shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are loose rose cut diamonds so hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''ve searched the web and haven''t seen much. I found one site out of India that claimed to have them, but when I inquired they sent me a bunch of junk mail that had nothing to do with gemstones. I saw one on Old World Diamonds but it was a bit smaller than what I was interested in. My jewelry teacher says he sometimes finds them at gem shows. Anyone know where to find them?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will need to talk with vendors who know where to access these things, some of them might surprise you, such as Todd from Nice Ice. These are not your main stream items, and you will need to ferret out the vendors who know and deal in the older cut gems to find them.

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One aspect I''ve found is that rose cuts are impossible to photograph effectively - so there are less online vendors who show them

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rose cuts are in good supply, mostly in India and/or with Indian dealers. I will see plenty of them at the coming Tucson Gem Show in a week's time. A main reason few are being offered is there is so little demand for these diamonds in the USA and strong demand in other markets. A diamond dealer who has x amount of money to invest in inventory tends to put money into items which have a more rapid turnover time because profit margins are often quite thin and inventory must more rapidly to make overhead costs plus a profit. Whenever I have had a larger rose cut, such as 2 carats or more, in a good color and clarity, it has always sold very rapidily to a dealer or collectors outside the USA. Not much interest here most of the time.

The same is true with fine star sapphires, star rubies and chrysoberyl catseyes. They are rather rare in our market, but far more common and available elsewhere where demand makes them better to stock in an inventory. Their rarity is more a function of lack of demand here than true scarcity. It is just about the same with rose cut diamonds.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I''ve purchased some nice rose cut diamonds from Manak Jewelers. I found them at the Intergem show in the wholesale section, I think their website is www.manakjewelers.com. They were very nice and let me buy in small quantities and had a nice selection of rose cut diamonds. I''ve also purchased from Prigems, or maybe it was Prijems before, but they mainly deal with wholesalers and weren''t as helpful.

I LOVE rose cut diamonds, I wish I could get some in larger sizes, maybe when I save up a little.... Mostly the ones I''ve purchased have been on the smaller side. How large of a size were you looking for, and what are you planning on doing with it? I also saw a nice selection at the Bangkok gem show, but I didn''t take down the seller information. Good luck on your search, I can''t wait to see what you come up with!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2010 3:20:03 PM
Author: oldminer
Rose cuts are in good supply, mostly in India and/or with Indian dealers. I will see plenty of them at the coming Tucson Gem Show in a week's time. A main reason few are being offered is there is so little demand for these diamonds in the USA and strong demand in other markets. A diamond dealer who has x amount of money to invest in inventory tends to put money into items which have a more rapid turnover time because profit margins are often quite thin and inventory must more rapidly to make overhead costs plus a profit. Whenever I have had a larger rose cut, such as 2 carats or more, in a good color and clarity, it has always sold very rapidily to a dealer or collectors outside the USA. Not much interest here most of the time.

The same is true with fine star sapphires, star rubies and chrysoberyl catseyes. They are rather rare in our market, but far more common and available elsewhere where demand makes them better to stock in an inventory. Their rarity is more a function of lack of demand here than true scarcity. It is just about the same with rose cut diamonds.
I'll second this - my grandmother has pieces dripping in them, and the diamonds on my wedding jewellery (purchased in Madras a few months ago) are all small rose cuts, and apparently there was quite a selection to choose from. I've seen very few "traditional" 57/58f diamonds in our family jewellery.

sarah95

Shiny_Rock
Dave, what is the range of pricing for a 2ct rose cut diamond with good color and clarity? My Mom saw a necklace with rose cut diamonds and has no idea how to calculate what the price should be -since they''re not priced the same way regular diamonds are. TIA!
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the information everyone :)

Freefly, I don't have a specific project planned yet. But I might have some extra money left over after I have two stones set this summer, and a rose cut has been on my wish list for a long time. We'll see. I think a yellow gold filigree setting would look really nice. Not sure what the weight to size ratio is with rose cuts though. Anyone know?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check with James Meyer. I asked him about a project with rose cuts in the past.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 11:00:45 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Check with James Meyer. I asked him about a project with rose cuts in the past.
Ooohhh that is a great idea!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
BTW Manak jewels has some unusual stuff on their site. I''ve never seen diamond beads before. Wow!
And they are only a few miles from my house right here in S.F.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m having a ring made by Jewels by Erica Grace and it has some decent sized rose cut diamonds in it, they have them cut as needed for clients as much as I can tell. I believe they use Single Stone for many of their projects and they mostly do antique reproductions so they have more access to antique cuts. I would start with those vendors. Good luck!

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 10:49:29 PM
Author: innerkitten
Thanks for the information everyone :)

Freefly, I don''t have a specific project planned yet. But I might have some extra money left over after I have two stones set this summer, and a rose cut has been on my wish list for a long time. We''ll see. I think a yellow gold filigree setting would look really nice. Not sure what the weight to size ratio is with rose cuts though. Anyone know?

I can''t wait to see what you come up with. I''m glad Manak is close to where you live. They are super nice, they were willing to sell me even a couple of melee rose cut diamonds for some small projects I wanted with no minimums. Their diamond beads and briolettes are super pretty too! They have a great selection of old cuts as well, although I didn''t ask for prices on them. I looked at some of their larger rose cut diamonds and would definitely love to save up for one, it''s on my list too! If you go visit them, let me know what you find!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover, this ring you''re having made sounds interesting. Can''t wait to see the final product.

Freefly, Have you posted any photos of the piece you used the small stones for?

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 11:55:06 AM
Asscherhalo_lover, this ring you''re having made sounds interesting. Can''t wait to see the final product.

Freefly, Have you posted any photos of the piece you used the small stones for?

If you look under my previous threads on my pieces from Sally, they pretty much all have rose cut diamonds on them. Look under the second page of the spinner meditation ring thread, you''ll see some close up pics of my rose cuts. Hope you like them!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love those rings! I wish I had a spinner ring too. Very cool design with the rose cuts. Did you come up with those designs yourself?

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 2:41:07 AM
I love those rings! I wish I had a spinner ring too. Very cool design with the rose cuts. Did you come up with those designs yourself?

Thanks, Innerkitten! Funny, I''m wearing the spinner ring right now, and I was just spinning it! I did come up with the ideas for all those pieces on my own, and Sally was kind enough to create them for me. The pendant with the larger rose cut stone turned out really nice. I think the next time the gem show comes around and I see the guys from Manak, I''m going to have to take a look at their larger rose cut diamonds.....

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo I love rose cuts! Looking forward to how it all turns out for you IK!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh, how conveniently close Manak is! Innerkitten, if you go please report back!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results