shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is it so hard to find...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
garnet studs that aren't complete garbage?!?

Anyway… Hi guys! :wavey: I've been off Pricescope again… Had a little baby, no biggie. :D

He was born in January and I wanted some studs to leave in my ears next to my diamonds, since even putting on earrings every day seems like a huge investment when there's a thousand other things to be done. But I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I know I'm picky, but I didn't think I was THAT bad.

I bought some from an Etsy seller based on the stones in the picture, and what I received looked NOTHING like the picture. One heavily included stone and one cut in a completely different fashion than the other (a totally different look, even though they were both rounds). Even the color match was a bit off.

I just want some purplish-red rhodolite studs set in Sterling or white gold. Clean and well-cut is a must, 5-6mm in size. I've checked all the vendors I could think of who might carry them. I looked at Yvonne Raley's site, but the ones she has are pinker than I was looking for or are set in rose gold. I looked at mineralminers too when I found their website on a different thread but had no luck. Anyone know where I can find some?

Thank you in advance!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Kelli! I would buy the garnets separately, then send them to your trust local jeweler, or someone like Hunt Country Jewelers (they do Stuller), ID Jewelry or Brian Gavin to be set. Most of the garnet studs I see are not nice, either the stone or the setting. Africagems.com has calibrated garnets.

Blue Nile has garnets in earrings.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good to see you here!
you're right: it has been sometime and you've been busy! congrats!

yes, the hunt for garnets can be frustrating.
too many people don't know a good garnet from an indifferent one so much so it seems that vendors whether in the mall or elsewhere think they can pass off even glass as a garnet.

good luck with your hunt.
they are out there but it may just take some time.

again, good to have you here again!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
AJS has rhodolite garnet pairs.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
You might want to ask Yvonne what she has that's not listed - she usually has a lot of gems not listed, or she can almost certainly source what you want. Just be very specific with her when you say what you're looking for - and then she could set them for you in whatever metal you like :). Good luck - and congrats on the baby!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I did go ahead and message Yvonne and she's going to get stones for me! Yay! I should have done that in the first place I guess.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Awesome, that's great Kelli!! Please post pics when you get them, I hope you find just what you want :)

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!

Most garnets that are already set often appear to me as too dark, brownish and not fabulous in dim lighting. I really like the ones pregcurious posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results