shape
carat
color
clarity

Who to trust with small projects, when you have big OCD about the work?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I’m really relieved to know I’m not the only one who had poor communication with Sako. I’ll be blunt then…the workmanship was great, but the process was a struggle. Reluctance to make CAD tweaks, had to pay for every one (which is fine, but wasn’t communicated so final pricing was a mystery) in addition to being recipient of obvious frustration for making changes at all

It got so bad and unprofessional, I would never work with him again. I shared that I was struggling with communications on PS mid project (huge mistake) and someone “tattled” on me and he totally blew up at me while refusing to even read what I posted, which was pretty benign. I since deleted the whole thread bc of how traumatic it was.

He seems to work very well with certain people on PS. He can be funny and playful, but frankly I don’t care about that and want strictly professional communications

Oh I hate that! It makes it so hard to have even reviews on PS if people get shade for their real experiences, even if negative.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I agree with every word.
He made one CAD.... when I expressed my concerns, he dismissed them. When he finally sent me his pictures I expressed the same concerns... he said that it wouldn't be visible IRL. Guess what it was visible and all my concerns were valid. In the very end he turned it on me and made it all my fault. How charming.

Outside of all the design flaws, his workmanship was sloppy. Not what I expected after reading all the glowing reviews here.

RE price, he wouldn't quote me... I got my bill when he was readying to ship my ring and it was A LOT more than I expected. I kicked myself for not insisting on his quote prior to starting my project.

So much money down the drain.... plus a terrible taste in my mouth.

I’m so sorry that happened. It honestly boggles my mind to have been treated that way. My husband was livid about all of it and he doesn’t give a hoot about my projects but I was so upset. He read all of the IG chat and was so furious he wanted to cancel but it was 2 weeks before our wedding. I felt like I was being gaslit, and paying for it! And I felt crazier yet that I seemed to be the only one who’d ever had a problem!

Anyways, I won’t derail this thread further. But I feel reassured that you shared. So thank you

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry that happened. It honestly boggles my mind to have been treated that way. My husband was livid about all of it and he doesn’t give a hoot about my projects but I was so upset. He read all of the IG chat and was so furious he wanted to cancel but it was 2 weeks before our wedding. I felt like I was being gaslit, and paying for it! And I felt crazier yet that I seemed to be the only one who’d ever had a problem!

Anyways, I won’t derail this thread further. But I feel reassured that you shared. So thank you

Gosh guys I am sorry that happened to both of you, sounds awful. I have also heard that he charges for every CAD which seems nuts to me and that you often don't know the final price until the end (also nuts). He is an artist more than a businessperson I suppose; I find that many ppl in the jewelry biz can be awkward like this. Once I brought it up to my husband bc my local jewelry was gruff and not so nice at times; he said that they are like academics which are often nerdy, have large egos, and aren't great at social skills. (I am in Academia so I can attest to this!!!)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It got so bad and unprofessional, I would never work with him again. I shared that I was struggling with communications on PS mid project (huge mistake) and someone “tattled” on me and he totally blew up at me while refusing to even read what I posted, which was pretty benign. I since deleted the whole thread bc of how traumatic it was.

This in particular is bloody bonkers.

My experiences below

DK - not ideal, lots of rework needed... wonky bezels, not matching prongs, and most importantly lack of attention to detail. I have a few pieces by him. I usually wear the pieces for a short while and then either sell or end up re-doing them with other vendors.
Didn't learn my lesson and sent two super small projects to him before the holidays...and back they went. I'm still waiting for him to correct.
This will be my last time working with him, unfortunately

OWD bench - not bad, but not high-end

Sako - scattered communication and he does get annoyed with his clients and it shows. He messed up my engagement ring. Not perfect workmanship by any means.. it seemed very much like he just threw it together and didn't care.
He refused to correct it. After a long back and forth about it he asked me to pay for shipping back to him. I didn't bother..

CVB - amazing workmanship, her communication style is not the best and the wait time is veryy long.

This is exactly why I agonized over who to consider for my emmy project. They all have their pros and cons. It feels like it's mostly luck that everything turns out ok. Bah. Maybe I will just start sending all my stuff to my old jeweler who's out-of-state but has never disappointed me....so far.

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
This is exactly why I agonized over who to consider for my emmy project. They all have their pros and cons. It feels like it's mostly luck that everything turns out ok. Bah. Maybe I will just start sending all my stuff to my old jeweler who's out-of-state but has never disappointed me....so far.

There's a lot about luck here for sure. If you have a trusted jeweler I'd go with them. If not, I'd go with the ones that are at least not going to mess it up.... like CVB or VC. It's going to take long and and will be expensive but at least you will get heirloom quality.
I mean it depends on a project obviously... some projects are for fun and I'm willing to take my chances..

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a lot about luck here for sure. If you have a trusted jeweler I'd go with them. If not, I'd go with the ones that are at least not going to mess it up.... like CVB or VC. It's going to take long and and will be expensive but at least you will get heirloom quality.
I mean it depends on a project obviously... some projects are for fun and I'm willing to take my chances..

From what I understand and from my own experience, Sako is (one of?) CvB's bench.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I understand and from my own experience, Sako is (one of?) CvB's bench.

Caysie will send some projects to Sako when she feels he’s the right eye for the job. He’s not her primary bench or anything like that though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results