shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you like fluorescence?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Fluorescence aficionados, I don't get fluorescence and have no strong opinions about it one way or the other. What is it about it that you like? Why do you like it? Do you prefer it? Do you have to have it? If you like (or dislike) it, I'd like to hear your opinions and comments. Thanks.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 0.74ct ideal RB D color w/ SB fluor, and I love it. In direct sunlight it literally goes blue, and not from the reflection of the sky (I know what that looks like in my other non-fluorescent diamonds). It glows under blacklights, and although it is rare I find myself in those situations, it is so cool to see. I've... uh... been known to take my little portable blacklight into a dark room or closet during the day just to see it glow! I can also see a bit of the blue when it is cloudy but I am outside or near a window - it's faint, but it is definitely a bluer white that my other diamonds. It's a novelty item I guess - it amuses me immensely, and I love the effect. It makes it special and unique to me. I would love for all of my stones to have it! (but alas they don't) You can see it in my avatar -

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
ecf8503|1319111645|3044077 said:
I have a 0.74ct ideal RB D color w/ SB fluor, and I love it. In direct sunlight it literally goes blue, and not from the reflection of the sky (I know what that looks like in my other non-fluorescent diamonds). It glows under blacklights, and although it is rare I find myself in those situations, it is so cool to see. I've... uh... been known to take my little portable blacklight into a dark room or closet during the day just to see it glow! I can also see a bit of the blue when it is cloudy but I am outside or near a window - it's faint, but it is definitely a bluer white that my other diamonds. It's a novelty item I guess - it amuses me immensely, and I love the effect. It makes it special and unique to me. I would love for all of my stones to have it! (but alas they don't) You can see it in my avatar -

+1 I almost bought a smaller stone just so I could have the strong blue fluorescence. It's fun and gives the diamond extra personality!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the way the diamond turns blue under certain lighting. To me, flourescence is an extra added attraction as long as the diamond doesn't look milky.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
+1 extra personality, as long as it is well cut and not cloudy/hazy/milky. IMO fluorescence gives the stone a wider range of colored light return in different lights and makes it even more interesting to look at.

I think people are scared off by the bad examples usually available in local stores. I had the toughest time hunting down mine, and was so glad that BGD started to brand them.

amead

Rough_Rock
I bought a Brian Gavin "Blue" SBF stone in the last couple weeks - evaluated it and it looked super sparkly and crystal clear in all of the lighting conditions I could put it in. I wasn't really able to produce a strong blue hue even in strong and shaded sunlight, but I am in Western NY in fall, and our UV conditions are pretty minimal right now.

Will be taking the completed ring to the Caribbean in a couple weeks to propose, and will get to see it in extreme UV conditions. Wish I could report how that'll affect it, but alas, I'm still counting down the days.

For me, I purchased the stone for a few reasons:
1. Value - You can get a nice bump in size/color/clarity for the money. Wouldn't have been able to get a 1.26ct G VS2 stone otherwise in my budget.
2. "Nerd Factor" - For lack of a better word, I'm secretly a nerdy guy and think that the scientific property of fluorescence is neat, and possibly makes it a good choice for me (puts a little bit of my personality into the stone that I'll be gifting to my bride-to-be).
3. Uniqueness - Nobody else I know will have one, which could make for a cool conversation piece.
4. Customer Service - Working with the folks at Brian Gavin Diamonds was a great experience, and personally speaking with Brian about the stone gave me a comfort level that I might not have had in another buying experience.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having just seen Circe's SBF earrings and MED new transitional.... if I wasn't already a convert I sure would be now! It's just such a *cool* look!

Someone described it to me a long time ago as "the only way I'll ever be able to afford a blue diamond". That stuck ::)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's magic.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is why I like fluor:

1) it's cool looking
2) unique
3) can make a lower color diamond appear whiter
4) makes it easy to identify your stone

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there's just a magic about it.
I have an orangy pink heart diamond that fluoresces bright bold hot pink. :-o :-o :-o
It is absolutely astonishing, and a complete surprise since it had one of those GIA reports that does not mention fluor.

0hotpink.png

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the effect it gives the diamond in many lighting conditions. It makes the diamond look brighter and more radiant to me overall.

HighRoad

Rough_Rock
I love it because it's a secret I know about my diamond that most people would never guess without benefit of a blacklight.

It's like having a lover who appears straight-laced and innocent in public :halo: , who has the blessing of your family and the approval of your friends :appl: , but... behind closed doors... RAWR! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results