shape
carat
color
clarity

Why should I avoid this stone???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kent

Rough_Rock
OK, I found this stone and am trying to get some thoughts...I''m not looking for H&A specifically, and the Crown & Pavillion angles aren''t posted on-line. Additionally, I don''t have a problem with the faint blue fluorescence. Can anybody tell me why this is/isn''t a solid purchase for $11K??

Graded by: EGL
Shape and Cut: ROUND BRILLIANT
Weight: 2.16
Clarity: SI1
Color: H
Dimensions: 8.51 x 8.43 x 5.02 mm
Depth Percentage: 59.3 %
Table: 57 %
Crown: %
Pavilion: %
Girdle: THIN
Culet: N
Polish: EXCELLENT
Symmetry: EXCELLENT
Fluorescence: FAINT BLUE

Thanks in advance for the help!!

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Avoid it? Even if it was an I color, it's still a nice stone and a not bad price. Its depth and table puts it in the 1A cut class, but the thin girdle drops it down a bit. What are the pavillion and crown angles? Since it has an EGL cert, you should have that information available.

Have you seen it in person? How does it look to you? How it hits your eye is the final determining factor.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
There are two things that we would like to point out... The first is that the GIA & AGS laboratories tend to be more strict and consistent in their grading practices than other laboratories so you should be sure to have this diamond evaluated by an independent GIA Graduate Gemologist to ensure that you are receiving the H color, SI-1 that you are paying for... Diamonds are a commodity sold based on their carat weight, color and clarity... If you are paying for an H color, SI-1 and receving a J color, SI-2 then you are paying too much. Does that make sense? The second is that you did not indicate the crown and pavilion angle measurements, you created a space for the crown and pavilion percent measurements but did not indicate those, but it is just as well because the percent measurements for the crown and pavilion are not as accurate as the angle measurements because the machines that measure diamonds actually measure the crown and pavilion angles but only estimate the percent based on those measurements...

Kent

Rough_Rock
So I just got the EGL cert. The stone measured Depth: 59.3%, Table 57%, Crown (percentage) 14%, and Pavilion (percentage) 43%. If these #'s are rounded up to the nearest 1% (meaning that they could truly be 13.5% and 42.5%), the HCA goes from .2 to 2.4. A BIG DIFFERENCE. Is it worth it to get the #'s instead of %'s? Are they even available on an EGL cert?

69gm

Shiny_Rock
another thing to keep in mind is which EGL cert is it? i've heard that EGL-USA is "okay" but other places could give it lax grading. so your SI1 H could be SI2 I...or even worse.

because of this kind of controversy, i stayed away from EGL altogether. i didn't want to go through worrying.

if you want to know more, you should get a sarin report which will give you a lot of information about the diamond. also if you still want it, get it appraised from an independent appraiser like RockDoc or Rich Sherwood. they won't steer you wrong and will tell you EXACTLY what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results