shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do earrring holes do better w. gold earrings v. silver?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Why do my ears react to sterling silver?

Without saying it is allergic - why do people''s ears do better with gold than silver?

Thanks.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Sterling silver is 92.5 % silver and usually 7.5%copper.

Gold may be alloyed with different amounts of copper, silver, nickel, palladium, or other metals depending on the colour desired and the purity of the gold.

I'm not sure if people's ears necessarily do better with than gold or silver, but if you have a copper allergy then sterling silver is not your friend. Likewise if you are allergic to nickel then white gold may not be your friend.

The quality of the earring craftsmanship may also have something to do with it. If the earring post isn't well polished it may have small indents or grooves that could harbor bacteria, which could then infect your ear.

Also, if the earring changes widths, and tends to stretch your ear slightly, making it sore or irritated, then your ear is going to be unhappy due to mechanical trauma.

Gold is more expensive, so it's more likely that gold earrings will be made with narrower posts - to conserve gold, and lighter in general (also to conserve gold) but which may also be less likely to irritate/stretch your ears due to their small diameter and light weight.

Some people actually do better with sterling sliver than with 10kt gold because sterling sliver contains more silver(92.5%) than 10kt gold contains gold (41.6%).

Weird. My ears get itchy in silver but I still wear it. I don''t think I''m allergic though

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SB & Hope. I didn''t know all that Hope - thanks so much !

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Hopedream- I can''t wear white gold or silver without getting a rash. Is silver mixed with anything other than copper? (pretty sure I don''t have a copper allergy).

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Elle-chris,

Sterling Silver can contain trace amounts of nickel, and sometimes it can be rhodium plated (like white gold often is) to prevent tarnishing and prevent scratching, so you could be sensative to rhodium. As far as I know, rhodium plating of silver jewellery is becoming more and more common - especialy with factory made silver jewellery.

Argentum sterling silver (a proprietary alloy) contains both copper and germanium.

Pure silver jewellery is much less common because it''s softer so harder to work with. - Maybe someone on etsy works in pure silver?

I guess you''ll just have to stick with platinum - aw shucks!
2.gif
9.gif

How are you with unplated palladium white gold?

cheers,
HD

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Also I would like to add that the origin of the manufactor can make a difference.Example...there are guidelines(in some places actual laws)about the puification of the metals used in jewelry and objects made from alloyed metals.The United States has stricter guildlines of purifing copper and so the sterling will look better andwear better over time(wont discolor or gain spider cracking compared to ill purified copper mixed alloys)there are several current mass manfactors of sterling items...USA,italy,canada,isreal,turkey,mexico,China,Phillipines,Argintina all come to mind.I discolor from poorly alloyed sterling...over time ive found that sterling from usa and italy wont leave a green/brown/green smear when i wear it...mexico and phillipines and china will leave the marks after about 2 hours of wear.IF you itch or break out with red welt like marks or bumps them you are copper allergic and should wear 14 karat or above jewelry.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Hope- thanks for answering. no idea how I do with unplated palladium white gold. Too chicken to try it..
9.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Body chemistry. If you have acidic skin you will turn black/green with silver/copper.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results