shape
carat
color
clarity

why do so many people assume emerald cut diamonds are ''fake''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ooohdiamonds

Rough_Rock
i think they are the most beautiful, elegant cuts !!!!

all of you ladies and gents on here recognize that''s the cut is real, but most other people/the average person assumes its fake because it doesnt really ''shine'' and the steps in the cut are visible.
38.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Reallly? People assume emerald cuts are fakes? That would have never occured to me. I love step cuts (but my user name probably gives that fact away :) )

One of my grandma''s had the most amazing emerald cut diamond and I remember being fascinated by it. I loved her ring and when I thought diamond, emerald cut came to mind.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never heard that either? Maybe because when most people think "diamond," they automatically think of a round brilliant? I''m not sure?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never had anyone ask if my asscher was fake. Before PS the cuts that I knew existed were round, princess, emerald and marquis. Those go way back.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the first diamonds I looked at when I was getting engaged was an emerald cut: my husband vetoed it because he thought it looked like glass. My husband has many admirable qualities ... but an understanding of the finer points of diamonds isn''t among them. I think step-cuts have a striking, elegant beauty! Look at it this way: anybody who doubts your diamonds is only betraying their own ignorance (and bad manners!) ....

ooohdiamonds

Rough_Rock
hahaha nice response!!!

ooohdiamonds

Rough_Rock
I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT!!!! unless people have a love for jewellery or something, then i guess their knowledge in terms of diamonds will be narrowed down. if i ask many people they assume diamonds only come in circles and squares ?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think sometimes (with larger step cuts anyways) ECs can look glassy.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
As with any diamond but maybe more so with an emerald cut, the stones that are not well cut have less than desirable qualities. Typically EC''s with tables that are larger than the depth % tend to look glassy. Maybe its personal preference because I own one but mine doesn''t look glassy nor does it look fake (at least I haven''t been told that). Personally, I think EC''s are classic so I''m not sure why people would assume they are fake.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never had that experience. Are emerald cuts unusual where you live?

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt "most people" think emerald cuts are fake (at least not any more than most people assume most diamond-like things they see on the street are probably CZ, which may well be an accurate assumption, depending on where you are). It''s true that they don''t look like RBs, but it doesn''t necessarily follow that people therefore assume they aren''t diamonds. I''ve certainly never heard anyone say that an emerald cut must be a fake.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
33.gif
Only one person ever asked me if mine was fake and I think that was due to the size not the cut.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECs are so classically elegant - well cut ones definitely don''t look fake!!

I agree that the abundance of overly shallow ECs with huge tables does little to market the shape.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I would never think an EC was fake, however I do think sometimes they can look glassy (which is why an EC is not my personal preference for *myself*). That said, I did see an EC last week on someone and it was absolutely GORGEOUS! When I put one on my hand I think it looks like a piece of glass, but when I see it on others I think it looks classy and elegant.

It''s funny how some things can look so different when you try them on yourself as opposed to when you see someone else wearing them.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know, but I like how mine don''t sparkle they throw off big flashes of light.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to HH and Emerald lover. I think that step cuts when they are not cut well can look glassy (and I say that with all the love as someone who
30.gif
step cuts. You just have to find a good one
9.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
What''s funny is that I do have a fake emerald cut solitaire, haha.

I''ve seen some amazing emerald cuts in real life--when cut well, they can be such dazzlers! My coworker has a massive emerald-cut ring with traps on either side. I want to love it so much, because I love the design of it, but the stone has such a huge table that it throws off more glare than fire. I think there are more flat, dead emerald cuts out there than the gorgeous dazzlers. Such a bummer, because emerald cuts are hands-down one of my favorite cuts when you find a great one.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Wasn''t there a thread titled the same thing last week, except replace "emerald cut" with "asscher?"

Anyway.

No one has ever assumed my EC is fake that I know of. They''re pretty uncommon where I live, so if someone notices my diamond, usually they want to look at it. I have had people refer to it as a princess cut though, which makes me
20.gif

I think an EC cz is more rare than a real EC. Believe me, I''ve tried to find fun costume pieces before and I come up with a lot of princesses and "radiants" (really, elongated princess cuts...not really a true radiant) than step cuts.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
I''m a "regular" person and never considered emerald cut to look fake...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe they saw EC that were not well cut. I think EC are amazing.

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like ''em too, but as many have pointed out already, some of them are not well-cut and look glassy. I think it is this "glassiness", and also that they are not as common as the round brilliant, that make your average joes think they are fake.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i have never heard such a thing. i have a 5 carat EC and no one has ever inferred they thought it was fake.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Hmm . . . I have an EC, and most people don''t assume it''s fake. I think occasionally the size will prompt someone to ask if it''s real, but I find that question to be pretty impolite and don''t usually answer when it''s asked.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I have an asscher and maybe some people assume it's fake. I think it's because there are less facets than in say, a princess cut or round cut, so it might look "glass-like" to the untrained eye. Emerald cuts are one of my absolute favorites. Half the time I tell people my jewelry isn't real anyway because I don't want it stolen.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I never assume peeople''s diamonds are fake because I think it is so strange to wear fakes...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Those who are into jewellery will never assume such a thing, but those who couldn''t care less about it will ask all kinds of silly questions. Like when a friend of mine walked into a store and said: "Excuse me, how much would that one with a cubic zirconia be?" and got: "Madam that''s a diamond." as a response
9.gif
Not sure how it was cut, but you get the picture... I''d know a diamond from glass or cz regardless of a cut (which is why I know whenever people around me wear cz''s - especially the huge pink "variety"...), but some folks are just not into jewellery, so don''t even know the things we on PS would consider to be the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results