shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are smaller diamonds more difficult to find?

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I read that it’s more difficult to find lab stones smaller than 1ct. Is this true? Curious as to why?!

I am having a tough time finding .25-.35 lab ovals for a 3 stone ring. My guess is the profit margin is too low. Would love to hear others thoughts too.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having a tough time finding .25-.35 lab ovals for a 3 stone ring. My guess is the profit margin is too low. Would love to hear others thoughts too.

I agree. I believe the costs of cutting and grading are largely fixed, so there are decreasing returns as you go smaller.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I assume, there is a smaller demand. Basically lab diamonds enable people to buy their dream stone size, which is usually a bigger sized stone, so why produce smaller sizes, if people want to buy bigger ones?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
There are plenty of LGD tennis bracelets, earrings, etc. Maybe you can’t find loose lab diamonds in small sizes but if you ask the person who you want to make your ring for you, they could source the diamonds.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are plenty of LGD tennis bracelets, earrings, etc. Maybe you can’t find loose lab diamonds in small sizes but if you ask the person who you want to make your ring for you, they could source the diamonds.

ya they're more likely to sell in large parcels for necklaces, bracelets, etc.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's all in the marketing.
The prices of smaller LGD's have remained pretty constant, while larger stones have dropped in price.
I don't see that changing due to the labor involved.
Another interesting anomoly....
As techniques improve, fewer and fewer H-I-J-K stones are being produced. So now LGD in D color can be cheaper than J color!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree. I believe the costs of cutting and grading are largely fixed, so there are decreasing returns as you go smaller.
Exactly, it does not take much longer to cut a 1ct than a .33ct.
The handling costs are the same.
They do get sold in bulk with bulk grading, a report makes no economic sense with them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results