shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you still go to the grocery store?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go on Friday nights when there's hardly anyone there. Usually around 8 pm. Sometimes this has meant having to choose from picked over selections, or they're completely out of something, but over the past several months things have gotten better in that regard as grocers have adapted. I hate shopping in a crowded store anyway, so this works for me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have been doing the groceries on line for about 18 months
Except durring lock down when we couldn't get a delivery slot :(2 which i thought was frightfully unfair as Gary is in the high risk group and was also having eye trouble

who ever picks it, does a pretty good job and i never get squshed bread any more like when i do it :lol-2:
I ask for half ripe bananas and that's exactly how they come
i ask for my one little chillie to be packed with the tomatoes so its not misplaced and thats how it comes

Also if something isn't right they credit with no drama
Ive had no problem with meat or anything else
i do a more thorougher and economical shop with zero junk food.
Ive also discovered products ive never seen in store because the real bargains and value for money products are not displayed at eye level

Its not perfect, but its more brilliant than dud
@missy i thank you for your thoughtfulness

In the future i don't see me visiting our supermarket more than a handful of times a year
I do still visit our smaller suburban grocery store- they did a good job providing a much needed service to their community durring lockdown and they deserve some loyalty back
They have nice meat and good bread

When im working again and have more $$ i plan to visit the green grocer - we have several good ones in town, and id like to use the online butcher we were lucky enough to be gifted a meat box of, durring lock down

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certain hats help.

Better yet, glue razor blades to the ends.
Then put the hat on a rotating motor - like a helicopter. :Up_to_something:

6.png

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because I enjoy grocery shopping, browsing the aisles for new items, and I like picking out my own produce, meat, eggs, etc.

I like to analyze the labels, compare prices, see what is on sale, try different brands—much easier to do this sort of shopping in person.

I have found this a lot eaiser to do from the comfort of this very chair
Screenshot_20201126-113509.png Screenshot_20201126-113525.png Screenshot_20201126-113537.png
Ive found products via on line ive never seen before that have become a real hit in my house Screenshot_20201126-113820.png

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I

I'm fine. I'm not afraid of leaving my house and smoking pot every day and then verbally spanking anyone who does leave their house.

Um, @HollyJane could it be that you're feeling personally attacked and sensitive right now because you've suffered the loss of loved ones this year and now you're facing the holidays without them? Maybe examine why you're having such vehement reactions to House Cat's postings. I noticed you're also unable to attend your support group and that must be hard. No need to lash out at others, though. And it's ok to ask for help if you're struggling. If you need support of any kind, PS is a great place to find it. @PintoBean has a widow thread--might look that up or start your own. Hugs.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I enjoy grocery shopping, browsing the aisles for new items, and I like picking out my own produce, meat, eggs, etc.

I like to analyze the labels, compare prices, see what is on sale, try different brands—much easier to do this sort of shopping in person.

I'm pretty much the same, no Covid cases here (ACT Oz) so I'm not worried although I try not to go in rush hour obviously. Also the delivery fee for Coles or Woolies is $15 which is significant considering I'm only a 5 min drive away from the supermarket! I hear terrible stories of substitution and sh*tty produce being delivered so would rather choose my own. :naughty:

In peak Covid I managed to get by mainly with one very large shop prior to lockdown (I prepped & froze loads of meals) then just a few fresh odds and ends from the corner store.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that website show pics of each Fuji apple, including the bruised ones, and the wilted parsley? :mrgreen:

Hows bout a GoPro camera strapped to the employee's head with a live feed so, from home, I can look at my device and pick each item?

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
That is ve
Um, @HollyJane could it be that you're feeling personally attacked and sensitive right now because you've suffered the loss of loved ones this year and now you're facing the holidays without them? Maybe examine why you're having such vehement reactions to House Cat's postings. I noticed you're also unable to attend your support group and that must be hard. No need to lash out at others, though. And it's ok to ask for help if you're struggling. If you need support of any kind, PS is a great place to find it. @PintoBean has a widow thread--might look that up or start your own. Hugs.

That is very nice of you, and I believe you mean well.

What I am reacting to is all the posts, particularly House Cat, that seem to be very preachy and judgemental and downright inaccurate about anyone leaving their house during COVID. Shopping for jewelry wasn't ok, and now even grocery shopping has been deemed not ok. I went too far bringing House Cat's pot use into this. I think from now on I am going to avoid these COVID related posts.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, this is funny. I haven’t had that experience. My substitutions have always made sense!

Ive found its got better as its gone along, i guess i got better at driving the website
i found personal shopper notes :appl:where i can advice substitutions (eg no fish cat food, bacon if OOS, ready to cook chicken for a salad) otherwise substitutes can be hit and miss and I'll get all the ingredients for a particular meal except the meat i need for it
But its harder when they don't substitute

Sometimes its frustrating ordering becsuse the spelling has to be exact in the search function - some weeks we just don't buy yougart :(2

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not wipe down the groceries; transmission is mostly airborne, rather than fomites, from what I understand. I put things away and wash my hands, and I wash my reusable grocery bags after every use. I wash hands often anyway.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the little talking Olive wearing the Santa hat

:mrgreen2: Oh Olive is a right pain in the ar@s, She is new and still learning

she is for answering questions but she is positioned badly on my phone screen and i hit her about 50 times in error and have to clear her out to continue
I did once have a problem i tried to use her to fix
I didn't swear at her but i got so frustrated i typed "olive you are not very helpful"
She said "im new, im still learning, illl just get a real person"
I felt like i had been mean to her

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
+1 for grocery home delivery during COVID. Love it! :mrgreen2:
No problem finding open delivery slots nowadays.
No problem with food quality.
Much easier to stay on budget.
And no fist-fights over Charmin!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I also like Mr. Peanut, The Chicken of the Sea Mermaid and
Charlie Tuna

I kid you not, I once had a dream that the Starkist Tuna said to me, “Try me, we taste better in oil!” and waved to a can of tuna packed in olive oil. I woke up very confused and paranoid that the canned tuna industry was beaming commercials to my brain.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kid you not, I once had a dream that the Starkist Tuna said to me, “Try me, we taste better in oil!” and waved to a can of tuna packed in olive oil. I woke up very confused and paranoid that the canned tuna industry was beaming commercials to my brain.

The amazing power of advertising!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty much the same, no Covid cases here (ACT Oz) so I'm not worried although I try not to go in rush hour obviously. Also the delivery fee for Coles or Woolies is $15 which is significant considering I'm only a 5 min drive away from the supermarket! I hear terrible stories of substitution and sh*tty produce being delivered so would rather choose my own. :naughty:

In peak Covid I managed to get by mainly with one very large shop prior to lockdown (I prepped & froze loads of meals) then just a few fresh odds and ends from the corner store.

Gee im shocked your delivery is dearer than ours and that you get less than perfect produce
Last week the lettuces were really small so they gave me two for the price of one
countdown (that's Woolies) is $9 for a $200 order and over and with a delivery saver its a one off quarterly payment to cover all orders over $80

I love it - it comes in a refrigerated truck not like us driving home with the peas defrosting and the milk going off in the heat

When i had the vertigo the driver offered to bring the bags right into the house for me

Honestly i could not recomend their service enough

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed that delivery is a great thing for many people including those who are elderly, compromised or raising a tribe of little ones.
for others, like me, I want to check out the specials, look for new products or be tempted by the wonderful marketing and product placement.
there might be items that I must have but only after I see them!
a few complaints I’m aware of
substitution of items - is annoying and defeats the purpose if you have to go to the store to return it
Expiry dates - dairy or meat being only a day or two from “best by date”.
Fruit and veg - fruit all ripe or totally unripe. Lady across the road got avocados that might be ripe by Christmas, bananas so green they glowed yet the tomatoes all had to be eaten ASAP. Another classic was specifying weight of oranges, the oranges were HUGE so she only got 5 Instead of 10 or so like usual. Great size for juicing but not so great to put in the kids lunchbox!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
in the beginning of lockdown we used whole foods delivery service and bristol farms. getting a delivery slot was challenging during the month of panic and fear. but thereafter, it wasn't an issue. we did this for about 2-3 months.

then we decided, if we exercised heightened pre-caution, then we could just go ourselves. heightened pre-caution includes: eye protection, n95 mask, disposable gloves, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, disinfectant spray.

all packaged goods get wiped down with a soap and water solution, fresh produce gets a soap and water solution soak, before a thorough clean water dunk and rinse. all clothes worn get tossed into the washer. what cannot be thrown into the washer gets quarantined.

afterwards, we shower, brush teeth, rinse and gargle with salt water solution

we go because we aren't in a household with anyone of advanced age or anyone with pre-existing conditions that might compromised

we go because it is our one opportunity, once a week, to leave the house. although, these trips ought to be reduced to twice a month, or less, in the coming season with the additional freezer

we go because it feels more "normal" to pick our own groceries

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that website show pics of each Fuji apple, including the bruised ones, and the wilted parsley? :mrgreen:

Hows bout a GoPro camera strapped to the employee's head with a live feed so, from home, I can look at my device and pick each item?

One Instacart shopper impressed me and got an even more generous tip... He actually took photos of the item and sent to me so I could select from the current display. I wish I could request him by name!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One Instacart shopper impressed me and got an even more generous tip... He actually took photos of the item and sent to me so I could select from the current display. I wish I could request him by name!

Awesome customer service. :clap:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed that delivery is a great thing for many people including those who are elderly, compromised or raising a tribe of little ones.
for others, like me, I want to check out the specials, look for new products or be tempted by the wonderful marketing and product placement.
there might be items that I must have but only after I see them!
a few complaints I’m aware of
substitution of items - is annoying and defeats the purpose if you have to go to the store to return it
Expiry dates - dairy or meat being only a day or two from “best by date”.
Fruit and veg - fruit all ripe or totally unripe. Lady across the road got avocados that might be ripe by Christmas, bananas so green they glowed yet the tomatoes all had to be eaten ASAP. Another classic was specifying weight of oranges, the oranges were HUGE so she only got 5 Instead of 10 or so like usual. Great size for juicing but not so great to put in the kids lunchbox!

Im not sure ive heard from a single Aussie who is happy with supermarket delivery :(2

It is a pain when you order a kilo of onions and two huge ones turn up :lol-2:
Ive found oranges hard to judge also

but when i can i buy that "odd bunch" range where its the smaller and irregularly shaped produce that was previously just wasted and not even sent to market by the growers

But @mellowyellowgirl said when she has shopped at Woolies she has been unhappy with the quality of it

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pick oranges by weight.
The heaviest ones are the juiciest - though obviously more expensive than the dryer oranges - but IMO worth it.

Works well!

But I still need psychic powers to pick a good watermelon. :cry2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pick oranges by weight.
The heaviest ones are the juiciest - though obviously more expensive than the dryer oranges - but IMO worth it.

Works well!

But I still need psychic powers to pick a good watermelon.

Any watermelon that wasn't picked out of the field while I watch is not something I want to bother with. I have a couple of fruit stands I trust to have good ones, but no one else even gets a passing glance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any watermelon that wasn't picked out of the field while I watch is not something I want to bother with. ...

Interesting
Is watermelon the only produce item for which you must witness the harvest?
May I ask why?

Do you go to the farm, walk around the live ones on the vine to select the one you tell them to cut?

Still, what are your criteria for watermelon selection?

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some times i feel like watermelon in the middle of winter and i buy a cut piece of imported American watermelon
Tastes delicious

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results