shape
carat
color
clarity

Why am I not surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Isn''t BO the one that said he wanted Transparency?

link

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2009 12:38:18 PM
Author:oshinbreez
Isn''t BO the one that said he wanted Transparency?

link
excerpts from various articles on this issue -

The order on presidential records “ends the practice of having others besides the president assert executive privilege for records after an administration ends," the White House officials said in a statement. Now, only the president will have that power, limiting its potential for abuse." The also order requires the attorney general and the White House counsel to review claims of executive privilege related to covered records.
Moving quickly to undo the Bush administration''s regime of secrecy, President Obama on Wednesday repealed a 2001 executive order
granting former presidents, and even vice presidents, the ability to keep documents secret long past the 12 years allowed by law.

In announcing the order, Obama said it will even tie his own hands.

"Going forward, any time the American people want to know something that I or a former president wants to withhold, we will have to consult with the attorney general and the White House counsel, whose business it is to ensure compliance with the rule of law," the Washington Times quoted Obama, as saying.

"Information will not be withheld just because I say so. It will be withheld because a separate authority believes my request is well-grounded in the Constitution," he added.

with historians hoping in 2001 to finally gain a peek at Reagan administration documents, Bush changed the rules with Executive Order 13233, which gave former presidents, relatives of deceased former presidents and even former vice presidents a veto over the release of information.

Former presidents can still exert privilege, but the new order returns the final say to the Archivist of the United States, in consultation with the current president.

end excerpts

And this is not transparent HOW exactly?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:06:29 PM
Author: ksinger

And this is not transparent HOW exactly?

Because it doesn''t transmit through my tin foil hat, that''s how!

TinFoilHatAread.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
oshinbreeze, you need to go back and read the article again. The point of repealing the existing executive order is to create MORE accountability when it comes to the practice of withholding presidential records. In other words, the president doesn''t get to keep them secret just for funsies ''cuz he wants to. Now they have LEGAL EXPERTS weigh in as well, and the request must be found to be grounded in the Constitution.

In my tiny liberal bubble we like to call this... "transparency." Or, alternately, "reading comprehension."

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Excellent *heading* by the way... why am I not surprised?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 6:17:29 PM
Author: Starset Princess

SNORT.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 6:19:25 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 1/22/2009 6:17:29 PM
Author: Starset Princess

SNORT.
Never disappoints.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results