shape
carat
color
clarity

Who to tip and how much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just realized that I have no clue as to who to tip, and who NOT to tip. for example: I tip my wait staff at restaurants, my hairdresser, my daughter''s daycare provider, but I don''t tip my son''s teachers, I just buy them a gift, I don''t tip the mailman, newspaper delivery, and taxi drivers.....I have no idea if I''m offending someone or not. Anyone know the proper etiquette?

Just an example of how clueless I am....I recently went on a business trip by myself, and I forgot to tip the hotel housekeeping!!! When my husband asked me about how much I tipped, I was completely floored and blushed bright red. He usually handles all of that, and it didn''t even ocur to me to do it. As for the taxi to and from the hotel, I just told the cab driver to "keep the change" so if the cab ride was $23, I gave $25, and called it a day. I have no idea what the proper amount is....luckily I probably only take taxis once a year tops.

I also realized that while some of the tips for my wedding vendors were included (officiant, wedding coordinator, reception staff), we cluelessly forgot to tip the DJ and photographer. We wrote out a check for their fee!!! That was 5 years ago, and I''m still embarassed by it when people bring up the subject!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am one of those people who likes to have information laid out in front of me and not have to follow links...BUT...there was sooo much information here about tipping, that i thought i would pass it along.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Belle - but my head is spinning. Pet Groomer? I don''t know anyone who tips their pet groomer. Or, maybe I just know cheap people
39.gif

I do tip the hotel maid. Good point about tipping every day instead of at the end. But, I would love to see a poll about how many people tip in hotels. I''d venture a guess that one doesn''t see much tipping in a Hampton Inn - people come and go.

My hairdresser went from a regular salon to a "spa". They have someone else shampoo my hair. I HATE that. With all the tipping, going to this place is starting to become stressful.

I always find tipping stressful. Because of that, I probably overtip.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 3:36:08 PM
Author: fire&ice
Thanks Belle - but my head is spinning. Pet Groomer? I don''t know anyone who tips their pet groomer. Or, maybe I just know cheap people
39.gif

I do tip the hotel maid. Good point about tipping every day instead of at the end. But, I would love to see a poll about how many people tip in hotels. I''d venture a guess that one doesn''t see much tipping in a Hampton Inn - people come and go.

My hairdresser went from a regular salon to a ''spa''. They have someone else shampoo my hair. I HATE that. With all the tipping, going to this place is starting to become stressful.

i find tipping stressful as well and in looking at that list, i do overtip. i am guilty of not tipping the hotel maid though (the horrors!) it''s probably because i''ve already tipped the parking shuttle guy and then the skycap and then the hotel shuttle guy and then the bellman....by the time me and my well tipped bags have made it safely to the hotel room, i''m all tipped out!
37.gif
well, that and i always make my bed and keep the room nice and tidy. there''s not really much left for the maid to do.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link Belle! I learned some pretty cool things about tipping and etiquette.
35.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 3:48:58 PM
Author: belle
there''s not really much left for the maid to do.
Except clear the air of cigarette smoke from the previous guest (even though the room is clearly n/s), scrub the tub after the guy with the nasty fungal feet showered there this morning, clean up the soil (of who knows what kind) off the carpet, made sure there were no water marks on the mirror, not one hair on the floor, and double checked to make sure you had an iron, an extra pillow, a phone book.........on and on to make sure that when you entered the room - everything was to your liking.

Sorry to go on and on, I used to manage commercial real estate in dt Chicago.

Tip the chamber maid $2 minimum at least on the first night.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 3:36:08 PM
F&I, that makes two of us.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 4:29:33 PM
Author: Erin

there's not really much left for the maid to do.
Except clear the air of cigarette smoke from the previous guest (even though the room is clearly n/s), scrub the tub after the guy with the nasty fungal feet showered there this morning, clean up the soil (of who knows what kind) off the carpet, made sure there were no water marks on the mirror, not one hair on the floor, and double checked to make sure you had an iron, an extra pillow, a phone book.........on and on to make sure that when you entered the room - everything was to your liking.

Sorry to go on and on, I used to manage commercial real estate in dt Chicago.

Tip the chamber maid $2 minimum at least on the first night.
what!!? i have to tip because of some other disgusting slob? i don't think so.

i always make my bed and keep the room nice and tidy. there's not really much left for the maid to do.

and, i stay in non-smoking rooms
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I really wonder what percentage of people tip the maid. In our last trip, we had different maids every day. And, they would show up late in the day at very inconvient times (had to take a shower and change for an event). They made me late. Didn''t clean real well. I didn''t consciously not tip. I just forgot. But, I don''t feel bad about it.

Curious Erin - what percentage did you find? In my circle of friends, I would have to say probably 1/2.

I don''t tip delivery people anymore (except pizza, etc). The last few times I embarrassed myself as they refused the "tip". They were a bit offended as they were just doing their job.

O.K. - I fessed up to NOT tipping the dog groomer. Anyone else? Or am I just not in the know?

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
its funny... I had a conversation with a coworker not very long ago about tipping the groomer.. We decided that yes.. you are supposed to . He said that he does, but his wife doesn''t.. lol.

I thought that article was pretty interesting. the only one I think that i didn''t find fairly obvious.. was the roadside assistance guys.. Now I am feeling really guilty! I have AAA so I never pay for a tow or a jump start, so I''ve never thought of tipping.. but I probably should.. Especially in the winter.. I wouln''d want to be doing that!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, i just called a friend of mine who is in the hotel industry to ask about tipping the maid. she said it is not necessary or expected unless you have stayed for an extended period of time, or if you have made any special requests.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
REALLY? I always tip hotel maids. always always always.. I''d never consider NOT tipping, even if they didn''t really do anything! My friend used to be a hotel maid for a shady little motel.. and people even tipped her THERE (not much.. but STILL).. I really think thats a pretty common expectation.

Oh and another thing I wanted to add, is I''m glad that article told me its okay to not tip at Starbucks/concession stands ETC. I never feel like I should leave a tip.. but then the tip jar is there.. and I don''t know WHAT to do.. Sometimes I do, if I''m feeling generous (it usually has very little to do with quality of service).. but usually I don''t.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Compared to you MS, I''m pretty bad then. I never ever tip the maid, I never knew that I was supposed to. I just thought that was their job...*flinches* I feel so bad now....Okay, I will tip the next time I stay at a hotel.

I agree with the Starbucks tip jar. I don''t know what to do with it. I feel bad if they give me my change and I don''t drop something in the jar. I had a friend that worked at Starbucks before and she said almost everyone tips them! I can''t believe it! I don''t think I should tip them, but sometimes, if I''m feeling generous, I give it up.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I think tipping "maids" are a bit of a thing of the past.

Dang, I have to rethink this groomer thing. I pay between 45-65 per dog. At the places I take the dogs, it''s part of a bigger facility (day care/boarding). The groomer usually isn''t there. I feel really bad. She''s been grooming my dogs for years and years. I''ve never got the impression she felt slighted.

O.K. F&I feelin really bad..
39.gif
39.gif
I think I am going to have to talk to her.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 5:16:36 PM
Author: MelissaSue
I thought that article was pretty interesting. the only one I think that i didn''t find fairly obvious.. was the roadside assistance guys.. Now I am feeling really guilty! I have AAA so I never pay for a tow or a jump start, so I''ve never thought of tipping.. but I probably should.. Especially in the winter.. I wouln''d want to be doing that!
Funny you should bring this up. I don''t tip the mail carrier and hotel maids, but when I had AAA come unlock my car with keys and children inside....I was so happy I tipped the guy $20.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
We need to spread this info around . . . it says to tip teachers $25 to $100 at Christmas! When I taught 7th grade, I got one $10 or $20 gift certificate to Applebee''s, and maybe a hand made stocking with my name on it, but now that I teach high school, the best I can hope for is a candy cane. I consider it a win if nothing major is stolen or broken at the end of the year. Perhaps elementary school teachers make out better since there''s only one of them for the parents to worry about?

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

Date: 8/15/2005 4:57:42 PM
I really wonder what percentage of people tip the maid. In our last trip, we had different maids every day. And, they would show up late in the day at very inconvient times (had to take a shower and change for an event). They made me late. Didn''t clean real well. I didn''t consciously not tip. I just forgot. But, I don''t feel bad about it.

Curious Erin - what percentage did you find? In my circle of friends, I would have to say probably 1/2.

I don''t tip delivery people anymore (except pizza, etc). The last few times I embarrassed myself as they refused the ''tip''. They were a bit offended as they were just doing their job.

O.K. - I fessed up to NOT tipping the dog groomer. Anyone else? Or am I just not in the know?
I don''t tip the dog groomer. Where I take our dog, it''s like an assembly line, anyway. One person takes her back and gives her a shampoo, someone else cleans her teeth, someone else cuts her hair, and someone else puts the little ribbons and bandana on her before I pick her up. I don''t get to stay and go through with her every step of the way, so I just pay at the end when I pick her up. I do tip the lady who does my hair, though. She shampoos me and does everything herself, so I tip her pretty well.

As for the pizza guy...we DEFINETLY tip him! It''s almost always the same guy, and he''s super nice, usually gets the pizza here twice as fast as they tell me it''s going to arrive, and it''s always steaming hot! I tip him so that he keeps it that way...lol.

The one I never knew you were supposed to tip is the person who delivers flowers. It''s usually the owner of the shop, and I know he charges a pretty penny for those posies. I always just smile and say "thanks, they are so gorgeous!" My husband sends me flowers often enough, I think he gets plenty of our money. Once, though, my SIL was at our house when my birthday flowers came, and she was apalled that I didn''t tip the guy. Now I hide when he comes, and let my kids answer the door, because I''m embarassed that I''ve never tipped him, and I don''t know how to start!
32.gif
Am I gross if I don''t tip the florist?

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 5:23:26 PM
Author: MelissaSue
REALLY? I always tip hotel maids. always always always.. I''d never consider NOT tipping, even if they didn''t really do anything! My friend used to be a hotel maid for a shady little motel.. and people even tipped her THERE (not much.. but STILL).. I really think thats a pretty common expectation.

Oh and another thing I wanted to add, is I''m glad that article told me its okay to not tip at Starbucks/concession stands ETC. I never feel like I should leave a tip.. but then the tip jar is there.. and I don''t know WHAT to do.. Sometimes I do, if I''m feeling generous (it usually has very little to do with quality of service).. but usually I don''t.
That Starbucks tip jar is a mystery to me! We don''t have a Starbucks in town, but we go there when we are travelling. I''ve always noticed them at the counter, and if I have a few cents in change after I pay, I''ll usually throw it in the jar, but I feel no obligation.

A couple of weeks ago, we were in Wisconsin Dells and went through a Starbucks drive through to get a coffee, and they even had a tip jar at the drive through! That''s a new one for me. We didn''t tip.
20.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I was always taught it was a given to tip hotel maids too. I mean, some places even have the little envelope there, so I do think it''s expected. I think once we forgot but in general we leave a small percentage. I have no idea if their salary is set up such that it is reliant on tips... I assume that it probably is and would err on the side of caution. Maybe this is changing, and maybe it depends on the hotel, I don''t know.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea you were supposed to tip maids at hotels...
6.gif
I don''t even know where you would leave them money. If they saw money sitting out in my room, would they automatically pick it up?

At this rate, I am going to go broke tipping everyone for doing their job
3.gif

And flower delivery people? Who knew? I guess usually I am not home when they come, so I don''t think I ever had the opportunity anyway. But, if you receive an unsolicited gift, it seems weird that I then have to tip someone...?

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 9:42:43 PM
Author: icekid
I had no idea you were supposed to tip maids at hotels...
6.gif
I don''t even know where you would leave them money. If they saw money sitting out in my room, would they automatically pick it up?

At this rate, I am going to go broke tipping everyone for doing their job
3.gif

And flower delivery people? Who knew? I guess usually I am not home when they come, so I don''t think I ever had the opportunity anyway. But, if you receive an unsolicited gift, it seems weird that I then have to tip someone...?
That''s kind of what I thought about the flower thing...I didn''t order them, they were bought and paid for by someone already. And I always thought it was poor form to tip the owner of an establishment, and since the guy who usually delivers flowers is the owner of the flower shop, it never dawned on me to tip him.

Whether or not we tip the maid depends on the level of maid service. If we get our rooms tidied up, beds turned back at night, mints on our pillows, fresh flowers, and our ice bucket filled, we tip. If we simply get the beds made and fresh towels put in the bathroom, we usually don''t. As far as where to leave the money...we give it directly to the maid. And never on the first night. We usually wait a couple of days, then we tip her.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I don''t tip maids either. I hate to say it, but most of the time they don''t do the best job anyway. And many times they do come at inconvienant times like when I''m getting ready for a wedding that I''m attending, etc.

I''m good at restaurants, mostly because my mom has been a waitress for a long time and I grew up listening to stories of her busting her butt only to get a few measly bucks on a huge bill. I usually tip at least 20% in the restaurant, unless it''s lousy service, then I go to 10%. If it''s REALLY bad I do a little less than 10, but I''ve NEVER stiffed a waiter. You''d probably have to spit in my food and call me names to get me to stiff you....

Regarding Starbucks, I''m sorry but that tipping jar is a load of bull! Why should I tip you? I asked for a latte, you got it for me, I give you the $3.50 to put in the register. That''s it, what more do you want? I don''t feel they should be tipped - their job is to get coffee and pastries. By doing so, they are earning a paycheck. I don''t feel they need a tip on top of it. Gloria Jean''s has a tip line on the receipt if you pay by credit card. I hate it because they hand me the receipt to sign, and there it is - the line above your signature reading "tip amount". I think once I gave a dollar because the girl was really nice and they were swamped and I could tell she was new and having a rough day. But for the most part, I think it is ridiculous and I don''t do it.

Didn''t know about the airport! Man, I guess I''ve ripped some people off!
16.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I've never stiffed a waiter or waitress, either. Once or twice I've left an obviously small tip when I've had really really bad service...like they were rude or got the orders way mixed up. I felt like that was leaving a much bigger message than leaving no tip at all. No tip, and they could have called me the shmuck for stiffing them. Fifty cents showed them exacly what their service was worth
11.gif
Most of the time, however, I'm a very generous tipper in restaurants. I even usually tip at buffets when they have someone who comes to clear away the used plates...and yessssss...I do go to buffets...lol! I have two kids whose like totally opposite things. Sometimes the only way to please them both is to go to the Home Town Buffet (where I usually eat way too much food
18.gif
)

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, I was just at a chinese buffet with DH tonite!!
18.gif

I totally agree with you on the tipping "message". Leaving a smaller tip gets the point across much more than no tip at all.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jayonsmo:

just fyi, I am atypical on some things maybe...but for what it is worth

I tip cabbies 10-20% the higher if they are nice and helpful, rude, speeding, not helping with bags, that upsets me. Also, I love when I go to NYC and have to tip anyone

I do tip hotel maids if I have the same one the whole trip, I have all the kids and various family and a number of (messy) rooms...If it is just me, for one night or something, I do not worry. If they go above and beyond and my kids have been messy. I feel good about it. I usually give 5.00 a day, per room. I also tip hotel concierges if they go above and beyond, getting tickets to sold out shows or dinner reservations at hard to get places...this is a great way to make sure they remember you and help you even more if you plan to come back...

I tip recylcing and trash guys, most delivery guys if I do not get to tip all year...this makes their DAY, it is so worth to see how happy they are to be remembered. I do not tip a salon owner if I go to one. My one PEEVE is giving gifts to or tipping the salon people I use weekly, like nail people, waxing people, hair people. Now, before any aestheticians clobber me, think of this...I tip GENEROUSLY (20% min.) ALL YEAR LONG. They should be thanking ME for my loyalty as a customer, for all the times I have been kept waiting with no good reason ( I am almost always on time and call if I am running late).. I also get teachers gifts, like Borders or mall gift certs, and often we all get a class gift...

I think15% is good, and 20% or more shows exceptional service. The word T-I-P is an acronym, and it IS supposed to be a REWARD, not an obligation...and anyone I know who waited tables in college and lived on their tips are very adamant about it. I think it is never to be assumed, and one should get good service for it. I had a waitress CHASE me down the street once when I forgot to total the check, instead of saying ''you forgot to total it" she said, "you did not give me a tip!!!!!" It was an oversight on my side, but it bugged me!!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I love chinese buffets, but my kids usually only eat rice and fortune cookies when we go. And once again, I end up being the one that pigs out...lol. The only time I''m not sure when to tip is Fazoli''s where you order your food at the counter and it''s pretty much self-serve with the drinks and stuff, and you bus your own table. There is the lady who goes around from table to table with a basket of breadsticks, and we always load up when she comes around to our table. I have never tipped her, because I haven''t seen the breadstick lady doing anything but walking around with her breadsticks. I just say "thanks, more breadsticks please" and don''t leave a tip. I''m guessing that''s ok, since her only job seems to be handing out breadsticks.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 1:56:55 AM
Author: sjz
I love chinese buffets, but my kids usually only eat rice and fortune cookies when we go. And once again, I end up being the one that pigs out...lol. The only time I''m not sure when to tip is Fazoli''s where you order your food at the counter and it''s pretty much self-serve with the drinks and stuff, and you bus your own table. There is the lady who goes around from table to table with a basket of breadsticks, and we always load up when she comes around to our table. I have never tipped her, because I haven''t seen the breadstick lady doing anything but walking around with her breadsticks. I just say ''thanks, more breadsticks please'' and don''t leave a tip. I''m guessing that''s ok, since her only job seems to be handing out breadsticks.
Once again, I''m totally different than everyone else...I tip extremely well at buffets because even though you get your own food, the waiters have to clear the tables WAY more often than if you just order at a sit down establishment. I''ve been to buffets with co-workers who refuse to tip at all because they didn''t get "served".....HELLO, who do you think it clearing your 3rd, 4th plate while your chowing down more food? I ALWAYS make a point to throw in extra tip to make up for those co-workers that don''t tip.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jaysonsmom, it never hurts to be thoughtful...you have good tip karma. I also wanted to add that I tip for to go stuff since someone packed it and whatnot, but I do not give as much as for table service where they are coming back and forth a bunch of tmes...

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never really understood the theory behind tipping. In Austraila, it''s not necessary to tip anyone. The wages here are supposedly enough so that taxi drivers, waiters, hotel staff etc can live off their wages and not rely on their tips. Whether it actually is enough, I don''t know because I don''t work in the service industry.

Why is it customary to tip in some countries? Is it because wages are so low that they need the tips to survive?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkster, yes, most people in those service industries make minimum wage. It has been raised over the years with inflation but it is not great. People without higher education or better choices have to take the jobs that do not pay well, and tips make such a difference. I have a brother in law who STILL works in a very fancy restaurant because the tips are big, 2-% of a fancy dinner with expensive wine, many courses, dessert and coffee can add up...times many tables per night. He is an awesome waiter and makes excellent money doing it, but that is not the norm for most. Also, the US gov''t ASSUMES people in those lines of works ARE making tips, and started taxing their income AS IF they all were. So, even if they do not get much, they are taxed. Some food establishments have tip pooling, great if you have great servers you work with but are not making such great tips on your own!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results