shape
carat
color
clarity

Who/ where cuts a rough diamond

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
One of my co workers will be travelling back home (indonesia) for Christmas and has been told that there is a rough diamond of approx 4ct??? for her. She doesnt know much more than that. So she asked me about diamond cutters here in PErth, Western Australia. I dont know of any cutter but i do know of diamond polisher that i used and i will contact him tomorrow. But i know there are diamond cutters in USA- eg B Gavin and also Yoram (in Israel?)

My questions are:
1) what is she to ask when she gets this rough?
2) who can she send it to, to get it cut?
3) who will insure this kind of rough diamond when shipping it overseas to where it needs to be cut.

THanx PSers

I am getting her to get some photos/ pictures of it so that i can post it for you guys to look at.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be very very careful traveling with a rough diamond without the proper paperwork can get one arrested pretty much anywhere in the world. One can get arrested on either side of the journey.
Rough diamonds are controlled both by export and import laws in almost all countries.
Then you have to comply with Kimberly protocols.
Importing a one of into the USA or Israel is also pretty much a no go, way to much hassle for no gain.
I want to say that importing it into AU would be just as much hassle but am not aware of their specific laws.

If it is cuttable rough and odds are it will not be and is legally obtained it is better to have it cut in the country of origin and exported as a cut diamond following all legal protocols.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx Karl. I will pass the information on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results