shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you like your platinum setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
While shopping for my diamond online, I was absolutely sure that I wanted a platinum setting. I even budgeted around $2,500 just for that and chose my diamond accordingly.

But then I went to a few B&M's to see platinum settings and I was sooo disappointed! They looked very cold and "industrial" and I couldn't believe how they showed fingerprints when handled. Apparently they scratch easier too and needs to be professionally polished from time to time. I just loved white gold - it looked warmer and didn't show fingerprints as easily.

It seems that the only advantage of platinum is that it is stronger, thus lasting longer and it doesn't turn yellowish over time. Apparently 14K white gold doesn't turn yellow as much as 18K.

I feel that I must be missing something here, because most people (I think) on this board seems to love platinum. If you have a platinum or white gold setting, please tell me why you like (or dislike) it.

I know there have been discussions about this, but I specifically would like to hear from owners of either and how they feel after wearing it for some time.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Platinum *is* stronger, and if you end up with gold, make sure the head at least is platinum.

You can avoid that yellowish look in white gold if you seek out white gold that's alloyed with palladium. Most white gold is alloyed with cheap nickel, which doesn't mask the yellow very well. As a result, they plate the ring with rhodium, which wears off over time needing to be re-plated.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a tension setting from Gelin & Abaci - would I be able to choose the alloy or do they just use their own standard "mix"?

justme

Shiny_Rock
Hongerhound -

In my opinion platinum is a reoccuring trend that is big right now. I totally agree with you on the industrial coldness look of plat. I'm biased toward 18k gold myself. It is warmer looking than 14k and that appeals to my senses.

Pick the type of metal that appeals to you (and your sweetie) and enjoy!

Justme

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The tension setting from Gelin & Abaci is done by experts. Please don't try to tell them how to make your ring. They might tell you something you don't want to hear.
Yes, platinum is stronger. Yes platinum will scratch, so does white and yellow gold. You get fingerprints on white gold also. You say white gold looks warmer. That is the slight hint of yellow you see. If platinum is polished properly, it looks great. The big problem is most jewelers do not have access to a great platinum polisher. They are few and far between. Polishing platinum is not easy like polishing gold. I can polish gold.
Now, I have a question for you. You are going to mount your diamond in a Tension setting. Do you want strong or warm?

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
Dimonbob,

I went to Derco, Simayof, Bailey Banks & Biddle and many more. I'm pretty sure I looked at quite a few "properly polished" specimens. And yes, they were incredibly shiny, but they looked awful after being handled. That wasn't the case with white gold.

Yes, I do want a strong tension setting, but would Gelin & Abaci use white gold if it weren't strong enough?

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
I was an absolute fan of the white gold for my wedding band and setting. Had my original band of 28 years and still had a beautiful shine that could be polished up with a jewelers rouge cloth at home.

Well just recently I searched for a more unique setting than my previous 6 prong tiffany. I found a custom designer on the internet and we discussed an awesome design and the pros and cons of platinum. I had noticed others with the platinum having the dull almost steel patina and wasn't all that crazy about the look. After back and forth consideration speaking with my designer I decided to go with the platinum. When I explained how I liked the more polished look rather than the more matte patina that develops with platinum, we decided on a 900 pt alloy with iridium which is harder than the 950 platinum. I am totally happy with the shine and the wear of my platinum rings. I absolutely love the heavier feel and the platinum does give a different look to my diamond than the white gold did. I can't quite explain it but it is just beautiful. And yes it is the same diamond (that is the first thing I did when I got the ring back - independent appraisal).

Check out a few different jewelers on both white gold and platinum as they are not all alike.

If you are looking for custom design work in your setting I give Michael Devlin the highest recommendation. He does awesome work!!!

Sheila

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I'm also looking into Gelin-Abaci tension settings... I have no doubt that their platinum and golds are of high quality.

I wanted to know what shade the 18k yellow gold would be - so I emailed my jeweler to find out what alloy they mix in (my jeweler must love me, I am so very high maintenance
1.gif
). GAI won't discuss the alloys, it's a proprietary secret.

They have a great track record though, so I have very little concern over setting it in platinum or 18k gold (and 18k gold is known for being "soft"). I don't think they have lost a diamond yet due to the failure of their settings - at least that's what I recall from the MickeyRoof.com website!

I love their rings!
1.gif
I was concerned about the "bulk" of a tension setting, but the one I have chosen fits my finger nicely (at least the jewelry store sample did) and I can go for a more dainty, antique style ring on my other hand if I want to.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I have already received my Gelin & Abaci ring in white gold, set with a 1.02, E, VS2 Superbcert, and I love it. However, our anniversary is not until July, so hubby is not allowing me to wear it until then! He only takes it out once a week or so when he can't stand my begging and pleading anymore. He lets me drool over it for a few minutes and then takes it away. Torture, absolute torture, let me assure you...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How horrible!! What extreme torture. I'd break into his secret stash and put it on while he was gone..Hee hee.

I understand what you mean about platinum looking cold and lifeless. There are times when I think my ring looks so...steely. Esp since I have the baby stones all the way around the band...so I have a mixture of cold looking metal and white stone at times. Then at other times, while in brighter light or the sun, the metal doesn't look so chilly any more. It definitely depends on the lighting, if the lighting is such that the stones don't sparkle as much, my ring looks very chilly.

Also..I don't know if this makes a difference for you or not, but I think skin tone factors into the white gold/gold/plat discussion. I am not a fan of yellow gold regardless, so there was no way I'd even consider it, but I am a more olive skinned girlie (much darker in summer months!) and yellower metals do look better against my skin than the cool silvers/plats. Sometimes I think my ring looks even more starkly steely because my skin is darker. But I still love it. It stands out more!
1.gif

Oh and plat by itself does scratch easily. My coworker has a solitaire and she is always complaining about how horrible her ring looks because the platinum is always scratched and she has to go into the jeweler to get it polished and doesn't have time. I even cleaned her stone for her and she was still complaining that it looked badly. I have heard that from other people as well....but luckily because I have the mini stones on the sides of the ring with minimal metal all the way around, there are no scratches!
1.gif
Good because I am a clumsy thing.

I'm sure you will be fine!
1.gif

(BTW just noticed this is *another* resurrected old thread!!!
1.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results