shape
carat
color
clarity

why do people wear sims? are they trying to impress their friends?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/22/2004 9:45:43 PM vtigger86 wrote:

Nicrez quote:

What's with the jewelery police? Frankly, I LOVE diamonds and gemstones for the natural wonders that they are. Who's to say people can't appreciate the man-made wonders as well...Real boobs, fake boobs, each one had a follower. So what?

Nicrez
Since you brought up the subject, why would any woman in their right mind would buy a pair of fake boobs.Talk about no self confidence. And health risks. You would figure a woman would prefer a pair diamond earrings(or a diamond ,i don't think a woman would just buy 1 boob). why pay so much for a pair of silicone? ain't nothing like the real thing no matter it's diamond or boobs.----------------

oh, I'm sorry....I just have to respond here! Vtigger, you're not a woman, so my guess is that no explantion will really make sense to you. To some women, fake boobs are important. It makes them feel better about themself. (Not me, but I have a good friend here.) Diamonds may make some feel better, fake boobs may be just the ticket for others. Each to their own preferences... And besides.... I know a lot of guys who remind me that "they don't care...." (real or not)
2.gif

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
What is the big deal? Are you threatend by people who wear sims? I have a pair of 1 cttw cheap cz earrings. I could easily go down to Zales when the mall opens tomorrow morning and replace them but what is the point? No one knows they are sims because no one has asked. No one would notice if I replaced them with the real deal so what is the point?

I am also waiting on a three stone moissanite from bellajewelrycompany. (Ame you inspired me!) I wanted it because it was moissanite not because it was cheaper then a diamond or looked liked a diamond but again because it is moissanite!I have seen moissanite in person and have wanted one for so long!

Why does cz/moissanite get a bad wrap? My ering has natural sapphire baguettes and my wedding band has created ones. They look the same and no one ever asks me if THEY are real.

Just because my earrings are fake it doesn't mean that I am. Also I have been a blond all my life and have been thinking about going red. So I don't offend anyone I'll make sure that if I do dye it I tell people I am really a blond because I would want them to think I was something I am not. Oh I also couldn't breast feed my son and had to give him formula. I guess I am a bad mother because I had to give him formula that wasn't created in nature.
rolleyes.gif

edited to add that my breast are real I couldn't beast feed because my son was born with complications. Thank God he is fine now but it really puts things in perspective doesn't it.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
doxie, i think you should get a tee shirt that reads "I am a synthetic-wearing, hair-dying, BAD mother and my child now has no natural immunities."

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
9.gif

I also live in the south and drive an american made vehicle. I guess my stratus now is nothing more then a cheap Mercedes ripoff since I went with the Dodge and not the Mercedes or even Chrysler brand automobile.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/22/2004 10:09:23 PM Jennifer5973 wrote:

doxie, i think you should get a tee shirt that reads 'I am a synthetic-wearing, hair-dying, BAD mother and my child now has no natural immunities.'

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

----------------
Be sure to clarify exactly what part 'worn' is 'synthetic'....or else people may get the wrong idea....hehehee!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I am pretty new posting to this site, but at this point thought I would chime in. I wonder if you folks are all taking this personally or at this point just teasing each other and seeing how far it will go. It seems like a pretty good time to end this debate. One of my favorite pieces of jewelery is a fake string of sea pearls which I think cost $2.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Welcome,. Rita...awww shucks, we are just having some good, clean, All-American-free-speakin' fun, with little nuggets of personal conviction woven in.
2.gif

doxie--why don't you go out in the middle of the night and steal an emblem from the Benz and glue it to the hood of your dodge?
2.gif
9.gif

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
Hey there is a Benz in my neighborhood! It's on of those old diesels from the 80's. Now why didn't I think of that!
saint.gif

Ah Rita, I am just having a good time laughing at myself right now. It's better then fighting with myself.
11.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/22/2004 10:31:28 PM doxiemom wrote:

Hey there is a Benz in my neighborhood! It's on of those old diesels from the 80's. Now why didn't I think of that!
saint.gif
----------------

you probably had formula as a baby and it's affected your cognitive ability to recognize foreign automobiles ....
9.gif

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
DOH! I was given formula as a baby! My poor son....................Well he is destin to be a NASCAR fan and I heard they want to introduce Toyota, at least they already started in the truck series. So maybe there is hope!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
doxiemom

base on your theory then Louis Vitton will soon go out of business,because the fake hand bags that women carries look just as good as the real ones,nah.. don't dye hair red ,blonds have more fun.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I am not comfortable with the idea of a simulant engagement ring, but part of me WISHES I were! ; )

I have some mixed feelings about the diamond industry (though not about diamonds themselves). There's the issue of bloodshed and political conflict that I associate with the diamond cartel, and there's the idea that diamonds aren't really rare at all, and supply is carefully controlled to fix prices. (I'm not an expert in economics, and I don't know the full status of the situation with conflict diamonds, so don't tear me apart if these characterizations are incorrect!! I'm just saying that I associate these things with the diamond industry). I also resent the marketing ploys to associate love with diamonds, to make everyone feel like a diamond engagement ring is mandatory, and to perpetuate the idea that you can measure how much someone loves you by the kind of diamond they are able to buy you.

But anyhow, my point is that some people choose not to wear diamonds for political reasons. I have friends that never plan to own any real diamonds because of all this. This doesn't mean that they don't like sparkly jewelry though - they wear sims, and are eager to tell people why they don't want to own a real diamond. They are proud to have made their own choice and to be going against the grain and not participating in an industry that they have ideological problems with.

All that said, I personally am still dying for a big, fat, real diamond engagement ring!!!

If I did make their choice to boycott diamonds, I would go for a colored gemstone e-ring over a simulant - knowing that it was a "fake diamond" would bother me, but only for this particular piece of jewelry because of the sentimental associations.

I'll buy simulants for other jewelry in a heartbeat, content to have pretty, sparkly jewelry that I'm not nervous about. I have no problem telling anyone that they aren't real. I volunteer the info to friends, and I wouldn't expect strangers to ask anyhow. For me it's not a source of embarrasment or an issue of fooling anyone. It's just jewelry that I like and want to wear, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for.

Jenn

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/18/2004 1:38:06 PM vtigger86 wrote:

as for people that wear fakes for traveling, it's not a good reason either. why would you want to put yourself in dangerous situation in places you aren't familiar with ,the robber wouldn't know is fake why would you want to risk of getting your head knock off ,i wouldn't wear any jewerly at all when i travel.
----------------

Ahhh, but your assumption is wrong. I wear fake jewelry when I go on vacation NOT because I am in a "dangerous situation" in a place that I'm not familiar with....I wear fake jewelry when I go on vacation so my real stuff won't get damaged or lost. That's it. Has absolutely nothing to do with the situation being dangerous....why on earth would I vacation in a place that was "dangerous" anyway? You see, in order for your arguments to hold any water, then they must be based on valid assumptions, which yours are not. I think someone here has some serious issues
rolleyes.gif

SheriLynn24

Rough_Rock
I stumbled across this board while looking for some opinions on the moissanite and thought I'd throw in my take on it. Although my boyfriend and I are both doing well financially, I've never really been too much into jewelry. Well, I did by a Gucci watch and a few classic Tiffany pieces but when it comes to gemstones/diamonds, I can't say that I've ever owned any or longed to own any. Quite honestly, if he gave me a fake, I wouldn't know the better....that being said, why would I have us invest that type of money in a real diamond? I've seen the moissanites next to diamonds and I actually prefer the sparkle of the moissanite. I prefer the price too! My friend has a 2.5 ct. moissanite ring and everywhere we go....people are in awe of it. I don't think they're in awe because they're thinking only of diamonds...it's just a gorgeous ring. I pondered over whether I was being cheap in the wrong area but the truth is....who determines a diamond's worth anyway...the Debeer family? Maybe it's just my perception but how rare is a diamond if every bride has one? Doesn't seem like they're in any short supply to me. I like the look of a larger stone but being that I place no value on what the rest of the diamond-crazed world does...I just can't justify the cost. We're looking at buying our dream home right off the bat and starting a family right away and quite honestly, those seem like the better investments to me.

I don't necessarily see why buying a moissanite in lieu of a diamond is a bad decision. Most people that I know that have one like it better. I'm not trying to change anyone's perception nor do I think I could but I'm just trying to explain how I'm thinking....from someone who's really not into diamonds....it just doesn't make sense to do any different. I'll still have a beautiful ring set in platinum and I'd rather us take the money we saved and throw a boat and a few see-doo's in our backyard. I'm not interested in impressing anyone...it's only me that needs to find it beautiful (although no one will know the better) and I'm certain that if price were an issue, and I insisted on having a diamond...I may be caught up in something less than I ought to be. After all, the ring is a symbol of how much I love him and my commitment to him and if it lasts long enough to grow old with him, than a moissanite is more than I need :)

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/18/2004 1:53:38 PM valeria101 wrote:

What would be one situation when wearing impressive jewelry actually does make a good first impression ? Anywhere
sad.gif

----------------

when you're test driving cars you can't afford
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Audrey Hepburn

Rough_Rock
OOOOOhhhhh! This is a FUN post!!!

My (humble as always) opinion....
Do what makes you feel good! We only have one go on this earth (that we'll be aware of, at least!) and if you like it, and it doesn't infringe on the rights or liberties of anyone else, go for it. (Can you tell I'm a libertarian?)
For me, I'm REALLY excited about getting a real diamond ring for my engagement ring. I look at it as something I hope will be in the family for generations to come, long after I am gone, my great granddaughters can get on this site in the year 2084 and post: "I inherited this ring from my great-grandmother, and the setting sucks. But the diamond is nice. What should I do?" I have a small bezel set diamond I wear as a pendant, everyday. Goes with everything. Platinum setting. Love it.
But I KILL my earrings and I know that! So I never do anything in my ears better than CZ, 'cause I know I'd lose it. Plus, there are so many great CZ rip offs! One if the most BEAUTIFUL rings I ever bought was from Banana Republic. It's a 5 row, CZ pave eternity band. SPARKLES LIKE MAD. I've never gotten more compliments on a ring (not that I have my engagment ring...yet!) ANd the sparkle makes me smile! (Ring's still there, BTW - www. bananarepublic.com, and NO i don;t work for them!)
And, as a final note - I can't WAIT to have kids, breast feed them for 9 months, and when I'm all done, get my boob job - 'cause mine aren't huge to begin with, and at that point, when they're flat as two swedish pancakes sittin' in syrup, who cares? Do it for yourself ladies, not because people say you should, not because they say you shouldn't - one body, one life, enjoy the hell out of it! Want big diamonds and can afford it? Want CZ's 'cause they make you smile? Want big boobs for sh#ts and giggles? Are you happy with everything exactly the way it is? Fabulous, all fabulous!!

Besides, next to devastatingly brilliant intellect, wit, and dimonds(or a sparkly equivalent) - BOOBS are a girl's best accessory!
9.gif

-AH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results