shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does my diamond appear milky in sunlight?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
lolabee|1337028335|3195089 said:
Thank you Christina for introducing to HCA to me!!! I've been playing around with it. It will def be part of my decision making from now on!! Online buying is much more complicated that I thought, but the price is so irresistible compare to buying in stores.

Your welcome. It's a great tool, it's use is for rejecting stones, not for selecting them, but it's very accurate and like I said if it's the only tool at your disposal then it's a good one to have. You will have to rely on your eyes and be prepared to send a diamond or two back, but like you said, the savings often makes it worth it. I think that black jade made a good suggestion about asking for CS at BN to help you select a stone as well. Just be sure to be clear about what you are looking for and what eye clean means to you. =)

lolabee

Rough_Rock
Milky ring is on it's way back to Blue Nile now. Bye bye 1.80 ct ;(

It took me a whole day to find only a few stones in our prefer price range and spec, that also score low on HCA. I have to say HCA is super helpful and it sure makes diamond buying decisions easier.
Here are the 2 stones I've narrowed down:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD02562462
HCA 0.6

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-i-color-si1-clarity_LD02346074
HCA 0.9

both have inclusions on table but no additional comments on GIA report which is great. Only concern is inclusions might affect the brilliance of the stone. I've called Blue Nile to have them check to see if the stones are eye clean.
What do you guys think??

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
So long as they are eye clean I think you have a couple winners to choose from. The first stone will have slightly narrower arrows and the second will have slightly fatter ones. As I understand the fatter arrows will allow for more fire and less brillance, the stone with the longer lgfs (narrower arrows) will give you more balance between the two. It's a matter of preference. I purposely search for stones with more fire and less white light return, others will do the opposite. I don't think that you will have to worry about these inclusions compromising the light performance of the diamonds either. I would have preferred that the inclusion was off to the side, and I'm sure you would to, but it's very possible that these will be eye clean, or eye clean enough for you. You may only be able to see them through the pavilion and that would be acceptable to me. I hope that these work out for you!! And I'm happy that the HCA helped make things a bit easier! =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results