shape
carat
color
clarity

Why such price difference between vs2 and vs1?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

greengator

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
I am trying to buy a good quality diamond and stay within my budget. My question is why the huge price difference betwen vs2 and vs1 diamonds? For F, betwen 1.0 to 1.5 carats, the price for vs2 is 6275/c and the price for vs1 is 7129. And there is little difference between vvs2 and vs1. Does that mean vs1 is really close to vvs2 than vs2?
How do vs2 diamonds really differ from vs1''s?

Also what is a better compromise, E/VS2 or F/VS1?
Thank you for your help.
-- Larry

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
I would say that if you see that type of price difference between a VS2 and a VS1, you should stick to the VS2.

On the other hand, some people might insist on having the VS1 regardless of the price difference.

Supply and demand plays a big role in pricing.

Take for example the difference in price between a .99ct and a 1.00ct, it could easily be into the hundreds.

I'm sure you will do well, once you learn the ropes.

Kirk Konst

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The difference between IF and VVS1 is usually the greatest (about 20-25%) and the difference between VVS1 and VVS2, between VVS2 and VS1, and between VS1 and VS2 is about 10% for each step. But there is a bit a variability depending on market forces and considering just exactly what you are comparing.

Regards,

photogold

Rough_Rock
I bought my wife an F/VS1. The inclusions are so small, I have never been able to see them, even with a loupe. I am very happy that I didn't pay more money for a VVS. I also sometimes wonder if I should have bought a VS2 or even an SI1 and got a bigger diamond or more money in my pocket.

There is certainly nothing wrong with SI1's or VS2. F is a good color too. The best thing is to see them for yourself. Compare a 1.0 ct D VS1 with a much bigger G VS2. I bet you'll chose the bigger one
loopy.gif

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Greengator,
VS2 can have the same inclusion as SI1 the difference is that the inclusion
has to be on the side VS2 inclusions are clearly visible with a loupe,... VS1 is way better clarity, It would be hard for you to see the inclusion with a loupe,... VS1 can have cloud inclusion that borders with VVS2 depending on it's location you need high magnification to be able to see it. It's your call there is nothing wrong with larger diamond or VS2 clarity if the price is right,...

Photogold,
I would not be sorry for your investment F/VS1 is IMPRESSIVE grade. My wife has also GIA F/VS1 and I was the one to choose the grade,... Sure you are paying more money , however the grade will allways be desirable and easy to liquidate if you have to. In my area SI1 will not sell easily and SI2's are dirt cheap,.. I don't even stock tem unless it's a natural fancy colored Eye clean diamond where clarity is not as important as color.

Best
George
GLE Gem Imports

msmithmomx2

Rough_Rock
I just recently bought a G VS2 and I love it. It is so clear. The inclusions can barely be seen with a loupe. Even the jeweler had to look for quite a while to find them. I have also seen SI1 stones that were the same way. This is a great way to save money. Personally, I would go no further than SI1.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Trere you go,...
It's everyones taste,... Some time ago SI stones were not considered a "Gem" quality however the prices of VS stones are not like they used to be anymore, so people are accepling lesser clarity. As long as it sparkles!
I have seen Ideal cut SI3 - I1 stones that are absolutely gorgeous to naked eye Some are cut with extra facetes so the brilliance can hide the inclusions,.. As my Grandpa used to say,... Every Diamond has it's home,...
George
GLE Gem Imports

photogold

Rough_Rock
Lacina,

Your right, an F, VS1 is a very impressive grade, so much so that I can't imagine wanting better clarity. However, I felt that once the diamond was set in the ring it is not as impressive as in the showroom. Now when I look at it with a loupe I can see specs of dust and dirt even after cleaning it 3 times in a row. The remaining dust is more apparent than the inclusions, which I have never been able to see with a loupe.

I wondered why we have a VS1 because after I clean it it looks like a VS2 anyway.

It may be easier to liquidate, but we can't imagine ever wanting to do that. If we ever upgrade, the only option would be the store where we bought it since they will give a 100% credit for upgrades. Just my opinion.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Photogold,
You are so right,.. However this applies to all types of jewelry and rings do receive the highest degree of abuse when you wear them. I personally love high quality gems but don't like to wear them on daily bases, because I often use a hand lotion specially in the winter when my skin dries with freezing cold weather.
I own a couple of rings set with rare gems like kashmir sapphire etc.
Guess what, the $40000 Kashmir looks so bad after it gets greased up with my lotion I would not get five bucks for it,... nor receive a compliment for its gorgeous color ,... You should see a purplish Pink diamond if left uncleaned,...
My point is that gems can be only appreciated when kept clean,...
If you start thinking that you are vasting money for high grades or premium cut diamonds because of high maintenance keeping them clean it ruins the whole purpose of diamond grading and valuation,...
Best
George

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too have a VS1..a G color..and I love that it is VS1. However we didnt pay anymore for the clarity as when I had my jeweler bring in the stones, he was price matching against a stone I'd found online that was E SI1 and the ones he brought in for us were E SI1 and G VS1. We liked the G VS1 better and they were the same price. Also ours is a larger tabled stone so it looks bigger than it is....another plus over the E SI1 (plus my hawk eyes caught the carbon inclusion giving it the SI1 grade which I didn't like).

Interesting note not related to your question is that our VS1 has a series of small feathers along one edge of the girdle, and a very tiny pinpoint off to the right of the table. That is ALL that it appears to have when the magnification shots are viewed, and also per the GIA plot on the cert. So what I find interesting is that if we ever decided to have this stone recut to make it an 'ideal' cut (getting rid of the larger table), I'd lose some carat weight, but we could also fix it so that the feathers on the edge of the girdle were removed as well, probably then leaving this stone to be around a 1c ideal cut VVS1 (the tiny pinpoint would be all that is left). These are just our estimations anyway, but it's kind of a cool idea. It's almost like I have two stones in one!
1.gif

Everyone will have their own idea of what is right for them. It's a tough question you are asking ..if you are trying to figure out where to compromise on clarity. Here are my suggestions. If you are buying online, don't get less than a VS2 as you will not be able to see the stone before purchasing (most likely) and the VS2 grade makes it much more likely your stone will be VERY eye clean. SI1 can sometimes be borderline depending on the stone, and you don't want to take chances with purchasing online. If you are buying in person, view some SI1's and some VS2's to see the difference. Then view VS1. Go with what best fits in your range and what you feel comfortable with. Whatever you buy, see the plot from the certificate first, as that will show you where the major inclusions are.

Good luck!
1.gif

greengator

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody for your help. I think I am more inclined to go with a F/VS1 combination after reading through the posts here. Will keep you posted on my final selections.
-- Larry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results