shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does foiled now mean expensive??

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Like the title says: Why are pieces of antique foiled costume jewelry being sold for tens or even hundreds of times more than their non-foiled counterparts? What am I missing? I always thought foil was fragile, sensitive to water, and sometimes a way to fool the eye into making a stone look nicer than it is. Even if it is more rare for this material to survive, I don't understand what on earth would explain the difference in price if you can get an equally attractive and old (and probably more stable!) piece for much much less money. I am thinking in particular about paste riviere necklaces but maybe there are other examples.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rarity of a genuine period piece in decent condition of that type of construction, that you have said, I think is the answer.

But then proving it’s a genuine period piece is another story.

I ‘get’ your comment about finding something equally attractive and old without the pesky foil backing - but I also do really ‘get’ the desire for wanting it.
Same with enamel. Or a Stuart crystal, or a portrait piece. Or anything in that category.
There’s just too much of it out there that looks too good that makes sense to my mind that it’s actually survived this long.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know, I think all your examples actually LOOK more special and unique compared to foiled vs unfoiled pieces. Maybe I have to look closer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results