color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wear them. It does honor to its former life <3

Thanks for that, @PreRaphaelite.
I have a love/hate relationship with items like this. Ivory, tortoise, jewelry made from butterfly wings, shagreen, etc.
I once bought a Kelly bag that was a strange kind of hide, which turned out to be sea turtle. So sometimes this kind of stuff is icky.
But I want to love the ivory!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the new pieces @stracci2000 and I would wear the ivory but maybe not to a PETA convention or something like that!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Goodwill, a 1940's sterling bow brooch, heavy at 15 grams. $2.99.
And from another shop, a sweet Sterling locket, probably from the 1980's.
The best find was from yesterday, a Brahmin wallet, perfect condition for 70 cents!
IMG_20200221_203340.jpg IMG_20200221_220922677.jpg
IMG_20200221_221326391.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 , yes wear them. They are vintage. I have some ivory beads too and have gone through that dilemma...but it’s no better then just sitting in my jewelry box.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a haul to share, but was able to take a peek at an estate sale in the area today. This handmade quilt was made in 1867 and passed through the generations, shame it won't continue staying in the family.

20200216_123422.jpg

A baby boot cast in bronze?
20200216_124033.jpg

And because I got married recently, I still love things with wedding dresses.

20200216_123500.jpg

I’m in the Bay Area (South Bay) and have never been to an estate sale. Maybe a garage sale or two but I would love to go if you know of any. Maybe we can meet up!

It doesn’t seem like the Goodwill’s around here have any decent jewelry.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I think I caught something when I went to the doctor on Friday, there were several people with masks on! I never go to the doctor and now I know why!

You have one of those jewelry box/caskets right?

Happy bday! You find the most amazing things. Love that box! Do you have a big house to display all of your finds?

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Is buying jewelry to place in my Victorian caskets going too far??

I bought this broken vintage sterling locket with a tiny diamond. The clasp won't shut:
20200222_124541.jpg

But it looks lovely in my box:
20200222_124500.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is buying jewelry to place in my Victorian caskets going to far??

I bought this broken vintage sterling locket with a tiny diamond. The clasp won't shut:
20200222_124541.jpg

But it looks lovely in my box:
20200222_124500.jpg

That's what you're supposed to do!
Buy antique jewels to put into your antique box. It just makes good sense.:razz:
And both of these things are TDF!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I’m in the Bay Area (South Bay) and have never been to an estate sale. Maybe a garage sale or two but I would love to go if you know of any. Maybe we can meet up!

It doesn’t seem like the Goodwill’s around here have any decent jewelry.

That would be wonderful! My husband groans everytime I tell him about a new estate sale I want to go to. I sign up for alerts on estatesale.org. We should also do alameda antiques fair, that's every month and always fun (and good exercise!) I'm on loupetroop with the same username, you can reach me through email on there. The second hand stores in the peninsula are no good, I've gone a few times just to see but never walk out with anything but books.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy bday! You find the most amazing things. Love that box! Do you have a big house to display all of your finds?

Oh thank you so much!

No big house, my house is a modest 1200 square foot ranch but I have a little room for my special things. :D

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out this vintage Warner rhinestone cat brooch, this was a Mercari find. Love this color! I'll take some sun pictures tomorrow.

IMG_7707.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 , yes wear them. They are vintage. I have some ivory beads too and have gone through that dilemma...but it’s no better then just sitting in my jewelry box.

OK, I'm gonna wear them. They are rather short, so they will work with nearly every neckline.
Check out this vintage Warner rhinestone cat brooch, this was a Mercari find. Love this color! I'll take some sun pictures tomorrow.

IMG_7707.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

Pretty! The ears are pear shapes--so sweet!
Young lady, you need to pin this on your coat right now!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today we went to the flea market! All the Mickey Mouse stuff plus the pair of AB earrings $15. The lavender rhinestone pin and one matching earring was $3 and is marked Kramer NY!

The graduated four strand AB necklace and three strand bracelet were $12 and the two pair of screwback earrings (blue and red) were $7, I probably overpaid on those but it's hard for me to find decent screwback or clip earrings since my ears aren't pierced!

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7716.JPG

IMG_7718.JPG IMG_7720.JPG

IMG_7721.JPG IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7723.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7715.JPG
    IMG_7715.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 35

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here is a better pic of the cat brooch from yesterday and an outdoor shot of the Kramer....now what to do with that lone earring?

IMG_7719.JPG

IMG_7724.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo!
Sparklies!
They are all so nice. I just adore vintage pins.
(I just can't get used to the word "brooch")
Anyway, That Kramer pin is fab!
About the lone earring---This one is hard.
Maybe you could use it as an accent on a scarf or hat?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I found a gold locket!
Thrift store, 10k. I had to have it, and a bargain at $40.
It is in great condition.
IMG_20200224_211156.jpg
IMG_20200224_215431.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice locket! It looks very similar to one my first boyfriend gave me 23 years ago lol!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!!! This is making me want to start a locket collection

Nice locket! It looks very similar to one my first boyfriend gave me 23 years ago lol!
Thanks @Ontheblackrock15 !
@StephanieLynn .....My question is-------do you still have it? And if you did, would your DH care?

I had many lockets as a kid, all costume jewelry. So now I am suddenly coming across sterling and gold lockets. I cannot pass them up!
They are always so much fun. They have a working hinge, and moving parts, which is amusing to me.
And what could be in there? They are mysterious. I love anything that is interesting and makes me curious!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I had it up until a few years ago when we cleaned out our attic, I think it might have gotten tossed along with one of only two (and my favorite) pictures from my high school graduation. Sad! If I still had it the Husband wouldn't care, he's not the jealous type.

Lockers are so fun, I feel the way you do about lockets with jewelry boxes. One I found that had a rattle did have something inside so it's always fun to check them out.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I had it up until a few years ago when we cleaned out our attic, I think it might have gotten tossed along with one of only two (and my favorite) pictures from my high school graduation. Sad! If I still had it the Husband wouldn't care, he's not the jealous type.

Lockers are so fun, I feel the way you do about lockets with jewelry boxes. One I found that had a rattle did have something inside so it's always fun to check them out.

Oh, too bad you don't have it anymore! But I'm glad your DH isn't jealous. Mine isn't either.
I think it would be hard living with a jealous husband.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I agree, who wants to deal with jealousy for the rest of your life....no thanks.

So a bit of news I'm just going to bury here, I have a job! I don't know how permanent it is but my neighbor's dad owns a property management company and he hired me to do administrative work! Today was my third day, so far so good. It seems like it might be feast or famine though depending on what projects they have going on but I figure I will work as much as I can for as long as they need me. He started me at $20 an hour too!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I agree, who wants to deal with jealousy for the rest of your life....no thanks.

So a bit of news I'm just going to bury here, I have a job! I don't know how permanent it is but my neighbor's dad owns a property management company and he hired me to do administrative work! Today was my third day, so far so good. It seems like it might be feast or famine though depending on what projects they have going on but I figure I will work as much as I can for as long as they need me. He started me at $20 an hour too!

Yay! Great news!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great news, @StephanieLynn! Sounds like a nice opportunity. Now all you have to do is make sure you don't use all of your new found wealth to buy more jewelry. Or maybe you do! :D

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats on your job! I hope you spend it at some thrift stores at least to keep this thread going. I love seeing your latest finds.

When I was about 8yo a friend of mine and I used to go door to door in the neighborhood asking if they had any ‘junk’. We would come home with loads of costume jewelry, key chains, and other trinkets. One old lady named “Mrs. Fairy” (really!) used to invite us in for cookies and would always find something we could take home. Good memories of collecting ‘junk’ back when it was safe for little girls to do such a thing!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a thing for little trinket boxes , trays and glass dishes. I found this little Wedgewood heart shaped trinket at an antique mall last weekend.
20200304_050227.jpg 20200304_050757.jpg
I love Wedgwood Jasperware! I have quite a few of the trinket boxes and small dishes. Nice find! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results