shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are diamonds rare in the 2.5 - 3 carat range?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Hey All. I'm a major lurker ISO an ering. From all the research I've done and checking out this site, it seems clear that there are not many diamonds in the 2.5 - 3 carat range. Even when I look at bluenile or GOG, most diamonds seem to be between 2-2.5 or 3 and up. Is there a reason for this? I hate to say this, and I'll expect the backlash -- I think 3 carats is just too big for me. I'm hoping for a 2.7-ish cushion (which is still HUGE) but can't seem to find exactly what I'm going for...ideas? thoughts?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Supply and demand. Large rough diamond material is in short supply and therefore so is the amount of cut diamonds in this size. Plus there is a very high demand for larger diamonds. Also cutters will try to hit magic weights such as 2 carats, 2.5 cts, 3cts and so on, that is why you don't see so many' inbetween' weights. They are out there the sometimes the 1.9's, 2.3's, 2.7cts etc but not in huge quantities.

No backlash at all also, some do find 3cts too large for their personal taste. What I would suggest if you are looking specifically for a cushion is to contact Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com as he has an excellent eye for a cushion.

Tell him what you want and give him a size range to work with to broaden the options. GOG might also be able to source you a cushion if you ask.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info! I''m really hoping to find something soon so we can move along in the "process"!
26.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
There''s nothing wrong with you thinking 3 ct is too big for you.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to throw this out there but if you know the dimensions you want your stone to be I would go off of that rather than carat weight, you might get lucky and get a smaller carat weight but look as large as you think 2.7 should look like

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a great point. The jeweler I am working with did mention something about millimeters, which I''m slowly starting to understand! Thanks for the help!
26.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I guess larger pieces of nice clean diamond rough are harder to find. But easier to find then some of the colored gemstones out there in a similar size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results