shape
carat
color
clarity

Why should consumers avoid mall jewelers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 8:33:38 PM
Author: jazmine

Date: 11/26/2006 6:36:09 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
Thanks, LadyKemma - I wouldn''t consider myself ignorant regarding my purchase! I spent countless hours on this site and others researching. I did not pay full retail price for my purchase from the mall jeweler. The setting I was able to negotiate a 40% discount. On the center stone I ended up with a 31% discount which ended up being $1-1.5k more than what I would have paid online. I got the full retail price for my trades. One of the items I traded in a was a diamond bracelet that I paid $200 for on eBay and the jewelry store gave me $800 for it. They gave me full retail on the diamond ring I traded (which was more than I padi for it too). So I don''t feel bad at all. Both the ring and stone are gorgeous.

I wouldn''t recommend the mall/chain stores to anyone unless they are well informed and NOT afraid to negotiate.
Sorry, but to me, this just means these items were grossly overpriced to begin with. And those warranties are rarely worth the paper they are printed on. Since insurance is still needed (unless you can easily replace the jewlery yourself in the case of loss/damage) what is the point?
Exactly! The average joe would go in there and pay the asking price and the store would be making big $$$ in profit. My point is, if you are armed with knowledge and not afraid to negotiate, you can get a decent deal. As for the warranty, I will have free rhodium plating for life, if the diamonds fall out they are replaced, free sizing for life etc. Yes, I will carry additional insurance to cover loss or theft or damage, but I do not want to have to pay for re-plating or re-sizing or any other type of repair.

Also, for the poster who mentioned IGI certs, all of the stones they had inhouse that were certified were IGI. Of the four they brought in from New York, one was GIA (the one I bought), two were IGI and one was EGL. Just as an FYI, all four were graded SI2 I, but one clearly had a slight yellow tint to it - don''t remember if it was the EGL or one of the IGIs. Was interesting to see them all side by side to compare...

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 12:24:53 PM

Date: 11/26/2006 8:33:38 PM
Author: jazmine

Date: 11/26/2006 6:36:09 PM
Thanks, LadyKemma - I wouldn''t consider myself ignorant regarding my purchase! I spent countless hours on this site and others researching. I did not pay full retail price for my purchase from the mall jeweler. The setting I was able to negotiate a 40% discount. On the center stone I ended up with a 31% discount which ended up being $1-1.5k more than what I would have paid online. I got the full retail price for my trades. One of the items I traded in a was a diamond bracelet that I paid $200 for on eBay and the jewelry store gave me $800 for it. They gave me full retail on the diamond ring I traded (which was more than I padi for it too). So I don''t feel bad at all. Both the ring and stone are gorgeous.

I wouldn''t recommend the mall/chain stores to anyone unless they are well informed and NOT afraid to negotiate.
Sorry, but to me, this just means these items were grossly overpriced to begin with. And those warranties are rarely worth the paper they are printed on. Since insurance is still needed (unless you can easily replace the jewlery yourself in the case of loss/damage) what is the point?
Exactly! The average joe would go in there and pay the asking price and the store would be making big $$$ in profit. My point is, if you are armed with knowledge and not afraid to negotiate, you can get a decent deal. As for the warranty, I will have free rhodium plating for life, if the diamonds fall out they are replaced, free sizing for life etc. Yes, I will carry additional insurance to cover loss or theft or damage, but I do not want to have to pay for re-plating or re-sizing or any other type of repair.

Also, for the poster who mentioned IGI certs, all of the stones they had inhouse that were certified were IGI. Of the four they brought in from New York, one was GIA (the one I bought), two were IGI and one was EGL. Just as an FYI, all four were graded SI2 I, but one clearly had a slight yellow tint to it - don''t remember if it was the EGL or one of the IGIs. Was interesting to see them all side by side to compare...

Any negotiating tips for mall stores, ImpatientOne?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Jenniegirl,

The store manager can usually knock off an additional percentage of the lowest or best ticketed price. Beyond that, they need to call the district manager. Depending upon the amount of the sale and the urgency of "closing a big sale" there is room to negotiate. Just ask, you have nothing to lose. It works at car dealerships all the time.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 3:36:29 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Jenniegirl,

The store manager can usually knock off an additional percentage of the lowest or best ticketed price. Beyond that, they need to call the district manager. Depending upon the amount of the sale and the urgency of ''closing a big sale'' there is room to negotiate. Just ask, you have nothing to lose. It works at car dealerships all the time.

How low can you go? Do you offer to pay a price of a certain percentage below the asking price?

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I would print some info off the internet (ie prices here on PS) and take it with you. Show them what you can get elsewhere and they will want to make a deal with you...

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, ImpatientOne. How about for "fashion" diamond jewlery, i.e., RHR''s and necklaces?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are paying high rents and are often trying to foist inferior product on what they hope is an unsuspecting consumer. I think some of them jack up prices so they can slash them and have big sales. If you are educated and know the quality of what you are getting, know the workmanship is good and know the price is in line, go for it, but overall I tend to think they have staff who are not super informed and less than high grade merchandise. Of course there are exceptions to this.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 9:29:18 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant
I read an interesting article this week regarding glossy catalogs. Even national retailers who have a major internet prescence, still find that folks love looking at high end glossy catalogs. Many use an abbreviated style catalog to lure you into the web based larger catalog. Here''s where mall jewelers shine. Notice that every major retailer has a glossy 15-25 page holiday catalog sitting at their entrance. Wife is out shopping for gifts in the mall. Bored hubby stops to look at the catalog. Hubby is not internet savy and has been a mall shopper for years. Jewelry salesperson lures hubby in with 12 months interest free financing and an additional 20% if he buys a gift today. Hubby gives in, opens an account, buys a gift, hides his gift, meets wife, and they live happily ever after. Quick, convenient, real human interaction. That''s what some people want and are willing to pay a little extra.
Remember that not all shoppers in every age group are comfortable with internet shopping and still prefer more traditional methods of shopping.
Personally, I buy most of my gifts on line but still pick up last minute gifts at the mall.

This is my husband. He pretty much refuses to buy online especially when it comes to jewelry. He''s told me repeatedly he''d rather see it firsthand than buy it and have to return it
38.gif
He''s bought me some nice pieces that I wear daily at mall stores. My first diamond came from a mall store and it''s not great by PS standards but I wear it in a new setting as a RHR and he got what I asked for and tried his best...it''s more about the thought that counts if you ask me. I have diamond earrings and necklaces and I don''t need them to be certified to enjoy them. He picked them out because he was thinking of me and maybe he paid much more and got less quality but it''s what he''s comfortable with and nobody off the street is coming to me and saying my 3 stone necklace is junk because he bought it at Zales or wherever. Does my Winfields Infinity AGS diamond get alot of attention...sure but it''s the one thing that I did wantI buy after doing loads of research because it was replacing my original e-ring and I wanted something I was going to be happy with for a long time to come that was a good price and exactly what I was looking for. The mall stores didn''t have what I was looking for...but then again I buy almost everything online so when he''s allowing me to choose and do the purchasing myself I have no qualms about buying online with a good return policy. Anything I can I do. I do end up returning my fair share which is a giant pain but I do like the convenience of not leaving my home and being able to shop at any time of the day. To each their own I say. If you want to purchase online...great there are many great vendors here that can help but if you are more comfortable at the mall store then do research and get your money''s worth. At the end of the day all that really matters is that you are happy with your purchase not where it came from
2.gif

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
There are many PS vendors who have 30 day no questions asked return policies now. I find it just as easy to purchase and return online than in a store, and you get a higher quality product to begin with. Just my 2cents.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lesser goods, lesser goods. I've found that the average mall jeweler in this locale will:
1. Have very few or no unmonted stones and everyone knows you should always look at it unmounted, right?
2. Have IGI or UGL certs, as others have noted here. Never GIA. I'm not sure if they would even special-order GIAs. The trunk show diamond people bring in EGL-USA certed stones, only twice/yr for special Dec and June events.
3. Forget about finding AGS cert stones in any mall store within a 75-mile radius. And AGS tend to be the superior cuts.
4. Mall stores are the home of the steep & deep cuts and heavy inclusions. i.e., they will have two 2ct diamond solitaire rings in the store. But one will be the dirtiest dubious "I2" you ever saw. The other will be slightly under 2 full ct. and respectable I1 clarity but will only have the diameter of a 1.5 ideal cut. Their "superior" quality is a dubious J SI2 with IGI cert.
5. Be stocked out the wazoo with "wedding sets" of 1 to 1.5ct TDW in 14k yellow gold. NYC must be dumping their garbage here again, LOL.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 4:50:48 PM
Author: AdaBeta27
Lesser goods, lesser goods. I''ve found that the average mall jeweler in this locale will:
1. Have very few or no unmonted stones and everyone knows you should always look at it unmounted, right?
2. Have IGI or UGL certs, as others have noted here. Never GIA. I''m not sure if they would even special-order GIAs. The trunk show diamond people bring in EGL-USA certed stones, only twice/yr for special Dec and June events.
3. Forget about finding AGS cert stones in any mall store within a 75-mile radius. And AGS tend to be the superior cuts.
4. Mall stores are the home of the steep & deep cuts and heavy inclusions. i.e., they will have two 2ct diamond solitaire rings in the store. But one will be the dirtiest dubious ''I2'' you ever saw. The other will be slightly under 2 full ct. and respectable I1 clarity but will only have the diameter of a 1.5 ideal cut. Their ''superior'' quality is a dubious J SI2 with IGI cert.
5. Be stocked out the wazoo with ''wedding sets'' of 1 to 1.5ct TDW in 14k yellow gold. NYC must be dumping their garbage here again, LOL.
wow, maybe houston is on the cutting edge, but it seems to me that zales and helzberg, at least, are getting on the "better stones with certs" bandwagon.

where are you?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the mall stores only sell what is termed 'Commercial' grade to get 'Ideal or Fine Quality' you need to go to an independent jeweller or buy online. Notice on the AGA cut grade charts 'Commercial' grade is 3 & 4 and Ideal and Fine qualities 1 & 2.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
There is a higher end to Zales (I cringe saying that)... but you will pay through the teeth for them.

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 4:50:48 PM
Author: AdaBeta27
Lesser goods, lesser goods. I''ve found that the average mall jeweler in this locale will:
2. Have IGI or UGL certs, as others have noted here. Never GIA. I''m not sure if they would even special-order GIAs. The trunk show diamond people bring in EGL-USA certed stones, only twice/yr for special Dec and June events.
4. Mall stores are the home of the steep & deep cuts and heavy inclusions. i.e., they will have two 2ct diamond solitaire rings in the store. But one will be the dirtiest dubious ''I2'' you ever saw. The other will be slightly under 2 full ct. and respectable I1 clarity but will only have the diameter of a 1.5 ideal cut. Their ''superior'' quality is a dubious J SI2 with IGI cert.
5. Be stocked out the wazoo with ''wedding sets'' of 1 to 1.5ct TDW in 14k yellow gold. NYC must be dumping their garbage here again, LOL.

Ben Bridge actually has GIA certs and AGS certed ideal cut diamonds. They are pretty, but again, OVERPRICED. Better than the common mall store though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results