shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are ovals so tricky? Any help appreciated!

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I have a hankering for a ~2 carat lab diamond oval. I'm looking for the best cut/sparkle I can get. Budget is around 2k-ish for the stone. I don't mind a lower color, especially if it's cut well. I'm planning on setting in yellow or rose gold. I just find it so hard to figure out which cut is best! When I go on Ritani I see a lot that look fairly pretty/sparkly with not too much of a bow tie... what do you all think? I also don't mind some inclusions as long as they're not super noticeable. Any thoughts on these?

OR if anyone knows of a place where I can get a beautifully cut lab oval for 2k-2.4k-ish, I'm all ears!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @sparklyshrink ! I recently bought a 1.8ct K oval (brownish/greyish, like your last stone) from Ritani and returned it because it was... really not beautiful to my eyes. Exchanged it for an H. I generally don't care about tint in my diamonds -- I have had an M/brown natural diamond OEC, and I have a L/M yellow natural diamond I wear often, both of which were pretty and I didn't at all mind their color! -- but there was something about the tone of the brownish-greyish K that was very offputting. So, I think you may be on a better track with the yellow ones!
(1.8, brownish/greyish)

(1.4, yellowish)

As far as cut - I looked for an oval that wasn't SUPER mushy at the ends. That was... kinda it, and I think I mostly "convinced myself" that the diamond was OK, rather than it being objectively well cut, haha. They are all fairly similar in cut, and since I barely see / don't care about inclusions, I think I basically gave up and went with the single H that fell within my budget. ;-) Good luck with your search!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All!!
Yes, ovals are a bit tricky to select, in terms of cut.
Since there aren't stats that "work, one really needs to "eyeball" the stone- or have it assessed by a trusted vendor.

IN terms of color...I've been much more sensitive to the lower colors in LG diamonds...I'm a J-K-L-M lover in natural diamonds....but a large percentage of LG diamonds in these lower colors have undesirable grey tints....
There are some nicer ones out there....but you really have to be picky....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results