shape
carat
color
clarity

Who went med free during childbirth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''m planning to have no medication during childbirth. To prepare, DH and I are taking Bradley Method birthing classes. We had our first class this past Sunday and as part of our first homework assignment we need to interview others who''ve gone through natural labor. Does anyone want to help us out? I don''t think we know anyone in person who''s gone natural judging by the reactions we''ve gotten when we''ve told people that that''s what we plan to do.

The questions:

1. Write down at least 5 statements YOU currently and absolutely believe to be true about birth. Close your eyes and write what comes to mind. Don''t worry about whether what you write is the right answer - go with your gut. These statements will be unique to YOU.
I believe birth is...

2. Give 5 statements that name your qualities and assets as the laboring woman or coach. When I picture myself, or think of myself during labor I am:

DH is supposed to get the coach''s perspective so if you can get any of your DHs to answer, that would be a big help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to do this!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 7:40:22 PM
Author:robbie3982
I''m planning to have no medication during childbirth. To prepare, DH and I are taking Bradley Method birthing classes. We had our first class this past Sunday and as part of our first homework assignment we need to interview others who''ve gone through natural labor. Does anyone want to help us out? I don''t think we know anyone in person who''s gone natural judging by the reactions we''ve gotten when we''ve told people that that''s what we plan to do.

The questions:

1. Write down at least 5 statements YOU currently and absolutely believe to be true about birth. Close your eyes and write what comes to mind. Don''t worry about whether what you write is the right answer - go with your gut. These statements will be unique to YOU.
I believe birth is...

2. Give 5 statements that name your qualities and assets as the laboring woman or coach. When I picture myself, or think of myself during labor I am:

DH is supposed to get the coach''s perspective so if you can get any of your DHs to answer, that would be a big help.

Haven''t had bambino''s but this is the first thing that pops into my head.

I believe birth is...
1. Beautiful
2. Messy
3. Scary
4. Painful
5. Amazing
1. Calm
2. Strong
3. Willing
4. Prepared
5. Faithful

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Robbie - I did not go natural when I had James, but I did wait until I was 7cm and in deep back labor before I got an epi. I''ll play along though ....

5 things I belive about birth:

1. It is natural
2. It is beautiful
3. It is powerful
4. It is exhilarating
5. It feels good (really!)

During labor I am....

1. Breathing through my contractions
2. Relaxing in between my contractions
3. Visualizing my cervix opening to allow the baby through
4. Focusing on an object/thought when pushing
5. Pushing with my bottom and not my face

I hope this is what you were looking for!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
DH''s responses -

5 things he believes about birth:

1. It is beautiful
2. It''s an unforgettable experience with your spouse/SO
3. Powerful moment when the baby arrives
4. Emotional and magical
5. Amazing

What he was doing while I was in labor:

1. Holding my leg back
2. Helped me focus on my breathing
3. Helped me stay calm and stayed calm himself
4. Staying in control of his own emotions while I labored/delivered the baby
5. Comforted me after delivering

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 7:40:22 PM
Author:robbie3982

The questions:

I believe birth is...

Okay, I''ll join in... I went med-free completely for my first, and for the second the contractions were stronger so I had gas. Making the decision to have gas is a little distracting, though...and after a while it starts to make you really tired so you have to give it away...

I believe birth is...

1. a time for drawing on quiet inner strength

2. an exercise in focusing your mind to stay on top of the contractions

3. an experience that opens your heart, mind and body to the suffering and experiences of women the world over, many of whom do it ''the natural way'' without any choice whatsoever

4. requires strength and endurance of heart, mind and body

5. can be unpredictable, and therefore requires a sense of flexibility (for best medical outcome)

1. keeping quiet, so as to focus my mind on relaxing, staying mentally n top of the contractions (until pushing / crowning stage!!)

2. moving around the room, stretching out the contractions by dangling ''necklace style'' from my husband''s neck

3. actively moving, walking etc and not allowing the contractions to slow (this can be a little hard, it is easy to want to curl up into a ball!)

4. mentally positive and secure that I can do it!

5. confident in my body''s ability to give life, to birth naturally and to recover fully afterwards.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
After 31 hours of prolonged natural labor with the baby''s nose rubbing against my spine the entire time...

1. Painful
2. Scary
3. Not like it is on TV or Lamaze movies
4. Painful
5. Did I mention painful?

I ended up with an emergency C-Section. This after a 190lb. nurse straddled my body and pushed hard on my stomach, and two entire bottles of Pytocin were endured.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh, PP! You''re meant to think of how BRAVE you are, not how scared you are!!!
3.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I believe birth is...
1. The most amazing experience of my life
2. A natural part of life
3. Scary
4. Fun enough to do again
5. Hard to remember after it’s over

When I picture myself, or think of myself during labor I am:
1. Supportive
2. Helpful
3. Available
4. Calming
5. Happy

PS I had a completely natural childbirth. I labored a lot at home (not on my back in the hospital). Once at the hospital I went through the later stages of labor quickly and since I had very little pain I didn''t ask for anything. Recovery was super speeedy. I wish you the best of luck with your delivery.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I started out natural with my daughter. She was posterior, and I stopped dialating at 6cm, but she kept jamming into my sacrum bone. The back labor was so painful. I told my husband that I either needed pain meds. or that they should just "shoot me and put me out of my misery" They gave me nubane (sp?) and then an epi. After that, I couldn''t feel a thing, and she came out posterior too. With #2 I was induced. By the end, it all wore off, and I definitely felt him come into the world. I''m not going to lie. It hurt!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
. Write down at least 5 statements YOU currently and absolutely believe to be true about birth. Close your eyes and write what comes to mind. Don't worry about whether what you write is the right answer - go with your gut. These statements will be unique to YOU.
I believe birth is...
1. A natural process
2.Women's bodies are usually designed to do this
3. Labour in every sense of the word
4.Surreal
5.Amazing

1.Strong
2.Focused
3.Opening
4.Making my body do the job is was intended to do
5.An endurance athlete
I had a natural labour with my daughter. Not by intention she just came so quick and was posterior. Oh heck! I'm glad I had the experience though

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Two out of my three births were med free.

I believe birth is...
1. Painful
2. Quick (my labors were pretty fast)
3. Messy and gross
4. Weird
5. Intense

1. Strong
2. Whiny
3. Nervous
4. Happy
5. Capable

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Robbie--interesting. These are my thoughts, just off the top of my head without over thinking it too much...

I believe birth is...
1. Something meant to be experienced
2. empowering
3. most frightening when it is not understood or supported
4. grounded in nature, hard to articulate, impossible to duplicate
5. to be respected

1. open
2. focused
3. remaining calm
4. identifying with other women ( i remember repeating over and over during labor "many women have survived this before me.." and it comforted me somehow)
5. responding to encouragement (although occasionally with a curse word or two
3.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 11:25:20 PM
Author: iluvcarats
I started out natural with my daughter. She was posterior, and I stopped dialating at 6cm, but she kept jamming into my sacrum bone. The back labor was so painful. I told my husband that I either needed pain meds. or that they should just ''shoot me and put me out of my misery'' They gave me nubane (sp?) and then an epi. After that, I couldn''t feel a thing, and she came out posterior too. With #2 I was induced. By the end, it all wore off, and I definitely felt him come into the world. I''m not going to lie. It hurt!

Now I have time to properly answer your question.
I believe birth is
1. Amazing
2. Natural
3. Painful
4. Self discovery
5. Delayed gratification

When I picture myself during labor I am
1. Focused
2. Calm
3. Quiet
4. Strong
5. Controlled

BTW: My Sam was born on July 5th!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t given birth but wanted to pop in and say hi Robbie!!!!
35.gif
COngrats in your pregnancy and best wishes!!!
9.gif

Hi Jas! What a gorgeous baby in your avatar!!! Congrats!!!!!

M~

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Robbie, I sent your survey to my three friends who recently had natural births.

Here is the response from my first friend. She was 30 years old when she had her daughter 6 months ago in hospital without medication. She laboured at home for five hours then went to the hospital when active labour started, and laboured there for three more hours. Pushed for about one hour. She had no episiotomy, only small tears. Her daughter was 3 weeks early and weighed 7lbs 6oz.

"I believe birth is..."
1. an experience I''m blessed to have had in my life
2. something I wasn''t quite prepared for, regardless of all the reading etc. but used knowledge from my life experience to respond to the different challenges that came up
3. hard physical work
4. a lot of mental work
5. a natural process that is unique to each person

"When I picture myself, or think of myself during labor I am":
1. feeling like i''m working and making progress
2. supported by my husband, nurse, and doctor (DH didn''t leave except to get water--I made him look at me a lot)
3. safe and hydrated
4. not pressured to move unless necessary or I want to--not annoyed by people around me
5. in cozy clothes and eventually naked!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My second friend was 28 when she had her second child. She had a midwife attended natural birth in the hospital. Labour was 12 hours with 4 hours of active labour. Her son was two weeks early and weighed 7lbs 8oz.

"I believe birth is..."
1. natural
2. miraculous
3. painful
4. creepy (especially when you look at the pictures later)
5. an awesome experience
1. strong
2. capable
3. sweaty
4. powerful
5. blessed

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started out natural and even went the midwife route, however, after being put on pitocin and my son being posterior, after around 6-8 hours of labor (who knows!), I asked for an injection of painkiller. That only lasted an hour and then I was given an epi and pushed for a total of 3.5 hours and ended up with a c/s because my son never budged.

My second was a scheduled repeat c/s.

I know of three gals who had natural births. Two of them decided never to have a second child (lol) and the other was my friend who went into labor so quickly, there wasn't time for an epi. She was entirely fine with it and acted like it was no big deal!

ETA - sorry I didn't answer the 1-5 questions. . .

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
My mom had me and my sisters (identical twins) vaginally with no medication (and it took 18 hours for me to come out!). I plan to do the same when/if I have children. She had no regrets about it (obviously, since she did it twice!)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
During my labor, I wanted an epidural, but I still had a lot of pain, a very long labor, and it was a completely traumatizing experience that ended with the baby being assisted out with the vacuum extractor. I didn''t want Pitocin, but my water broke & I never went into labor, so they had to induce me to get the baby out (he needed to come out within 24 hours of the water breaking in order to avoid infection).

I recently saw Ricki Lake''s documentary "The Business of Being Born", and while I would never want a home birth, I would like to try natural childbirth/water birth the next time around (we''re trying to get pregnant with our second child now). In northern VA, where I live, INOVA Loudon Hospital''s maternity building is called "The Birthing Inn", and it seems like it''s the best of both worlds. You can use a midwife, but the birthing center is on the hospital grounds, and all of the birthing rooms have whilrpool baths. Tey encourage a natural, holistic birth experience - however, in the case of medical complications, there are surgical suites in the birthing center and obstetricians on call, so in the case of an emergency, you can get a c-section if you need one.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I went through a drug free natural childbirth less than 5 months ago. Here are my answers -

5 statements YOU currently and absolutely believe to be true about birth.

I believe birth is...
1. the most amazing thing I've ever done
2. empowering. it's an out of body experience, you have no idea what your body is capable of doing
3. hard work
4. unpredictable so be flexible
5. painful

When I picture myself, or think of myself during labor I am:
1. using the Hee-Hee-Hoo breathing technique while looking at a focal point
2. staying positive, repeating to myself, "I CAN do this!" and "It's almost over!"
3. trying to rest during the little breaks between contractions and pushes
4. trying to push in many different positions
5. concentrating on pushing - butt up, push into the pain, quick breath out, deep breath in, and hold my breath but don't hold tension in face, push like I'm having a bowel movement

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My third friend gave birth about 3 weeks ago to her daughter after 50 hours of labour. Birthed at home attended by midwives.

"I believe birth is..."
1. a natural process. An experience best served by allowing and supporting the natural process as much as possible (ie refraining from unnecessary interventions)
2. a transformative, empowering experience (for me)
3. immensely powerful experience, that requires surrender and trust on part of the mother
4. an experience to embrace and be fully present for
5. birth, when empowered, has the potential to be a great gift to ourselves and our newborn (the way they are brought into the world)
1. I am positive (I think positively through affirmation and visualization and I trust in a positive outcome)
2. Giving birth is hard work and it hurts but I CAN DO IT!
3. I am in a state of calm
4. I trust my body
5. I am stronger than I ever thought possible

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results