shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you love diamonds?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
For me, I love the hardness (durability) and brilliance. I find colorless diamonds very versatile as you can wear them with everything! I like both earth mined due to the history (for fine jewelry) and lab created due to the value (for fashion, semi fine jewelry). Diamonds are timeless, so they can be passed down to future generations and treasured as heirlooms. At least that's what I tell myself!

Curious as to why you love diamonds? And how you compare earth to lab diamonds, as well as diamond substitutes (moisonniate, CZ, white topaz, etc).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are my birthstone. lucky me!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The romanticism associated with them was my initial allure.
My family has a tradition pertaining to the girls. More of a “rule”, IMHO. Daughters should never receive their first diamond from a man intending to marry her. Fathers (mothers in absence of a father) are to gift daughters with their first diamond.
“Everlasting Love”, “Unconditional Love”. That is what diamonds are intended to represent due to their durability. Daddy is the first to demonstrate his daughter’s value in his life.
My father passed away when I was 6 years old. For my 16th birthday, my mother gave me a necklace with a small diamond chip.
My DH was the next (and last) to give me diamonds. His choice; I was fine with white topaz or Moissanite. He insisted I have diamonds.
Think I argued? LOL!!
I love all things that sparkle, so I enjoy all jewelry. I prefer diamonds from DH, though. He has given them more sentiment to me because, in HIS eyes, I deserve only the best, most precious things in life. ♥

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Love this thread! For me, I'm just not into MMD or simulants. I know that sounds snooty and I apologize for that. It's just not my thing. I love the rarity of natural diamonds. I know some on this forum have said diamonds are not rare but I don't think that way. In my view, if it is from nature, it is rare. The old-fashioned, hopeless romantic in me loves how they can be a symbol of love and of a promise. But I also love how, in more recent generations, they are a symbol of female empowerment, as in women not waiting for a man to buy them a diamond, but them buying for themself. I do love that they "go with everything"! And I love that they are timeless. Even if a mounting is more of a trend, you can just reset. And I love how they can be passed through the generations. With all that said, they also torment me, that "quest" to reach the final stone that fulfills all my desires and expectations for a diamond!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The durability and the sparkle.

I also like CSs and pearls, and diamond substitutes.

Just anything to do with jewellery to be honest!

DK :bigsmile:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are fascinating from the science/tech perspective to the play of light/sparkle to the social perspective..

Echo this thought....

Tech and science keeps the inner nerd happy.

Sharing that data in a digestible format to uneducated consumers makes it a worthwhile cause.

But the real magic....watching it do the dance of fire.

download (3).png

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
My passion is with the antique cuts. I love the artisinal/unique nature of the cuts and particularly enjoy the more rustic/wonky ones; I find them charming and perfectly-imperfect.

I love the differences (sometimes subtle, sometimes not!) in facet patterns and discovering the unique personality of each stone, the odd quirks that show fire.

I often find myself getting lost admiring the facets as they turn off/on while I move my hand about. It's a wickedly decadent pleasure of mine, to sit and drink a martini or while playing with my diamonds and the available light.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love diamonds because they are beautiful.

I adore old cuts the most but appreciate all different diamonds too.
To me, diamonds symbolize romance and love and are special.

I love the way old cuts are unique and seem to glow from within. I love their chunky facets and soft color play. I love their shape and special way they sparkle. Slow and mesmerizing. I love everything about them.

But most of all I love the man who wants me to have the diamonds of my dreams and I would give it all away in a heartbeat if I had to choose.
Luckily I don't have to choose. :love:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love: their beauty and light reflection; the fact that they can look completely different in different lights; the romance of knowing they’ve formed by nature over millions of years; and the fact that, as long as the setting is reasonably protective, I can wear a diamond without too much worry or babying - it’s no fun wearing something if I’m on tenterhooks as a result.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I kept thinking about this one for a week...

I do not come from diamond culture. It all started with the talk of diamond cut here, that mostly cuts virtual space - a material that has nothing to say, so I got very intrigued by what went without saying, diamonds, somewhat by instinct [so it took a week to put in writing something I do not think about].

Even at the extreme, diamonds cut to look as if they were not (cut) do make sense to me - www , www [obviously, the shape makes sense to make www & exactly that is not quite possible to do with diamonds - www / attempted humour]

rambling

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I come from a family of gearheads and pilots, and I think it's because the earth made these amazing little machines that gather light and produce such beauty. And each as different as a snowflake!

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I'm a fairly standard male in that I have very little interest in jewellery per se. I surprised myself (and my fiancee!) with how interested I became in diamonds. PS is also quite a friendly place!

For me I think the interest is partly the precision/angles/geometry aspect as it suits the way my mind works (I have a mathematical/scientific background.....which I get to use less and less in my career!), and then importantly for me is also the "thrill of the hunt"; using knowledge and understanding to look for the best diamonds amongst many mediocre ones!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My favorite thing is probably that diamonds appear to dance from within and I am mesmerized by the light play that takes place, almost as if there is magic inside. :love: And of course there is the symbolism of romance and love, yet it also feels like a celebration of the beauty of the earth as well. And I am a diamond geek at heart, so naturally I love knowing about the science behind each masterpiece, too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results