shape
carat
color
clarity

who will inherit your jewelry collection?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 8:40:58 PM
Author: jewelerman
kaleigh,
i want to see the piaget watch!A quality watch that is very under appreciated...
Umm, I don''t have a piaget watch, wish I did!!!
3.gif
You must be mistaking me for someone else?? I do love watches though....
30.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Sorry...it looks like its isacu5 that owns a piaget watch!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 9:03:50 PM
That''s ok, your post prompted me to go searching for a watch Nanny gave me, have to find my loupe to see what the make of it is, 18k yelllow gold. Had forgotten about it. So thanks!!! I would have left it sitting in my closet. Will take it to my Safety deposit box tomorrow.
It''s by Girard Perregaux. Man those letters are tiny. Or me eyes are bad, LOL!!
Aww and it''s engraved on the back, must have been a bday gift from my grandfather. 6-24-1966.

Thanks Jewelerman, if you didn''t post that, it wouldn''t have jogged my memory about this watch. When she passed, most stuff got put away, it was painful for me to deal with at the time. Speaking of time, this is a great watch!! I will get it serviced and wear it.
36.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few pieces that I inherited from my grandmother (mothers side) and some are costume stuff and a few are cool and I have no idea where she got them. My grandmother has a vintage wedding set that I would love to have, but I am not sure if I should ask for it. She is 75 and her and I have always shared a love of jewelry but I hate bringing up the topic how is it suppose to go?

"...when you croak can I have....?"
32.gif
7.gif
20.gif

It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. However, when my grandmother died when I was 16 she stipulated in the will that all the granddaughters could pick something first. I picked a pendant, lucky for me it was not until after I got back from WI from Arkansas did I realize that it was a sapphire and diamond pendant!! Cheap, but none the less it was my first really nice piece of jewelry. Although a year after her death my grandfather remarried, he was diagnosed with cancer and died (I found out on my 18th birthday). No one in the family told us he died until a week after the funeral had taken place and my moms 4 sisters cleaned out his house and took what they wanted and sold the rest. My mom got almost nothing. Then one of them had the nerve to ask me for the pendant back! Needless to say I told her where she could stick it and where she could rot.
29.gif

I do not have kids at this time (biologically) I have 2 step sons and if we do not have one of our own then I would give them to my future SDIL. But I would write in my will if in the event of a divorce it would be returned to the family. I would haunt them for all eternity if they didn''t. :) But at this moment in time, they are 8 and 6 so I have some time before I decide that.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 9:18:04 PM
Author: Kaleigh

That''s ok, your post prompted me to go searching for a watch Nanny gave me, have to find my loupe to see what the make of it is, 18k yelllow gold. Had forgotten about it. So thanks!!! I would have left it sitting in my closet. Will take it to my Safety deposit box tomorrow.
It''s by Girard Perregaux. Man those letters are tiny. Or me eyes are bad, LOL!!
Aww and it''s engraved on the back, must have been a bday gift from my grandfather. 6-24-1966.

Thanks Jewelerman, if you didn''t post that, it wouldn''t have jogged my memory about this watch. When she passed, most stuff got put away, it was painful for me to deal with at the time. Speaking of time, this is a great watch!! I will get it serviced and wear it.
36.gif
Ahhh, that is so wonderful to have a treasure like that Lisa!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 10:39:17 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 7/8/2008 9:18:04 PM
Author: Kaleigh

36.gif
Ahhh, that is so wonderful to have a treasure like that Lisa!!
Thanks Miss Skippy!!!
1.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I have 3 boys, and if any of them have a girl, I will leave it to them. Otherwise, it''s all going to my nieces. I don''t want it going to a DIL in case they get divorced. I don''t want her to end up with it, it stays in the family.

ditto ellen, and i really really hope i get grandaughters someday....
at least a couple.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, I think that is lovely. An aqua from Nanny will look stunning on beautiful Ash. And it will be all the more special to her.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Hey kaleigh,
POST A PIC OF YOUR GRANDMOTHERS G.P. WATCH ...you are lucky to have a nice quality timepiece from this maker...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a Girrard Pirregaux at an auction, one of those small ovals, white gold, with spray diamonds at 12 and 6 o clock, and a black satin thin double strap. Sold it for more than I paid for it. It was 14K white gold, and I loved it, but it was not my style at all. The diamonds were very white and sparkly though.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don''t have children and I don''t have any family to speak of. Some distant cousins but that''s it. I''m going to sell some of the lesser valued things when I get really old and all of my best diamond pieces are being willed to GIA to be used for teaching and display purposes. I like knowing that people with the same passion might benefit from my donation.

NoID

Rough_Rock
I never thought of this...

And I don''t have much of a jewelry collection...

But most likely my niece...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2008 9:32:41 PM
Author: ~*Alexis*~
I have a few pieces that I inherited from my grandmother (mothers side) and some are costume stuff and a few are cool and I have no idea where she got them. My grandmother has a vintage wedding set that I would love to have, but I am not sure if I should ask for it. She is 75 and her and I have always shared a love of jewelry but I hate bringing up the topic how is it suppose to go?

''...when you croak can I have....?''
32.gif
7.gif
20.gif

It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. However, when my grandmother died when I was 16 she stipulated in the will that all the granddaughters could pick something first. I picked a pendant, lucky for me it was not until after I got back from WI from Arkansas did I realize that it was a sapphire and diamond pendant!! Cheap, but none the less it was my first really nice piece of jewelry. Although a year after her death my grandfather remarried, he was diagnosed with cancer and died (I found out on my 18th birthday). No one in the family told us he died until a week after the funeral had taken place and my moms 4 sisters cleaned out his house and took what they wanted and sold the rest. My mom got almost nothing. Then one of them had the nerve to ask me for the pendant back! Needless to say I told her where she could stick it and where she could rot.
29.gif

I do not have kids at this time (biologically) I have 2 step sons and if we do not have one of our own then I would give them to my future SDIL. But I would write in my will if in the event of a divorce it would be returned to the family. I would haunt them for all eternity if they didn''t. :) But at this moment in time, they are 8 and 6 so I have some time before I decide that.
2.gif
23.gif
Alexis, I am so sorry that you have to deal with these horrible, horrible people! Ugh!
29.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
According to the papers I was just served with, Thing2 thinks she is getting my things when I go...
28.gif

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Daughter, she''s 10 and God help me she is as bad as me. She''s always in one of my jewelry chests trying things on and dressing up.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I don''t have any kids but have a great little niece. However, that niece of mine is artsy and may prove irresponsible with things like jewelry, provided she even has any interest at all in those things.

I have seen a lot of jewelry go missing when people get older, so I better organize things in a good way.

Truth is, I like buying and selling things. I just sold a bunch of stuff at auction and enjoyed it a lot! In the end I think I should reduce my collection to a very few spectacular things and then decide their outcome. I mean if one is going to go, one might as well get what one wants. And if I decide to sell everything off, I can hardly feel guilty for buying it to start with.

Gosh this thread is giving me ideas, and justifications for doing all kinds of fun stuff.
11.gif
11.gif
34.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends on when I die and how many births there are in my family. If I were to go right now then DH wants my wedding bands and engagement rings but not my earrings and other jewellery. Just the sentimental items. He''d give those to my mother.

If my mother isn''t around or DH isn''t around then they''d go to my sister. If my sister has children I''d consider giving anything to her children.

I really have nowhere for anything to go and am not too bothered, I''d be dead so I wouldn''t know the difference.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I think I may have come up with something that might work. Please tell me what you think.

DD gets the aqua ring and Piaget as promised years ago. Normally, I would also give her my e-ring and w-band, but they were stolen
8.gif
and replaced with upgrades. These should go to DD''s daughter (by default?)

DDIL is not really into jewellery much so I think she might enjoy my other 18k and diamond watch. Since she has never really seen my "collection", I don''t think she could choose another piece unless it was a necklace or bracelet.

DS will inherit his Dad''s Rolex Cellini and wedding ring, as well as his stamp, coin and antique pocket watch collections. That''s enough, right?

The rest (whatever I haven''t sold by then) will be appraised; then I will give each grandgirl what I think she''d like, but split the total value down the middle.

Does that sound reasonable and fair? Any other suggestions for an equitable solution?

Btw, DD and DDIL do not get along as well as they could/should, FWIW
38.gif

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had 4 sudden deaths in my life last month (1 person was very dear to me), so I have been thinking about this type of thing a lot lately. I don''t have children and always thought I would split my jewelry between my 3 nieces, but I have decided that I need to include my nephew too. He has been fascinated with my e-ring since I got it, and I don''t think he''d be too pleased with getting my stash of purses!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Isacu5,
Its great that you are trying to be fair in seperating your posessions amoung your family.I see that dear son gets your husbands personal things,but what is he going to recieve from your personal things that belonged to you and that you want him to have as a momento of you.my mom wanted me to have particular items from her estate...jewelry,paintings,pottery that easily could have been inherited by my sisters, but she wanted me to have them.Im glad i have some of her possessions as momentos of her life.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Reading isaku''s post reminded me of when my maternal grandparents passed away and the issue that came up from that. Let''s just say that one sister got their mother''s upgraded ering, which is like 4-5cts., and the other sister wanted the same value in the remaining estate. The sister who got the ring saw it as a piece of the estate, not a % of the value of the estate and there was some bitterness for quite some time over this ring. It''s a difficult thing to deal with. Do you look at what you''re giving to individual people, or do you look at the value of what each person''s getting? I dont have an answer, I''m just thinking aloud...

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 12:01:41 PM
Author: Skippy123
Oh gosh, I don't know; I guess to someone in my family that loves diamonds and gemstones. if not then charity.
Skippy, I've just changed my name to Charity.
9.gif

Seriously, I was thinking about this issue too and was thinking was starting a thread on this. I have two boys, a 2 1/2 years old and a 7 month old. When my gynae announced that my second child was to be a boy during a routine pregnancy scan, the first thing I said to my DH was "what's going to happen to all my jewelry?". I don't want to give them to future DIL unless I like them or if they are keepers. I agree with Ellen that I don't want it out of my family especially if the marriage doesn't work out. I know it is a long long time away but I have do have many pieces of jewelry so I am quite concerned. I am really really hoping that I will get grand daughters say 30 years from now! My DH thinks I'm mad..
9.gif

Some of my girlfriends asked me to try for a daughter so they can inherit my jewelry and purses. However, the odds are not good -- Too much boy genes in my DH's family: my MIL has three sons, her siblings have a total of 7 boys and 4 girls. My DH and I have two boys, my Brother in law has two boys, one of their cousins have 3 boys and 1 girl, another cousin 2 boys and 1 girl... you get the drift. Boys are a dime a dozen and girls are rare precious babies.
20.gif

And oh, in response to my question to DH, my DH simply answered "then stop buying"!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 3:12:57 AM
Isacu5,
Its great that you are trying to be fair in seperating your posessions amoung your family.I see that dear son gets your husbands personal things,but what is he going to recieve from your personal things that belonged to you and that you want him to have as a momento of you.my mom wanted me to have particular items from her estate...jewelry,paintings,pottery that easily could have been inherited by my sisters, but she wanted me to have them.Im glad i have some of her possessions as momentos of her life.
Thanks for pointing that out, jewelerman. I shouldn''t have assumed that our son wouldn''t want any of my pieces. In fact, when I purchased a fab rhodolite garnet ring many many years ago. I said to him (he was about 20 then) that it would be his after I was finished with it. In typical fashion, he shrugged his shoulders and chuckled,.....but he didn''t say, "No thanks" either.
20.gif

So unless I find out that there''s smething else of mine that he''d like, the rhodolite goes to him. What he does with it after that will be up to him.

Excellent point! Thanks again.
36.gif
35.gif

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This post has actually caused me to think a lot.

I''m getting married in Sept, and have 2 "wedding rings" I wanted a plain band, since FI do a lot of biking, running, boating, etc...things that I don''t like to wear diamonds while doing. However, I love the matching wedding band to my e-ring, which is a half eternity band.

FI and I would like 2 children. Assuming that this happens......I decided to use the plain band as my actual wedding band. This way, my e-ring and matching band can stay together when "willing" them off, and my wedding band and (hopeful, future) RHR (with centerstone of a similar but slightly bigger size than my e-ring) can be given to another. Then, each has a peice of sentimental value (wedding band and e-ring) and the value would be about equal...

Of course, these are a lot of what-ifs. I also have some smaller peices (smaller diamond studs, diamond stacking rings) that would be split between potential grandchildren or children.

If we don''t have kids...I''m not sure...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Linda W, as your dd does not show much interest, did I ever tell you how much I LOVE your Padparadschas?
emotion-5.gif

I lucked out that I have 2 daughters, one which has already shown an interest in my jewelry (like I need any more encouragment). I also have a sister and 2 nieces I am close with, so no lack of people to give things to (not that my collection is too valuable). I have already purchased a rubellite garnet for one neice (her birthstone). I purchased 2 small almost matching pink sapphires one for my older daughter and the other for my neice as they are best friends and lovers of all things pink. I will probably split up the expensive (ie. diamond) jewelry between my two daughters but then let my sister pick jewelry and gemstones that she likes.

I feel very touched in that my mother in law recently gave me her mother''s engagement ring setting (I think I''m a keeper!). The stone was lost long ago, so it is a simple 14k ring with white gold prongs. I am so excited though because it has her initials and inscription in it and also that it would be perfect to set a small stone in. My two main ideas is a small color change garnet I have, or that small pink sapphire I got for my daughter.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Surf girl,
You are right ...there can be hurt feelings from seperating a jewelry estate... I was lucky that there wasnt any problems with my siblings ...but i have seperated many estates for people who need a mediater to get through the process BECAUSE THERE WAS NO WILL...i do suggest that the following criteria be used
1-who wants the piece(how many people are in the mix for the more desirable pieces)
2-Are the dollar amounts or worth of the pieces being distributed evenly or does this matter to the people(some states have inheritance laws that need to be considered)
3-Are there other items(art,furniture,cars,property ect)that a person wants over jewelry.
4-who wants the jewelry just to re-sell it and who wants it to stay in the family forever(a big consideration)
5-were there verbal /or written agreement that a person would be recieving a certain piece(written trumps verbal)
6- can the piece/ set be seperated and parted out to many people.
7- are all people in the negotiation present or available by conerance call.
8-ALL decisions should be in writing and signed by the participants.
9- it is possible to make a monetary offer to a relative recieving a piece you want(an estate appraisal is best for this situation)

I also remind people that there are differant types of appraisals 1-retail replacement,2-estate,3-Identification only
the type of appraisal can affect the fair out come of what a person recieves.A 20 year old appraisal really cant be used in a mediation.

Also make sure that all jewelry and art or furniture is identified before its parted out to the family...accusations of fraud and lies have damaged family relationships and even gone to court.

Never assume anything about a piece...I saved/ rescued a beautiful edwardian aquamarine and diamond necklace and a 1920s cameo(about $1,900 value for both) from a costume jewelry pile going to good will. The owner thought they were ugly and so they didnt have value.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Excellent advice again, jewelerman
36.gif
35.gif

I have saved a hard copy for future reference.
1.gif

If I''d known that all this was involved, DH and I would have taken a cruise around the world instead
20.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we told our two daughters to split everything down the middle.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 6:20:13 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
we told our two daughters to split everything down the middle.
Sounds great in theory, but it seldom turns out well.
20.gif

The one good thing about that arrangement is that you and your wife will not be around to witness the turmoil created
38.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
isaku5,
I know its alot of work...ive spent hours up dating appraisals on my own jewelry the last few months and still have alot more to do...its worth it though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results