shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does jewelry (and diamonds and gems) make you happy?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I became obsessed* after we searched for my ER. We visited so many stores and everything was so boring. I love coming on here to see the creative things people are making or finding.

*So obsessed that I am finishing up a metalsmithing class, and taking stonesetting next.....!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can't remember a time of my life when I haven't just simply adored jewellery. As a young girl I can remember being enamoured with my aunties rings and wanting to try them on and be glamorous like them. one of my earliest memories is my dad taking me into our nearest city to get my ears pierced at about aged 2 1/2 or 3. We went to a real grown up jewellery store to get it done! Lol.
My Nana on my dad's side never owned an engagement ring and so even though she wasn't the oldest girl in her family, her mum (my great Nana) left her hers. I'm the oldest granddaughter so my Nana always told me it would be mine and would let me try it on everytime I visited her. I grew up knowing how special that ring was and having such an incredible bond of love with my Nana.
It started off my love of rubies which also was my Nana's birthstone, so the whole thing is literally full of sentimentality.

I love how almost every day my jewellery is noticed and commented on in such a positive way. I work in an estate jewellery store so of course it's par for the course, but it fills me with joy and it keeps those warm feelings and sentiment alive, and I adore hearing from my customers of their experiences with their jewellery. I wear my Nanas ring most days and it makes me feel close to her even though she's gone.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Mine started after accumulating a loose gemstone collection. After a stressful day at work in the hospital i would come home and just "play" with my gemstones and decompress. Also the nerd in me loved learning about the different properties of the stones, as well as learning about the more obscure ones that the average Joe had never heard of. As I would share with close friends about having a collection, most would ask when I would set them for wear. Funny thing is I never really intended for that when I was collecting them! After joining PS the whole world of amazing jewelry opened up for me! I love seeing pictures of everyone's pieces and learning from them too.

Here's my new (3 days ago) sapphire ring that called me for almost a year. Love the big and bold, or "gaudy" look that my 16 year old says 20190404_090325.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a disease passed down from my mother. I have never been much of a slave to fashion (preferring comfort and functional) so jewelry has always been my way of finishing/pulling together whatever I have on (or distract from it which is often the case). It can be fine or fashion. Only in recent years, after learning more about colored gemstones not sold in your typical mall shop - their history, colors, origins, etc - have I been obsessed with collecting gems for wear.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Some of my best memories were me and my Nanny lounging on her bed rummaging through her jewelry box and her telling me stories behind each piece. I inherited a rather large collection when she passed in 2011. Lots and LOTS of rings. A few fine pieces but mostly costume. A billion pair of earrings, and a ton of loose stones. (She may or may not have been addicted to late night JTV :lol:)

Unfortunately, financial woes forced me to sell a large portion of the rings, but I intend on slowly building it back up to pass along to my daughter (or granddaughter) one day.

Rings are my obsession. I have little to no interest in necklaces, bracelets or earrings. It just makes me happy! Whether or not it’s genetic or just the reliving of fond memories, I’m not certain, but it brings me joy that’s for sure!

Thank God for PS and WB or I wouldn’t have anyone to talk to about it! My family knows I love jewelry, but I’m a closet addict and they’re none the wiser. They have no clue just how bad it really is. :shock:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve definitely found my soul home here...I so agree with your and almost everyone else’s comments.
My family like jewellery (with boundaries of wedding & engagement rings), but have never really had the opportunity or desire to own anything out of the ‘ordinary’. I however, have always loved jewellery and in particular Diamonds and Sapphires. I love rings more than anything else, although I love necklaces, earrings, bracelets and watches too, as I myself can see them and revel in their beauty, which obviously is not so possible with all the others except bracelet. I can remember SO wanting a dress ring I saw on holiday when I was about seven!
I have a similar approach to Drm1grl, I’m sensible and practical, whilst having a total love of pretty things and so balancing the Arty and Science aspects. My job is science based but my hobbies are arts based!
I love looking in jewellers windows and researching ‘ the whatnot’ out of jewellery, even if there’s no possibility I could actually own them!

I’ve explained it to friends and family as comparable with visiting a museum or Art gallery to appreciate the beauty, skill and history etc behind everything whilst not having to possess it personally.....although I’d love to!
Jewellery fills me with such wonderful feelings, happiness, awe, delight and incredulity on occasions too. :love:
Great question.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It takes me out of my head and at times gives me a much needed respite from my stressful thoughts.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love it! It's so gorgeous and looks very comfortable too. Thank you for posting a picture.
You're welcome! I'm glad you like it! Just an FYI: I almost passed it up because it was too big for my wrist. Luckily the jeweler (shout out to Jonathan at GOG) said he could insert a bar on the inside. It worked out great and is super comfortable.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must have been a magpie in another life! :lol: I’ve always loved going through my mom’s jewelry box. My Grandma wore beautiful sparkly diamond rings. She always let me try them on and I’m sure that contributed to my love of sparklies. I love art in multiple mediums but jewelry really ignites my passion.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In short, life is hard and diamonds and jewels are marvels of the physical world, so I think a nice ring or piece of jewelry can remind you in hard times that the world can be hard but giving also.

MamaBess

Rough_Rock
For me, gems and jewelry is where God's amazing creation in nature, science, and art all come together. The beauty in nature is apparent for all to see, but the trained geologist that can harvest a rock, and know the potential of that piece of earth, is amazing. The person that can cut and polish that same rock into it's full beauty, knowing beforehand how to get the most beauty out of it, is also amazing. Lastly, the artistic mind that can create the just right setting, in the right colors, and with the just right designs, also has my admiration. Those of us who appreciate these things take our hats of to these special folks, and are thankful to God for His creation. IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_8784.JPG IMG_8840.JPG IMG_0057.JPG IMG_8785.JPG

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It’s the power of the earth’d processes to create stones, the power of the Big Bang that created every atom of gold or platinum that we see in every piece of jewelry that has been or will ever be, it is the artistry and craftsmanship of the makers at the bench.

It’s a culmination of geology, astrophysics, mining and other industrial sciences, married with high end art and crafts... in my finger.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m another one who spent a happy childhood rifling through my grandmothers costume jewellery box! :kiss2: Also also enjoyed collecting rocks from the beach, creek etc. I think it gives us joy for many reasons - art, sentiment, curiosity, pure beauty etc. In fact I’m writing a whole blog about the psychology of jewellery- link below. :read:
https://www.jewelsadorning.com/

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
For me, gems and jewelry is where God's amazing creation in nature, science, and art all come together. The beauty in nature is apparent for all to see, but the trained geologist that can harvest a rock, and know the potential of that piece of earth, is amazing. The person that can cut and polish that same rock into it's full beauty, knowing beforehand how to get the most beauty out of it, is also amazing. Lastly, the artistic mind that can create the just right setting, in the right colors, and with the just right designs, also has my admiration. Those of us who appreciate these things take our hats of to these special folks, and are thankful to God for His creation. IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_8784.JPG IMG_8840.JPG IMG_0057.JPG IMG_8785.JPG

How beautifully stated and I couldn't agree more

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like shiny and beautiful things, the colours, the sparkles, jewellery brightens up an outfit, and some of my pieces remind of the good times and make me feel content when I wear them.
DK :))

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Jewelry lasts so much longer than clothes, purses and shoes. When I was in middle school my mom bought me a purple ring in a halo for like $4.00 which must have been a lot in the early 70s. I so loved that ring! I haven't been fortunate enough to receive any heirlooms, but I did marry a generous man who has bought me some really lovely pieces. I do love the sparkle which is probably why I most love wearing rings and bracelets (I can see them). I've gotten over the fact that I just don't have model hands and fingers. My favorites are diamonds, opals, sapphires and my mikimoto pearls (a smaller version of the Nancy Pelosi necklace).

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!
I read this thread with such affection.. it's so nice to hear other people's stories of why jewelry really makes them smile. What really struck a chord was reading how as children some of you loved gems and minerals. That made me think about a picture that was taken 50 years ago of me that showed just that! I dug it up out of my "archives" and here it is.. circa 1969 or so?
I'm standing with my prized collection.. so funny. What a nice memory. Thanks for sharing.:wavey: FullSizeRender-40.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To quote comedienne Ali Wong, and I mean this with seriousness and fully recognizing that I love my kids and would never do anything differently:

“The more glitter the better, because when you’re a mom you need sparkle. To compensate for the light inside of you that has died.”:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

When I heard her say this it completely resonated with me. I fell in love with jewelry after my kids were born. It just hit me when I turned 41, that I had sacrificed a lot and it was time for me to have a little something too. When I heard Ali Wong I understood why. :roll2:

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Gemstones and diamonds make me happy because I like pretty things and things that sparkle.Thats really all there is to it for me :).

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!
I read this thread with such affection.. it's so nice to hear other people's stories of why jewelry really makes them smile. What really struck a chord was reading how as children some of you loved gems and minerals. That made me think about a picture that was taken 50 years ago of me that showed just that! I dug it up out of my "archives" and here it is.. circa 1969 or so?
I'm standing with my prized collection.. so funny. What a nice memory. Thanks for sharing.:wavey: FullSizeRender-40.jpg
I love this!
Dolls AND rocks? I think you are my long lost sister!
I collected international dolls, rocks, seashells and coins.........
I'm still accumulating all of these things:lol:

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I’m another one who spent a happy childhood rifling through my grandmothers costume jewellery box! :kiss2: Also also enjoyed collecting rocks from the beach, creek etc. I think it gives us joy for many reasons - art, sentiment, curiosity, pure beauty etc. In fact I’m writing a whole blog about the psychology of jewellery- link below. :read:
https://www.jewelsadorning.com/
I like your blog!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello to my long lost collecting sister stracci2000:wavey:
I do still love international dolls.. always bought them for my daughters when we were on vacation.
Thank you for your post.. it was so sweet! It truly made me smile.:love:

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
I think there has to be more to it than just appreciating beauty. After all, there are many things that are beautiful but not very sought after by most PSers - for instance moissanite, lab created gemstones, less rare gemstones, etc.

Whether people like to admit it or not, status has to play a role in it for most people too. I myself am uncomfortable with this but there's something a bit more "wow" to me about a super rare diamond or emerald beyond just its beauty.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I truly believe that people can be divided into two categories: You're either thrilled by sparkly things, or you have little-to-no interest. Most people fall into the latter category, and those of us who are in the former category tend to be super-passionate about it.

My mother is a huge jewelry lover, as am I, whereas my teen daughter has zero interest. When I was her age, I was obsessed and used to spend HOURS poring through the jewelry section of the Service Merchandise catalog, haha. So based on my own limited dataset, I believe you're either born with the propensity to love jewelry, or not.

I don't know why diamonds and jewelry captivate me endlessly. They just do. Other people really gravitate toward visual art, flowers/botany, architecture, interior design, makeup, or fashion (none of which interest me much). People just have natural preferences for certain aesthetics.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KristyDarling! Thank you for that blast from the past of the Service Merchandise catalog.
I spent many many many hours dreaming up what goodies I could buy from them.
You filled out the form.. and then you waited until you saw your thing come down the chute and life was good!!!!
I haven't thought of SM in a million years.. thanks for the smile!!:wavey:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KristyDarling! Thank you for that blast from the past of the Service Merchandise catalog.
I spent many many many hours dreaming up what goodies I could buy from them.
You filled out the form.. and then you waited until you saw your thing come down the chute and life was good!!!!
I haven't thought of SM in a million years.. thanks for the smile!!:wavey:

:mrgreen2: Remember how exciting it was whenever a new catalog arrived in the mail??? Oh how I loved that thick book with all the sparkly goodies within. The possibilities were endless!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results