shape
carat
color
clarity

Who to tip and how much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I think the whole tipping culture should not stray to far from the fact it actually about rewarding good service with an equal amount of generosity.

In Australia I will always tip at a restaurant; how much depends on the service. I''ll let a taxi driver keep the change etc.

Strangely (of late), I always pay for the meal, regardless of who I am with or on what occasion? I paid for lunch today. I shared a meal with a woman who earns a zero more then I do and I was glad that she let me!

I take pleasure in paying. I absolutely hate splitting bills. It just seems wrong to haggle with your guests. I was going out with a Lebanese girls for 5 years and it was always a fight who would pay first and I usually lost out, so paying, for me, is a victory
25.gif

The Russians are definitely the best example of generosity that I have seen and they never tip – they will chase you down the road because you overpaid them. Even the children are not greedy, and people learn generosity from generous examples. I was staying there and teaching English and I threw a current problem to a class of 14 y/olds, regarding a guy who was staying with us and extracting what he could. I asked them ''what would you do if somebody was staying at your dacha (holiday house) and never bring food etc, and they went quiet for an age - one of them explained that he should be looked after as he probably had no means and would provide what he could when he had the opportunity. My Russian girlfriend had another take on that, as she had travelled. She said, (regarding me) the Russians will be used as usual, and eventually learn how things go with Westerners.

Tipping is not an accurate way to pay people for good service, but it allows service workers the chance to be paid more for better service, but it can be exploited.

Jasonsmom, just be generous and don''t feel compelled to pay more then you want, because if you are being bullied you are definitely not paying the right person. If you honestly felt the people you mentioned deserved more then there is a lesson to be learned, though I am sure they were fine with what they got. The good thing about money is that you spend it any way you like.

I like your quote BTW

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
yikes!! i am horrible horrible when it comes to tipping!i never know what is ''too much'' or ''too little''!! back here in bahrain, there is no such thing as ''tipping required''...there isn''t a certain % of the bill that should be paid as a tip..so u can imagine my dilemma when im visiting other countries where it is customary to tip! i have learned the hard way though thru my sister who has spent most of her life in the states..when we used to go out for meals and id pick up the tab, id usually put the same amount of ''tip'' i would back home...then id turn back and see my sister adding a few extra dollars to the amount...it happened a few times until i realized why she was doing that! i was so embaressed
20.gif

in bahrain, we usually tip in restaurants, hair dressers and hotels (valet parking, etc...)...but thats it...and the amount varies from person to person to be honest and how generous u are...

this tipping business! so confusing..

i agree with irisheyes though..i hate that little dotted line when u pay by card that says ''tip-extra:.......'' its like u *have* to put something there otherwise i feel like im taking something away from them if i dont!
7.gif

wish there was a little machine that u punch in the amount and place, and it tells u how much tip to leave!!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I usually use the calculator on my cell phone to figure out the exact amount I need to leave!

I noticed many places in Europe don''t require tipping, although I always forget where, so everytime I go I feel all self-conscious when I''m leaving a restaurant - did I tip ok?? was I supposed to tip? etc.

I like to ask most places there, most of them are honest and will tell you what is customary. Only a small minority will lie and say "sure! I accept tips!" when they usually don''t and just want some extra cash.

LOL, a few years ago I was in Frankfurt Germany with my husband. One night we went to this really nice restaurant, great food, great wine, fantastic service - the waitress was so friendly, she spoke hardly any english, but tried so hard!! The bill was like 200 euro or something. Dh and I wanted to leave her 50 euro for tip or something like that. so she brings us our change after we payed and we layed down the 50 euro on the change tray and got up to leave. She looked shocked and ran up to us with our money! She tried to say we forgot it, I was trying to explain to her that it''s hers to keep, that it was a tip. She was still confused and says "tip?" I started to realize at this point that the restaurant apparently didn''t do that and that she wasn''t used to being tipped, but I felt bad that I was trying to give her this money - I couldn''t just take it back! So I made her take it, she was smiling from ear to ear!! When we left, Dh is like "nice job honey, we could''ve kept that 50!!" While true, I was glad that I gave her something she wasn''t used to getting and made a great night for her, as she did for us....
1.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 1:48:33 AM
Author: sjz
I''ve never stiffed a waiter or waitress, either. Once or twice I''ve left an obviously small tip when I''ve had really really bad service...like they were rude or got the orders way mixed up. I felt like that was leaving a much bigger message than leaving no tip at all. No tip, and they could have called me the shmuck for stiffing them. Fifty cents showed them exacly what their service was worth
11.gif
Most of the time, however, I''m a very generous tipper in restaurants. I even usually tip at buffets when they have someone who comes to clear away the used plates...and yessssss...I do go to buffets...lol! I have two kids whose like totally opposite things. Sometimes the only way to please them both is to go to the Home Town Buffet (where I usually eat way too much food
18.gif
)
Do you really think thats true? Obviously.. there are times as a server when I KNOW I did a crappy job, or that my customers just HATED me, for whatever reason. When I get a small tip then, the reason is fairly clear..but often times I will get tables that I don''t think they like me, or I thought I did not a good job.. but then they''ll leave a good or at least decent tip..

but there are also times.. where people leave crappy tips and its obvious that they are either 1)cheap cheap cheap or 2)obviously just DO NOT UNDERSTAND how to tip.

So I think it doesn''t send a message at all.. Like that article said.. complain to management..it will accomplish MUCH more, and the server will definitely get the message.. skimp a bit on the tip if you want.. but remember... I''m making less than $4 an hour with out a tip.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 12:08:05 PM
Author: MelissaSue

Date: 8/16/2005 1:48:33 AM
Author: sjz
I''ve never stiffed a waiter or waitress, either. Once or twice I''ve left an obviously small tip when I''ve had really really bad service...like they were rude or got the orders way mixed up. I felt like that was leaving a much bigger message than leaving no tip at all. No tip, and they could have called me the shmuck for stiffing them. Fifty cents showed them exacly what their service was worth
11.gif
Most of the time, however, I''m a very generous tipper in restaurants. I even usually tip at buffets when they have someone who comes to clear away the used plates...and yessssss...I do go to buffets...lol! I have two kids whose like totally opposite things. Sometimes the only way to please them both is to go to the Home Town Buffet (where I usually eat way too much food
18.gif
)
Do you really think thats true? Obviously.. there are times as a server when I KNOW I did a crappy job, or that my customers just HATED me, for whatever reason. When I get a small tip then, the reason is fairly clear..but often times I will get tables that I don''t think they like me, or I thought I did not a good job.. but then they''ll leave a good or at least decent tip..

but there are also times.. where people leave crappy tips and its obvious that they are either 1)cheap cheap cheap or 2)obviously just DO NOT UNDERSTAND how to tip.

So I think it doesn''t send a message at all.. Like that article said.. complain to management..it will accomplish MUCH more, and the server will definitely get the message.. skimp a bit on the tip if you want.. but remember... I''m making less than $4 an hour with out a tip.
Yes, I actually do think that''s true. Most people know the rules when it comes to tipping in a restaurant. The tip is usually calculated based on the cost of the meal, not usually on the level of service from the waiter or waitress is it not? MOST OF THE TIME, I leave the standard 20% tip. Once in a while, if I feel that the service was EXEPTIONALLY good, or that the job was particularly more difficult or complicated (like a large party, or a group with a lot of children, or several "special orders") I will even leave a little extra. I honestly almost never leave a smaller than 20% tip, because I do understand that the salary of waiters and waitresses is largely built on tips. That being said, I expect them to work for their tips. Isn''t it their job to be courteous, effecient, get my order correct, refill my water glass, make sure that I have enough napkins, offer me a refill on bread or beverages, and generally "take care of me"? If they do their job, they get the tip. Leaving no tip at all is just not an option for me. I think that shows a lack of class on my part. It''s expected for there to be some sort of tip. That''s why I think leaving an obviously small tip is better than leaving no tip. At least the waitress won''t be able to accuse me of stiffing her.

If I had a waitress be totally out of line rude, or grossly inept, I probably would complain to the management. I think that most really good waitresses for the most part make good tips. At least that''s what all my friends who used to be waitresses would tell me. I wouldn''t know first hand, though. My job related experiences were either in retail or health care, and I never got any tips. Had to deal with many many rude and difficult customers and patients, and do it with a smile on my face. Once in a while, I''d get a pinch on the bum from some dirty old man for my trouble, but no tips
20.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just looked up what the acronym TIPS means:

TIPS= To Improve Performance Standards

so where do we draw the line? do you tip the person who comes into your home to clean the carpet? they spend more time making you happy then the person who delivers your flowers or pizza.....what about the McDonalds worker? If Starbucks employees expect a tip for getting your coffee, shouldn''t McD employees get tips too? I''m still confused.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
OK, tipping...I tip waiters/bar tenders (good 20% or more, bad 15%), hair stylists (20%), shampoo people ($3), spa services (20%, more at holidays), valet ($3), cab drivers (couple bucks for an inner city quick cab ride, like $5-8 from my house to the airport, depending on bags), bellhops ($2/bag), curb side checkin at the airports ($2/bag, more if super heavy), the house keeper (an extra $10 every time, more at holidays), hotel maids (depends on how nice the hotel is) and I think thats really it? Teachers we'd get gifts for during the holidays, but that was only in k-8, not in high school. We also gave our bus drivers for k-8 gifts. Garbage men, post men we give a check at the holiday, i dont know if thats a gift or a tip?

I get annoyed when I see tip boxes at starbucks because they're expensive anyway, but occasionally toss my change in there if I dont want to carry it around. I know there have been a couple other places that I've been like what?! you're asking for tips, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 10:01:22 AM
Author: IrishEyes

I noticed many places in Europe don''t require tipping, although I always forget where, so everytime I go I feel all self-conscious when I''m leaving a restaurant - did I tip ok?? was I supposed to tip? etc.
When I lived in Italy and France we didnt really tip...waiters get paid more there, its not like in the US. Sometimes we wouldnt tip at all, and if we did, the percentage was much less. Now, we did get to be regulars at certain places and they''d treat us well, so we''d tip them more and regularly as a thank you for the perks kind of thing. It was more like you left a couple euro on the table if you had some.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Tipping hotel housekeeping is not required, but is greatly appreciated. Whomever that person in the industry is that F&I spoke with, she/he probably is not the one cleaning the rooms. My mom used to work at the Fairmont, she had to clean 14 rooms a day. It''s hard, hard work, and the pay is crap. And many people use a stay at a hotel to live like pigs.

Regarding restaurant tipping, I totally agree with Melissa Sue. I once received a less than 15% tip on an enourmous tab, and the table LOVED me, gave me their business cards and offered to write me a letter of rec to Stanford. The person to paid the bill was just a crappy tipper.

I always tip my mailperson, and my paper guy. They''ve been our deliverers for a very long time, we give them an envelope during the holidays. I also always tip the guys who wash my car at the carwash, the pizza delivery guy, and the flower delivery guy.

I used to be really poor, and now I''m not. I tip well, because I remember what it was like to have a minimum wage job. I also continue to have moments when I am just stunned by how not-poor we are now, so I try to spread the love.
1.gif
But I rarely tip at Starbucks (I rarely go to Starbucks, who needs to learn a different language just to order some coffee!).

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2005 5:38:30 PM
Author: fire&ice
Yeah, I think tipping ''maids'' are a bit of a thing of the past.

Dang, I have to rethink this groomer thing. I pay between 45-65 per dog. At the places I take the dogs, it''s part of a bigger facility (day care/boarding). The groomer usually isn''t there. I feel really bad. She''s been grooming my dogs for years and years. I''ve never got the impression she felt slighted.

O.K. F&I feelin really bad..
39.gif
39.gif
I think I am going to have to talk to her.

I tip my pet groomer. I usually take my dog to Petsmart once a month and it cost about $62, so I give her $10 to $12.
No one has ever told me to do it, but I figured that she has the dog for at least 3 to 4 hours and she does such a nice job on him, plus, I don''t know if she gets paid by the hour, or a flat fee per dog, etc.

Also, she doesn''t own the place, she just works there, so I am pretty sure that $62 that I pay Petsmart doesn''t all go to her pocket.
2.gif

My husband on the otherhand tells me to either not give her anything or give her less of a tip. When he goes to pick up the dog, I have to question him if he tipped her or not and usually it''s not, so I try to make up the tip at the next visit!
9.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
In some countries, it''s not the norm to leave a tip. I tried leaving tips for the waiters in Hong Kong and China and they refused it. They were shocked I was giving them extra money. I actually had to push them to take the tip, which I felt they very much deserved.

When I go out to eat, I just usally double the tax. The tax where I live is 8.5% so double would make it 17%. If they provided exceptional service, I would go higher. I like to play this game whenever I go out and eat with the percentage for tipping. If the server did something beyond my expectations, I go up another 1-5% in tips, depending on what they did. And everytime they do it again, etc, I go up more. Now the opposite happens too, if they provide bad service, I start deducting from the original 17%. The lowest I went down to was 5% and the highest I went up to was 35%.
9.gif

My bf and I have disagreements about the tipping amount. He tends to overtip, all the time. Even if we received poor, poor service, he will still tip 20%. He never tips lower than 20%! And it gets to me because they don''t deserve it!
38.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 2:47:42 PM
Author: MrsFrk
Tipping hotel housekeeping is not required, but is greatly appreciated. Whomever that person in the industry is that F&I spoke with, she/he probably is not the one cleaning the rooms. My mom used to work at the Fairmont, she had to clean 14 rooms a day. It''s hard, hard work, and the pay is crap. And many people use a stay at a hotel to live like pigs.
No, it wasn''t me who spoke to someone in the industry.
6.gif
When we traveled, my father always tipped. That''s where I got it from.

But, I feel really bad about the groomer. She doesn''t get paid by the hour. She keeps part of the fee. Am I the only one who doesn''t tip?
39.gif
39.gif
I owe her a lot of money.
39.gif

I give my mail carrier a present at the holidays. They are not supposed to accept money. I tried to tip my husband''s nurse when he had some minor surgery. She said it was against company rules. I do tip my paper carrier once a year (except for when we had a really crappy one).

When I see a tip jar, I feel obligated - even though it makes me kinda mad.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 4:34:11 PM

6.gif

But, I feel really bad about the groomer. She doesn''t get paid by the hour. She keeps part of the fee. Am I the only one who doesn''t tip?
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I give my mail carrier a present at the holidays. They are not supposed to accept money. I tried to tip my husband''s nurse when he had some minor surgery. She said it was against company rules. I do tip my paper carrier once a year (except for when we had a really crappy one).

F&I, you poor thing! Quit beating yourself up for not tipping the groomer. Just do what you do with the paper carrier or whoever...give him/her a nice "thank you" gift at the holidays.

I think it depends on what type of place you take your dog to for grooming. The place I take my dog to is more like a salon, and I typically don''t even see the person who grooms her. I drop her off, tell the receptionist what services I want for that visit, and they call me to come pick her up when she''s done. There are several different people working there, and I don''t see anyone other than the receptionist most of the time. If the service was more personal, and the it was just one person taking care of my dog from start to finish, I''d probably tip them. But since it''s not that way where we go, I don''t.

It''s considered unethical for some types of workers to accept tips...as you''ve already found out postal workers and health care workers are among them. My dad used to work as a clerk in the small town post office where I grew up, and often the regular customers would bring in things like baked goods for my dad and the other guys who worked there as a token of appreciation. Same for me when I worked at the hospital. Often patients or family members would bring in baked goods, boxes of chocolates, fruit baskets, or that kind of thing to say "thank you". I can attest to how much we nurses appreciate that kind of gesture! Not only is it a nice treat for us, but it''s also rewarding to know that people appreciate the work we do. Especially when we know we''ve gone above and beyond the call of duty in some cases.

Tip jars in coffee shops and donut shops irk me. I don''t mind tip jars in bars, though. I appreciate a bartender who''s friendly and knows how to make a tasty margarita. It''s not always easy to get just the right amount of salt on the rim
2.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
7.gif

Date: 8/16/2005 4:34:11 PM

6.gif

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Oops- Sorry Fire and Ice, I meant Belle.
That''s what I get for relying on my sieve-like brain, and not going back and checking.
7.gif

Actually, we don''t give our carrier cash, we give him a fruitcake (but it''s a tasty one, I swear! homemade-and a gift certificate for somewhere cool).

I''ve never taken my dog to a groomer, I''m not sure I would tip either. You could ask, diplomatically. I asked my hairdresser, because there''s the old "if it''s the owner no tipping" rule. She said, equally diplomatically, that yes she technically is the owner, because she just rents a station, but that tips are appreciated. Generally I just go to Supercuts or have my husband trim my hair, but if I need a STYLE I go to her, and always tip. She''s worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results