shape
carat
color
clarity

Whos bed is it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Here is Lorelei''s Baby K-norr on the cat bed laying an egg, little Kojak is waiting to take her place in the cat bed so she can lay HER egg! They are so funny! Notice how they have taken some hay to make the nest more comfortable!

LoreleisEggs.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww.
1.gif

Where''s the cat?? It''ll leave the chickens and eggs alone right?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Too cute. Waiting in line for the prize spot. Why do you think they like the cat bed so much?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww!

Eggcelent pic Lorelei!
9.gif
25.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is hilarious!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe...thanks guys , Irina thought you might all enjoy my crazy chicken's antics! Great title Irina!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I am glad you approve of the eggcellent pic Ellen!
41.gif

Gypsy, the cats don't mess with the chicks, I put the nest in there for one of the cats and the chicks hijacked it!

Julia, I don't know why they have taken to the bed like they have, I guess they think it is eggstra good for nesting!

After I took the pic, little Kojak got really fed up waiting for Baby K-norr who wouldn't budge, she started crying and complaining!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who knew chickens could be so eggscentric
26.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
From the looks of things, I think you are going to have to get two cat beds, maybe 3? I never thought of chickens being like hampsters--wanting the fluffy stuff and all. And, to show how naive I am, I didn''t know they would dare lay two mothers'' eggs in the same nest! Who sits on those things?

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
hah : )

we used to leave the stuffing from the dog beds our CRAZY Mastiff mix would chew to bits out for the chickens to insulate their nests with
9.gif

never thought about giving perfectly nice cat beds to them
31.gif

VERY cute!

Aussie : p

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2007 3:33:42 PM
Author: justjulia
From the looks of things, I think you are going to have to get two cat beds, maybe 3? I never thought of chickens being like hampsters--wanting the fluffy stuff and all. And, to show how naive I am, I didn''t know they would dare lay two mothers'' eggs in the same nest! Who sits on those things?

Actually all 6 of them are laying eggs in there at the moment!
9.gif
I once had 2 Mommy chickens raise their families together which is very unusual, they can often attack other hen''s chicks, but these two shared the babies and their upbringing, the funny thing was that the chicks knew whose wing to go under at night, they knew who their actual Mommy was
face23.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, my cat never took to her bed (only a human bed will do)...maybe I should donate to the Lorelei chicken coop!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2007 3:57:44 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Hmmm, my cat never took to her bed (only a human bed will do)...maybe I should donate to the Lorelei chicken coop!!
I know my chicks would be most grateful for the donation FG, it might stop Kojak whimpering at Baby K-norr if she has her own...
37.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so cute, it makes me want to get a couple of chickens.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how funny! These animals and their nests!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
So cute!!!

When I was in highschool, we had a little red hen just show up on our back porch. I told my dad it was a "wild chicken" but he said there was no such thing and that it must have been somebody''s easter chick, lost. She allowed us to pick her up and carry her around, and she liked to hang out with the dog. She even rode in the car to get my neice to go to ballet class, and several times she attempted to come into the house. She lived in our yard for about 4 months, then she met an untimely end, unfortunately, when a neighbor''s dog grabbed her and shook her. Heart attack, we guessed. Poor little Henrietta. My mom has wanted to get more but worries about avian flu in her area. They can be such good pets. Our little "wild chicken" was lovely!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 3:54:39 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/28/2007 3:33:42 PM

Actually all 6 of them are laying eggs in there at the moment!
9.gif
I once had 2 Mommy chickens raise their families together which is very unusual, they can often attack other hen''s chicks, but these two shared the babies and their upbringing, the funny thing was that the chicks knew whose wing to go under at night, they knew who their actual Mommy was
face23.gif
That is very cool. Does someone lay an egg or more a day? How many and how often do they lay? I am facinated!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A hen needs 24 to 26 hours to produce an egg, thirty minutes later the whole process begins again! Some breeds are more prolific layers than others, I think the record for egg laying in one day was 7! Egg production normally slows in the Fall and Winter months, however mine have continued laying as it has been so mild.

Chickens make great pets, I don't think many people realize it. You can cuddle them and they have little characters as much as any animal as Sum knows! My hens are so lucky as they have a fantastic quality of life. Here is a daily routine for them.

Morning I lift them carefully out of their bed box and feed them.

They have breakfast, then toddle off to my neighbour's wild garden, he thinks it is hilarous! There is a gap in our hedge they use to get through.

Through the morning they wander back in spurts to lay their eggs in the cat bed! Once done, back to my neighbours garden.

About 2pm they come back for lunch then go back to the garden, they might go into their own garden to see what is going on for a change.

About 4.30 pm they come back to get in my way as I am trying to get other animals settled! They then have a scratch around the yard and have some dinner, then as it grows dark, one by one they go into the barn, hop up onto various ladders and hay bales ( they all have their own place and order of doing things) to roost. Once the last chicken has taken it's place, Hubby and I lift them down and pop them into the bed box for the night. Then it all begins over again the next day!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 4:21:17 AM

A hen needs 24 to 26 hours to produce an egg, thirty minutes later the whole process begins again! Some breeds are more prolific layers than others, I think the record for egg laying in one day was 7! Egg production normally slows in the Fall and Winter months, however mine have continued laying as it has been so mild.

Chickens make great pets, I don''t think many people realize it. You can cuddle them and they have little characters as much as any animal as Sum knows! My hens are so lucky as they have a fantastic quality of life. Here is a daily routine for them.

They have breakfast, then toddle off to my neighbour''s wild garden, he thinks it is hilarous! There is a gap in our hedge they use to get through.

Through the morning they wander back in spurts to lay their eggs in the cat bed! Once done, back to my neighbours garden.

About 2pm they come back for lunch then go back to the garden, they might go into their own garden to see what is going on for a change.

About 4.30 pm they come back to get in my way as I am trying to get other animals settled! They then have a scratch around the yard and have some dinner, then as it grows dark, one by one they go into the barn, hop up onto various ladders and hay bales ( they all have their own place and order of doing things) to roost. Once the last chicken has taken it''s place, Hubby and I lift them down and pop them into the bed box for the night. Then it all begins over again the next day!

That is precious Lorelei. Is that where the term, "pecking order" comes from?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2007 6:23:13 AM

Chickens make great pets, I don't think many people realize it. You can cuddle them and they have little characters as much as any animal as Sum knows! My hens are so lucky as they have a fantastic quality of life. Here is a daily routine for them.

They have breakfast, then toddle off to my neighbour's wild garden, he thinks it is hilarous! There is a gap in our hedge they use to get through.

About 4.30 pm they come back to get in my way as I am trying to get other animals settled! They then have a scratch around the yard and have some dinner, then as it grows dark, one by one they go into the barn, hop up onto various ladders and hay bales ( they all have their own place and order of doing things) to roost. Once the last chicken has taken it's place, Hubby and I lift them down and pop them into the bed box for the night. Then it all begins over again the next day!

That is precious Lorelei. Is that where the term, 'pecking order' comes from?
Absolutely right Julia, hens are fanatical about who leads the flock and they all have their own places in the pecking order! The leader of our flock is Fatty Mildred, a big white and grey hen who weighs a ton!
32.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
They are so wonderfully adorable! I wish I could keep some chickens. My sister does in the UK.

Question: are you able to actually eat chicken meat since you keep these birds? I find that I really can hardly eat fowl any more. I cannot eat duck or goose at all. I feel too bad to eat turkeys, which has messed up my Thanksgiving holiday.

Now reading your post I feel like eating chickens seems very wrong. I have been going this way for a while, but seeing your photos of the cute birds I just couldn''t see eating them!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
This is too eggcellent Lorelei! Thanks so much for sharing! What great pictures and "A Day in the Life of Lorelei''s Animals." If reincarnation is true I want to come back as one of your pets!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 6:59:02 AM

Date: 3/1/2007 6:23:13 AM

Chickens make great pets, I don''t think many people realize it. You can cuddle them and they have little characters as much as any animal as Sum knows! My hens are so lucky as they have a fantastic quality of life. Here is a daily routine for them.

They have breakfast, then toddle off to my neighbour''s wild garden, he thinks it is hilarous! There is a gap in our hedge they use to get through.

About 4.30 pm they come back to get in my way as I am trying to get other animals settled! They then have a scratch around the yard and have some dinner, then as it grows dark, one by one they go into the barn, hop up onto various ladders and hay bales ( they all have their own place and order of doing things) to roost. Once the last chicken has taken it''s place, Hubby and I lift them down and pop them into the bed box for the night. Then it all begins over again the next day!

That is precious Lorelei. Is that where the term, ''pecking order'' comes from?
Absolutely right Julia, hens are fanatical about who leads the flock and they all have their own places in the pecking order! The leader of our flock is Fatty Mildred, a big white and grey hen who weighs a ton!
32.gif
Fatty Mildred--priceless name! I can just imagine them going in a barn in order... this is so interesting. Thanks for explaining...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys!

Beacon - you guessed right, I can''t eat chicken, it makes me gag! I see visions of my chickies on a platter and I can''t stand it! I love chickens and they come under the pet category for me, not food!

Kim, what we try to do is provide a very happy life for all of our residents and help the unwanted and give them a place in the world. Thanks for recognizing what we do!
35.gif

Julia, hehehe...yes, Fatty Mildred is a great name and if you could see FM''s picture, you would see if fits her like a glove! They do everything in order, it is so funny to see with their little routines
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, they sound quite entertaining! And I can certainly understand not eating chicken, I''m sure I couldn''t either.
40.gif

Maybe I should get some Krispy Kreme donuts for pets...
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha - what a good idea about the KKD's as pets!
31.gif

I honestly do gag at the thought of eating chickens! When you have loved a chicken and they have loved you, there is no way you can consider one on a plate!
39.gif
My chickens are my friends....
9.gif

I have an interesting story about how Baby K- norr came to be if anyone is interested....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 8:32:36 AM
Ha - what a good idea about the KKD''s as pets!
31.gif

I honestly do gag at the thought of eating chickens! When you have loved a chicken and they have loved you, there is no way you can consider one on a plate!
39.gif
My chickens are my friends....
9.gif

I have an interesting story about how Baby K- norr came to be if anyone is interested....
I am!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok!! Remember the white chicken in my avatar? That is Amy K-norr, Baby K-norr's Mommy! Amy has been my special pet for 5 years and I love her to bits and really wanted a baby from her. In 2005 we had a rooster who since died, bless him, and he was busily impregnating any hen he could find! The only thing was, that Amy wouldn't make a nest and sit. The others were sitting no problem and raising their families, I even had a hen who was so broody she was trying to hatch a china mug! So what I did, I took some of Amy's eggs and popped them under the hen who was sitting on the mug! Three weeks later one of them hatched and I got Baby K-norr!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I was so happy, she is just like a black version of her Mommy and she has her little hat and a tiny white feather in the underside of her wing! This hen raised Baby K-norr as her own and a very good job she did!

So in other words, I had a hand in Baby K-norr's creation!
16.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Lorelei, I died when I read about the china mug!!
9.gif

That is really neat how you got Baby K-noor here. You are a good mommy.
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
this hen sat on the china mug for weeks, she even slept on it!! I had to pick her up at night and put her to bed, along with her blinking mug, she used to squawk like crazy when she was separated from it! I used to have to lift her and the mug then pop her onto it at once to keep the peace. So she was happy once she had some eggs to rear, it really was eggciting to her and eggactly what she needed
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results