shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are fancy pink LGD diamonds so much cheaper?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A respected local jeweler just started carrying lab grown diamonds from Pure Grown Diamonds. I am very new and uneducated about lab grown diamonds. Why are lab grown pink diamonds so much cheaper. I saw a beautiful .46 ct fancy pink for $1500. It was graded VVS2 by IGI, with strong orange fluor, which I was able to see. I must admit. The diamond was beautiful, and I could clearly see the pink hue. The cut was quite good, clear arrows and very little leakage, from the loupe and naked eye.

Thanks for any info you can share.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no clue LLJsmom but bumping this thread so maybe some other PSers who do know about lab grown diamonds will see this and respond.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They grow them yellow and turn them pink with some sort of variation of high temperature and high pressure treatment. I think the exact details are proprietary.

Yellow diamonds are the easiest to grow because you can pump the growth chamber full of nitrogen, and it's the presence of nitrogen impurities in diamond that shifts the molecular structure and turns them yellow. The HTHP treatments shift the structure yet again and they turn pink. Blue diamonds are grown in the presence of boron, and green diamonds are brown diamonds that have been hit with radiation.

ETA: Fine article right here on PS by none other than Eric Franklin, D.NEA!

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/synthetic-diamonds

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results