shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do colored stone sellers want to be anonymous?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been lurking here a bit and every now and then I notice a comment that the vendor of a stone wants to remain anonymous. I''m just curious as to why. Is there something about colored stones (as opposed to diamonds or other jewelry) that could be the explanation?

I''d love to hear about your experiences and/or reasoning.
21.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 11:10:26 PM
Author:Gayletmom
I''ve been lurking here a bit and every now and then I notice a comment that the vendor of a stone wants to remain anonymous. I''m just curious as to why. Is there something about colored stones (as opposed to diamonds or other jewelry) that could be the explanation?

I''d love to hear about your experiences and/or reasoning.
21.gif
Are you sure it''s the colored stone dealers that want to be anonymous, or the people that buy from them that want these dealers to remain anonymous??? I''m curious myself.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gayletmom,
One of my dealers has requested anonymity because he''s not set up to deal with many individuals. He sells to me only as a favour to a mutual friend.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, must agree with Harriet. I have dealings with a cutter who does not sell directly to the public; he sells only to the trade and jewellers. He sells directly to me upon the recommendation of a good jeweller friend. Therefore, I am obligated to keep mum about his name. He is the only one that I cannot divulge his name. I happily share the names of the vendors with everyone else on CS.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Harriet and Chrono. That makes perfect sense. And congrats to both of you for finding "alternative" sources!
1.gif

TL, I suppose it could sometimes be the buyer who doesn''t want to share (not in the cases of Harriet and Chrono). I hadn''t thought of that possibility but it''s certainly a reasonable guess.

Do any of you think that there is a relative scarcity of high-quality colored stones (at least some types) as opposed to, say, diamonds? If so, I suppose that could be a factor?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top quality gems of certain species are rarer and more expensive than diamonds. However, I doubt that''s a factor in not sharing the vendor''s name. I believe it''s those who finds the bargains who possibly want to keep quiet about it as to continue buying at a competitive price. These stones are probably quite nice but not necessarily top notch. Just my guess.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Certain species are very scarce, and top specimens of them even more so. Witness Paraiba. How many knock-your-socks-off stones have you seen posted here? But, the vendors know their market and their goods are priced accordingly. In short, I doubt there are any bargains to be had at the top end.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Certain species are very scarce, and top specimens of them even more so. Witness Paraiba. How many knock-your-socks-off stones have you seen posted here? But, the vendors know their market and their goods are priced accordingly. In short, I doubt there are any bargains to be had at the top end.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results