shape
carat
color
clarity

Why/how Alexandrite does what it does

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting!

Additional for the strongly trichroitic alexandrite the orientation of the cut is important for the color change too.

And unfortunately the best daylight color is parallel to the a-axis and the best incandescent color parallel to the b axis.

And... the rough is often twinned...

It is sooo easy in CC garnet!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is a Brazilian alex I have. I took it outside today around 1:00 pm and in the direct sun, it just acted all confused (first pic). Then I took it out of direct sunlight to bright indirect sunlight and then it acted like a proper alex. I find the photo quite accurate, but in hand, it was ever so slightly bluer than the pic.

So Marlow, have any advice on how I can pump up the wattage on the few incandescent lights I have left in my home (mostly CFLs now) to really see its red/purple side?

alex_in_sun_11-01-14_pre.jpg

alex_daylight_11-01-14_pre.jpg

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1414874745|3776097 said:
Very interesting!

Additional for the strongly trichroitic alexandrite the orientation of the cut is important for the color change too.

And unfortunately the best daylight color is parallel to the a-axis and the best incandescent color parallel to the b axis.

wow, Marlow! are you happen to be a scientist or gemologist?

minousbijoux|1414879218|3776123 said:
So here is a Brazilian alex I have. I took it outside today around 1:00 pm and in the direct sun, it just acted all confused (first pic). Then I took it out of direct sunlight to bright indirect sunlight and then it acted like a proper alex. I find the photo quite accurate, but in hand, it was ever so slightly bluer than the pic.

So Marlow, have any advice on how I can pump up the wattage on the few incandescent lights I have left in my home (mostly CFLs now) to really see its red/purple side?

how do you capture the green spectrum of your alex?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
First, I like this alex!

Nice balanced daylight color - not to dark. Is it a stone from Multicolorgems?

I still use a 60 Watt bulb - an old one - and the lamb I got with my refractometer - these lambs are used in medicine course you need these lamps to see scarlett fever for example.

I will get in a few week a small but very nice russian EC alexandrite - a visible twinned stone - good change and I am looking forward to see it in different light conditions. The vendor has an Ph. D. in mineralogy and collected these stones in Russia. He showed me and Dr. Schmetzer several russian and brazilian alexandrite - among the russian stones a very long oval and a pear with an extremely nice change.

I will try to get them too.

Most Alex was from Sri Lanka - I saw one or two nice stones - but to expensive for this quality.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
liao|1414882264|3776140 said:
Very interesting!

No - page 111 ff "Russian Alexandrite" Dr. Karl Schmetzer :D

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1414882987|3776146 said:
liao|1414882264|3776140 said:
Very interesting!

No - page 111 ff "Russian Alexandrite" Dr. Karl Schmetzer :D

I am pretty sure that I own that book, but I cannot find it in my shelf. Perhaps, I left that book in europe :errrr: (I just move to US two months ago)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This book is great - I only don't like the pictures - he needs a better fotograf.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1414882792|3776142 said:
First, I like this alex!

Nice balanced daylight color - not to dark. Is it a stone from Multicolorgems?

I still use a 60 Watt bulb - an old one - and the lamb I got with my refractometer - these lambs are used in medicine course you need these lamps to see scarlett fever for example.

I will get in a few week a small but very nice russian EC alexandrite - a visible twinned stone - good change and I am looking forward to see it in different light conditions. The vendor has an Ph. D. in mineralogy and collected these stones in Russia. He showed me and Dr. Schmetzer several russian and brazilian alexandrite - among the russian stones a very long oval and a pear with an extremely nice change.

I will try to get them too.

Most Alex was from Sri Lanka - I saw one or two nice stones - but to expensive for this quality.

Hmm, I'm actually not sure I have any of those old incandescent bulbs around, but I will look and see if I can capture anything, or whether it will just register as a dark blob...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it! The alex was like a geiger counter; as I took it around the house, it showed me the one and only incandescent lightbulb we have in the whole house - the living room overhead light. So I managed some pics - they aren't the greatest, as its not a terribly bright overhead light, but hey, I got some at least.

alex_night_1_11-01-14_pre.jpg

alex_night_2_11-01-14_pre.jpg

alex_night_3_11-01-14_pre.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks so awesome MB!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!!! :love: :love:

This stone is fantastic!!!!! I am really jealous!!! :D

Please post the second shot ( indirekt sunlight) and one of these 3 shots in one post and please could somebody copy them into the "alex" topic!!!

Do you have the weight and again - is it from Multicolorgems??

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1414916056|3776270 said:

Please post the second shot ( indirekt sunlight) and one of these 3 shots in one post and please could somebody copy them into the "alex" topic!!!

Is this what you mean Marlow? It is about 1.7 cts and its from an Intergem vendor several years ago (had I been smart, I would've bought from Multicolour and saved $$ for sure). Thanks for the kind words.

alex_daylight_11-01-14_0.jpg

alex_night_2_11-01-14_0.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
1,7 ct Hematita alexandrite!!! I am def. jealous!!

Again this stone is a perfect example for a color change and very fine!! Most are darker ( I still love this) but this is a perfect balanced daylight and incandescent light alex!

Thank you for the picture. :appl:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1414959526|3776483 said:
Marlow|1414916056|3776270 said:

Is this what you mean Marlow? It is about 1.7 cts and its from an Intergem vendor several years ago (had I been smart, I would've bought from Multicolour and saved $$ for sure). Thanks for the kind words.

Thank you for these photo's!! OMG, both colors are BEAUTIFUL, what a treasure!!! :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the compliments. Now I have to go look up Hematita alexandrite...

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Minou! You've been holding out on us! :o What a beautiful stone, and fantastic that you captured the elusive colour change. Why oh why is it still unset?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect colours - the last time I saw such nice change and colours on both ends was at least 10 years ago.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Chrono, for such kind words. The fact is that much of the time, the lighting is mixed, so the stone is not at one extreme or another, unfortunately.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It really is beautiful. Dramatic change indeed. How's it like in mixed light?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1415132561|3777480 said:

It looks similar, perhaps a bit more colorful, than the first pic I took, back upthread. Its the look I call muddy, just because the purple and green make a kind of muddled I-don't-know-what-I-am color. :praise:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1415142492|3777539 said:

It looks similar, perhaps a bit more colorful, than the first pic I took, back upthread. Its the look I call muddy, just because the purple and green make a kind of muddled I-don't-know-what-I-am color. :praise:

The poor thing has identity issues. The extremes are fantastic, at least.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1415544212|3780096 said:
minousbijoux|1415142492|3777539 said:

The poor thing has identity issues. The extremes are fantastic, at least.

Haha, exactly right!

Preg: its from Brazil. :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the green hue. Aren't many from Brazil steel blue?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1415554053|3780156 said:
I love the green hue. Aren't many from Brazil steel blue?

That's what I've noticed too.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think, direct sunlight, esp. in the evening and morning is a bit "warmer" - don't know how it works but I noticed this with alex and CCG...

So they show a mixed light.

Otherwise you should be very careful if your alex hates sunlight..... :errrr:

And becomes bloodred at night.... :twisted:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1415555289|3780164 said:
Think, direct sunlight, esp. in the evening and morning is a bit "warmer" - don't know how it works but I noticed this with alex and CCG...

So they show a mixed light.

Otherwise you should be very careful if your alex hates sunlight..... :errrr:

And becomes bloodred at night.... :twisted:

Okay, Marlow, officially scared here now. Are you saying my alex is possessed by evil?!!! I knew I would likely sell it some day, but now sheesh, its like Annabelle - I'll be afraid to go to sleep when its around!!!

ETA: maybe it won't be able to get out of the bank vault when it goes back there...

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Transsylvinian alex.....maybe ?

Try garlic and set it in silver

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1415560743|3780190 said:
Transsylvinian alex.....maybe ?

Try garlic and set it in silver

:clap: :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results