shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does a cutter choose no certificate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BecomingACutNerd

Rough_Rock
I''ve found this diamond in my searching. However, it''s not certified. Why would a cutter choose not to have this one certified? The VS2 and H could easily be lower if they''re not as strict, so I
don''t think I want to risk it. I''m just curious, I guess. It could be a very nice diamond if the
angles are right.

0.90c
H
VS2
Depth: 59
Table: 54
VG/VG
Flour: None
6.39x6.34x3.76
$3,571

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beats me. If it is represented correctly, it should be certified.

Whose VG/VG is it anyway? And who claims that it has no fluorescence?

Paul

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It wasn't so many years ago that there were no certificates. All diamonds were sold and graded by each jewelers standards. I remember Sears Robuck & Co. selling diamonds with AAAA, AAA, AA, A grades :)) Other companies had A, B, C, D etc. There still is not a world wide recognized standard but it is getting much better.
To answer your question, some diamond people are living in the past and do not believe in the certificates. You are supposed to take their word for what the diamond is and who are you to question the word of an experienced diamond man...NOT!
I would bet that if that diamond you are looking at was sent to GIA the certificate would look a lot different than what you have listed. It might be a great deal, then again, I wouldn't bet on it.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi BecomingACutNerd
It’s actually not uncommon for large cutting factories to supply uncertified diamonds.
The reason is most are supplying large wholesalers that have little or no interest in full certification when buying, you will often here the comment “ We buy diamonds not paper”
The professional buyer is highly qualified and easily able to determine color and clarity and “make a price” as he sees it.
The large factories all use Sarin or Ogi, so if the stone is not in a parcel of say 20 – 50 diamonds, the negotiation is usually around the interpretation of color, clarity, and fluorescence. The factories may from time to time use “mini” or “trade” certificates to elevate there price expectations but these will often be put aside with the argument,” we buy diamonds not paper. We do this all the time, we certainly don’t want our negotiations bogged down by a cert, If the factory doesn’t have sarin printouts or we are picking from a parcel, we take out our “Uncle Gary ( Ideal Scope)” and figure a price. We then win or lose by the certification that follows.

Wholesalers and cutting factories that deal direct with retailers are the ones most likely to submit stones for full certification as the certification is really only of importance to an end user.

Well that’s just another perspective.

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results