

Rough_Rock
Premium
What a story! I too was feeling anxious for you guys and am soooo relieved that this had a happy ending! phew. Thanks for sharing.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh!!!! A. Mazing. What an absolutely phenomenal story. Thank you for sharing the joy, and blessings for a wonderful future filled with adventure and love. And fruitful teamwork. :)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: Amazing - what a terrific lucky ending!!!! Reminds me of my HS German teacher who lost her 3 sapphire eternity bands on a beach TWICE in Germany and they were found and returned to her... :shock:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG! Have you bought a lottery ticket on that day? Because that was the luckiest day of your life!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, glad your story had a happy ending. Congratulations on your engagement!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh...my heart sank when I started reading this. So glad you found it! Almost a miracle in my book!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW! glad you found it!!!!!!!
I would have stopped and got a lottery ticket on the way home!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results