shape
carat
color
clarity

who's right and who's wrong

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to get some thoughts. Here is the short story. I saw 2 rings. I like the setting on one and the prongs on the other. I asked if i could combine the setting and prongs and to let me know if there were any complications with this to the retailer. I even super-imposed the 2 pictures. She had to speak to the company that owned the collection. They came back via email stating the price and the model numbers to get this done, warranty, another item I had asked but NO mention of any complications. I went to pay the deposit and still no mention of any complications. When the ring came into the store, they said it was perfect. I got the ring back and I notice lots of issues. For one thing an important feature was missing. They said it was because of the changes I asked. The quality was really poor. It was not symmetrical. And some of the parts that were suppose to be curves were instead rigid. They said it was because it's handmade. Basically, there were numerous areas that weren't the same compared to my picture. When they sent the setting and my diamond in to get it set, a few days later I said to myself that this isn't right, even though it's handmade, there has to be some quality control, afterall the ones in the showcase were perfect and they were also handmade. So, I asked to get it fixed. When I got the ring back, it was still not fixed. Very frustrated, I sent an email to the company that owned the collection stating that i was never told there would be a missing piece and that the quality is extremely awful. On their website it says they are of the highest quality. I told them that I don't understand how they could release a product that is so poor in quality and that it's poor business practice to show a customer a good quality ring in the showcase only to deliver a poor quality one. They said that the retailer mentioned to me the missing feature when I went to pay the deposit but they never did. If there were any complications, shouldn't they have written it down in the email with all the other details? Of course they sided with the retailer. They told me to wait 2 weeks so that I can express my concerns to a representative that is going to be at the store. The representative says that the ring is perfect and that the retailer told me about the missing feature. She also said that if we were to try to fix it, it will degrade the sturdiness of the ring. Basically, I didn't have a choice. She also mention some other issues with the ring that was due to the requested change. These were never mentioned to me before the order was placed. She said that if i put the ring in my fiance's finger, no one will notice. I sent an email back to the head office. I said it's clear you and your retailer have communication and quality issues. I am not going to pay for your mistakes. They offer to fix one of the issues and stated that the order was according to my request. It's odd that their rep says it's perfect and it can't be fixed (baiscally forcing me to take it with no choice) but the head office says they will fix it.

I think i deserve a new one with the changes I originally asked OR another one with equal value, because the rep said if they try to fix it, it will be less sturdy AND i was never told about the missing feature and any other issues that may arise from the requested change. If I had, I would have re-considered. What do you guys think?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
a) I would like to see some pictures of what you describe (both your design ideas and the ring as is)
b) This is not unheard of when using some small family shops or some way too big chains. Sometimes it really is just a turnover game, no quality really that you can count on without excuses and it's buyer beware.
c) Most of us here on PS are happy with the typical vendor attitude here and would be pretty pissed about what you're going through.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I believe there is a well known saying around the world....The customer is always right.

You are the one spending money to keep their business going in these crazy times...they should be bending over backwards to make sure you, the customer, are happy!

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I agree the quote "the customer is always right," but i think the customer has to be reasonable. I think i made a pretty good case. If I were told about the missing features that my customization would cause, then ok fine. But I wasn't, otherwise i would have re-considered. Also, if you show me something that is of good quality and deliver something else and pass it on as "perfect." I think that is pretty poor business practice.

So, I think because I wasn't told of any of the missing features, I should be able to choose a different item with the same value or get full refund because you couldn't deliver. I think this is fair. What do you think?

they offered to fix the imperfections to increase quality, but their representative said any attempt would degrade the sturdiness of the ring. I don't want my ring to fall apart. I think this is grounds to get a new one already. What do you think?

The retailer is a pretty small shop. However, the collection that they carry is well known. The claim to specialized in the highest quality, but i don't understand how they can say that if they released this ring. I have gone straight to the collection. However, it seems my concerns, comments, and requests are going into deaf ears. Are my requests unreasonable? Am I wrong to ask for this?

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
Well, I really tried to get this resolved but nothing. It's been over a month now. Here is a summary:

I found 2 beautiful Verragio rings from Creative Goldsmiths (10-20160 Langley Bypass, Langley, BC, Canada). But I wanted to create a unique one based on these 2 rings. I super-imposed the 2 pictures so that Creative Goldsmiths will know exactly want I wanted and asked if there were any complications before placing the order. Creative Goldsmiths never told me any complications with the changes until it was all said and done. In addition, the ring is extremely poor quality. Creative Goldsmiths never gave me any options. They just gave a lot of excuses. I nicely explained to them that this is not what I had expected from a high quality ring. I didn't think I need to explain to them this but I did anyway. It's quite obvious and they are in the business of "looking good." The ring was sent back to Verragio for repair and when it came back it was pretty much the same. I contacted Verragio directly asking whether this is Verragio's quality and service that people should come to expect and how this could have been released to begin with. Verragio ignored my concerns and said the ring is perfect, and adds that this is not fixable as the sturdiness of the ring will degrade. So, basically, "too bad!"

I'm pretty upset and I want to share my experience to everyone and to tell everyone to avoid Verragio and Creative Goldsmiths. You can view my experience and see pictures of Verragio's so called "high quality" in my blog, **edited by moderator. Please upload photos and stories to PS directly, we do not allow linking to blogs**.

In short,

DON'T PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM CREATIVE GOLDSMITHS and VERRAGIO!! They will give you a poor quality product and ignore your concerns!!!!

If you have any questions feel free to reply to this thread or send me a message, I will reply.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mr. B, I really sympathize with your disappointment. Some of the mistakes are egregious, I think - the missing tulip is someone's mistake, plain and simple. Some of the others I'd chalk up to to the craftsmanship of a handmade ring ... perfect symmetry is a challenge, outside of CAD (though as a collector and a jeweler, I think fixing the fusing, scrolls, etc., or at least minimizing the discrepancies, shouldn't be an impossible task). That said ... I think you're setting yourself up for a slander lawsuit with the website. Posting on a consumer site like this one has helped some diamond buyers to get satisfaction, others not so much: but I'd be careful about setting up a website whole and entire.

P.S. - PriceScope generally doesn't allow links to blogs, so your link is probably going to disappear shortly. You might want to consider killing the site, and just posting the story here and on other, similar sites ....

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
Hi Circe,

Thanks for the reply. I already sent the ring in for repair once. This is what I got. A Verragio representative came to see the ring and said there was nothing they can do and if they tried, the sturdiness of the ring will be gone.

The blog is the story of my experience and my recommendation. In addition, the blog also lists out the sequence of events (in another page) and email threads as well as the main proof, the ring. I tried to get this resolved and i got ZERO replies.

Oh, I apologize, i didn't realize I can't link to a blog. I just saw the URL button.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your blog linked got blocked by PS for being against the rules. Can you post the pictures here on PS?

I hope you purchased the ring with a credit card. If so, and just from reading your story and a response from someone who was able to see the pictures, I would dispute the purchase through your credit card company. Best case scenario, you don't have to pay for that ring and can go get another one.

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
I attached a couple of pictures. One is the image that i gave to Creative Goldsmiths before placing the order so they know what i wanted. And the other is what I received.

IMG_7548.JPG

Attachments

• super_imposed.bmp
    455.2 KB · Views: 743

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
I wont sugar coat this.. The ring they gave you looks like a CHEAP REPLICA.. :errrr: When you buy a branded product you expect the quality, design, and craftsmanship that are associated with that brand. The ring they sold you is poorly made and even a lay person could easily see that. If I were you, I consider suing them in small claims court. THAT should get their attention..

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Can you get a refund? If it was me I would not let them touch my diamond again.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It looks like the local jeweler tried to make the change and it should have been sent to Verragio. Or Verragio should have made a custom setting from scratch. You spoke with the Verragio rep but have you written to Verragio? That ring looks nothing like the pieces they sell. And if you were told of a change it should have been put in writing on a work order.

This is what their warranty states
"A ring that symbolizes a lifetime of commitment should last just as long. When you own a VERRAGIO ring, you have the added assurance of the high quality that the VERRAGIO name represents. Verragio stands behind products purchased through authorized retailers.

Under this warranty, Verragio guarantees that your product will be free of defects in materials and workmanship."

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
PavePrincess: Thanks for you honesty. Yes, I agree with you. The expectation is set by Verragio not me. They state that they of the "highest quality." And on their website and showcase rings, they look really good. I was expecting at the very least that the quality be as good as the showcase ones. I understand that it's hand made but that just means it's poor craftsmanship. I explained this to both Creative Goldsmiths and Verragio. But they don't seem to accept it.

Lovinggems: They have not offered me a refund. They offered to fix it. But I already sent it in once already AND the Verragio representative said if they tried to do anything, the ring will lose it's sturdiness. I really do not want my ring to fall apart. Or worse lose the main diamond. It took them a week afterwards, but on 29-Nov, they offered to allow me to pick one of equal value because they could not put the tulip with the diamond prongs. Basically they just couldn't do what I had asked for. Verragio said to contact Creative Goldsmiths for this transaction. I sent Creative Goldsmiths an email on 6-Dec. I got no reply. I also didn't get any reply from Verragio anymore.

swingirl: Everything was done at Verragio, in NY. That was what i was told. I wrote an email to Verragio directly and corresponded with them throughout this process. But they are siding with Creative Goldsmiths eventhough I gave them all of my arguments which they haven't countered. I also wrote out the sequence of events and provided our email conversations in my blog. In short they said "no they weren't going to do anything" to "asking me to send it back for repair" to "I get to pick another one that is equal in value" to no response after I told them what I picked.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Mr.B|1292153432|2794764 said:
PavePrincess: Thanks for you honesty. Yes, I agree with you. The expectation is set by Verragio not me. They state that they of the "highest quality." And on their website and showcase rings, they look really good. I was expecting at the very least that the quality be as good as the showcase ones. I understand that it's hand made but that just means it's poor craftsmanship. I explained this to both Creative Goldsmiths and Verragio. But they don't seem to accept it.

Lovinggems: They have not offered me a refund. They offered to fix it. But I already sent it in once already AND the Verragio representative said if they tried to do anything, the ring will lose it's sturdiness. I really do not want my ring to fall apart. Or worse lose the main diamond. It took them a week afterwards, but on 29-Nov, they offered to allow me to pick one of equal value because they could not put the tulip with the diamond prongs. Basically they just couldn't do what I had asked for. Verragio said to contact Creative Goldsmiths for this transaction. I sent Creative Goldsmiths an email on 6-Dec. I got no reply. I also didn't get any reply from Verragio anymore.

swingirl: Everything was done at Verragio, in NY. That was what i was told. I wrote an email to Verragio directly and corresponded with them throughout this process. But they are siding with Creative Goldsmiths eventhough I gave them all of my arguments which they haven't countered. I also wrote out the sequence of events and provided our email conversations in my blog. In short they said "no they weren't going to do anything" to "asking me to send it back for repair" to "I get to pick another one that is equal in value" to no response after I told them what I picked.

Was this offered in writing?

I am sorry this venture turned out so badly. Custom can be a PITA and I'm sorry your ring and the aftercare have been handled so badly.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you pay with a credit card?

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
Steal: Yes, we have been having email conversations. Email from Verragio on 29-Nov, "Please contact Creative Goldsmith at your earliest convenience. They will allow you to choose a different Verragio style that is of equal value to the custom piece you purchased." I would think purchasing from a reputable company like Verragio would minimize or eliminate issues that come out of a custom ring.

mary poppins: I apologize, I missed your question on the previous post. Yes, it was paid by a credit card. The ring has my center diamond. If I cancel the payment, I have to return the ring. But what do I do with my center diamond? I don't think it's a good idea for me to go and get it out myself (myself, meaning a professional jeweler), because I don't know what Verragio will say about that shape of the ring. Right now, I've already complied to my part of the contractual agreement.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone offered you a full refund? Because that's what I would ask for. You shouldn't have to pick your second or third choice for a setting.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Mr.B|1292184383|2795008 said:
Steal: Yes, we have been having email conversations. Email from Verragio on 29-Nov, "Please contact Creative Goldsmith at your earliest convenience. They will allow you to choose a different Verragio style that is of equal value to the custom piece you purchased." I would think purchasing from a reputable company like Verragio would minimize or eliminate issues that come out of a custom ring.

mary poppins: I apologize, I missed your question on the previous post. Yes, it was paid by a credit card. The ring has my center diamond. If I cancel the payment, I have to return the ring. But what do I do with my center diamond? I don't think it's a good idea for me to go and get it out myself (myself, meaning a professional jeweler), because I don't know what Verragio will say about that shape of the ring. Right now, I've already complied to my part of the contractual agreement.

Okay, so the min you can expect out of this is a value alternative because you have this offered in B&W.

Do you want that? What do you want?

I assume your CC is of no help. I assume you can't just cancel the charge?

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Ewwww....that sounds similar to what happened to me. I got my ring back a few months ago and thought...How the HEEEEEEEELLLL did this pass "quality control". I let the rep know immediately that I was not happy with the quality and poor craftsmanship.

I was lucky to finally get it back the way I wanted it (after they sent it off to the designer and didn't do it themselves). I was worried when the rep got it back and said it was perfect, since he said that before. It is now though, to my liking.

I wish the same for you, and I understand how you must feel.

Mr.B

Rough_Rock
swingirl: No one has offered a full refund.

Steal: I would not mine picking another one of equal value. But if i were to pick one that is cheaper, I expect to get the difference back. But even this, I can't even get. I get no response from Creative Goldsmiths after I sent an email on 6-Dec. I enquired again on 12-Dec and this is what Verragio has to say today, "Any further inquiries must be taken up with Creative Goldsmiths." What do I do with my diamond? It's also been 2+ months. I was hoping to resolve this issue. Boy was I wrong. I didn't realize Verragio and Creative Goldsmiths would treat their paying customer like this.

Bleed Burnt Orange: What do you mean "do it themselves?" Aren't all rings suppose to be done by Verragio in New York? what Verragio ring was yours?

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I would have my diamond removed, return the setting and do a charge back. You will be wasting your time and fighting, when you shouldn't have to. That setting is extremely poor quality. Start over with a new setting somewhere else, you'll save time and frustration. I'd rather have an unset diamond than one in that setting, honestly.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Mr.B|1292298596|2796276 said:
swingirl: No one has offered a full refund.

Steal: I would not mine picking another one of equal value. But if i were to pick one that is cheaper, I expect to get the difference back. But even this, I can't even get. I get no response from Creative Goldsmiths after I sent an email on 6-Dec. I enquired again on 12-Dec and this is what Verragio has to say today, "Any further inquiries must be taken up with Creative Goldsmiths." What do I do with my diamond? It's also been 2+ months. I was hoping to resolve this issue. Boy was I wrong. I didn't realize Verragio and Creative Goldsmiths would treat their paying customer like this.

Bleed Burnt Orange: What do you mean "do it themselves?" Aren't all rings suppose to be done by Verragio in New York? what Verragio ring was yours?

You know, this situation sucks and you should not have been offered an inferior product. But you are in a position of control and you can make this better. Here is what I would do. And all of this is assuming that your CC policy would not help you out; it might be worth giving them a call just to sure of that.

1. E-mail is not helping at this stage; while providing 'proof' of contact it is not progressing the matter so stop e-mailing.
2. Send a registered letter to both the vendor & designer enclosing copies of your e-mails to date. In that letter advise them that you will attend the store on X date and expect to be met with a person of suitable authority who has been properly briefed of the current situation and is intent on resolving the matter. If you are not met at that time by such a person then by that inaction they agree that the current situation is both unworkable and frustrated. As such a full refund will be demanded or a charge back will be initiated.[There is no point restating that they offered the equivalent value, by enclosing the e-mails anybody who didn't deal with it can look for themselves. Don't get into he said she said, I'm unhappy etc. Just attach the e-mails and those few sentences. It looks so much tougher. Oh and if you can find the head office addresses for both then cc everybody and at the bottom of the letter acknowledge who else is cc'd. BTW I know you might not get the CC refund & you know, they don't know it for sure. You are bluffing.]

If you do attend you need to know what you will accept.
Do you want to return the ring to them with your diamond still in the setting?
If so you will need them to appraise the diamond before it is removed - in front of you and handwrite a note which they confirm the condition of the stone. There is no point them taking back the ring and calling you saying you cracked/chipped your own stone these past two weeks.
Do you want to take the equivalent value setting and bring it to another setter?
Will you be able to choose another setting to use up all the credit - perhaps a setting and band?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results