shape
carat
color
clarity

whoa! have I actually found it?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this message board. After two months of searching, I may have finally found my ring. On CutNut's advice in a private email, I resisted the urge to buy quickly and waited for an OGI to get additional measurements on a stone I canvassed opinions on a few weeks ago on this message board. Here are the final numbers. Unfortunately, I don't have time to wait for a Sarin, so I'm hoping the OGI is good enough:

GIA certified
0.85 ct
VS2
G
Depth 61.7% (62% based on OGI)
Table 56.0% (56.6% based on OGI)
Crown angle 34.5 (based on OGI)
Pavillion angle 40.9 (based on OGI)
Pavillion depth 43.0% (based on OGI)
Polish-v.good
Symmetry-v.good
Thin to slightly thick girdle
Forgot to ask about OGI culet reading, but GIA cert says no culet
Medium blue fluorescence

Price: $3500 including a platinum setting with a small 0.1 ct baguette on each side

I ran the OGI numbers through the HCA and got a score of 1.3!

My only lingering concern is that I assumed a culet of zero for the HCA. Is that safe, since I have an OGI and no Sarin? Waiting for a sarin is out of the question now because I need the ring by next weekend! But I've heard that even the slightest culet can mess up HCA accuracy.

What do y'all think?

Special thanks to student who always shares his opinions with me on this stuff

I'm returning to the jeweler tomorrow or Sunday to get one last look and to make a final decision. He's holding it for me until then, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to scoop this one up.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you got a great deal. I wouldn't worry about the cutlet, since the GIA cert said that it had none. Congrats!

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tsnare,

To get slightly more technical.
The sarin results could actually
record a culet percentage of up
to 0.08% or more, which is catigorized as
very small but the GIA may record
it as none.

Just food for thought, but this is not
a negative thing. As a matter of fact,
a culet is also a facet on the stone,
which is diamond grading 101.

Some would prefer to have a "very small" culet
on a diamond, because it adds an added stabilty
to that point, and makes the diamond less likely
to chip there.

How will this effect the HCA rating?
Perhaps Garry will further illustrate.

Buy Informed!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Tsnare,

Was just playin around a little and here are possible LightScope images that can be had using the numbers you've provided.

This first one shows pale areas under the table which is a partial mix of light leakage and some light return. Examples of this can be seen on our site in stones like this, which according to the AGS #'s scored a 1.4 (close to your 1.3). http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_25ct_f_si1_h&a.htm Using the OGI #'s scores a 1.1 and 4 Excellents.

Rhino

br85gvs203.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
By changing just the minor facets that leakage can help be eliminated and you could also possibly have something more similar to this. Note the pale white under the table in the last pic is now replaced by dark reds.

br85gvs207.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hehe... not to confuse ya but here is yet another possibility by just altering the minor facets (star/upper girdles & lower girdles).

One advantage of having a gemologist with the right equipment examine this is that you'd know exactly which of these options (or the many other considerations there could also be) you'd be getting. Without seeing the actual stone it's hard to predict exactly. My general experience with 34.5/40.9 and a 56 table are typically good but I'd never attempt to appraise a diamond without seeing it. There are too many variables I'm also leaving out (like these models assume pretty awesome 3 dimensional symmetry which a GIA vg/vg or even an ex/ex may not necessarily have).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Peace,
Rhino

br85gvs204.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results