shape
carat
color
clarity

Who to set my paraiba, or if I even should?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all. I posted last week in Bling my "new" antique platinum and diamond watch that I want to convert to a bracelet. I was so excited when it arrived and it occurred to me that it was the perfect space for a paraiba that I have.

I immediately reached out to DK about bezel setting the paraiba like the diamonds are. I was very pleasantly surprised when I received his email response and a quote last night (I had read in a thread somewhere it sometimes takes time for a response because of how busy they stay.) Today I reached out to a local jeweler (because hubby is a firm believer of getting more than one quote for anything, not because I am unhappy about the quote) and he unsurprisingly expressed his apprehension to bezel set my paraiba due to fragility. I very much appreciated his honesty. But ever since, I am wavering on if this is the right stone to put in the bracelet. I would be devastated if something happened to my paraiba. I do have a 1.51 ct natural deep yellowish green diamond that I could use instead. When I get home I can post a pic of the diamond in the space for a better reference. 20180920_172714.jpg 20180920_172345.jpg The local jeweler said he wouldn't be opposed to setting the paraiba in prongs, but would not feel comfortable bezelling it unless he could find a premade one. So should I save the paraiba for another project with prongs, trust DK with the job, use the olive green diamond instead, or go another way? Thanks to anyone throwing in their 2 cents in advance. 1529846906810-984.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bracelets do get more exposure to damage even if bezeled (crown remains exposed). Tourmaline isn’t that fragile but is a bit prone to chipping if not worn with care. Secondly, each bench will have different levels of skills setting coloured stones. Bezeling requires a softer hand so as not to damage the stone when hammering the “lip” over, compared to diamonds.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
one pser got her rubellite chipped when it was bezel set in platinum

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything is possible. I’ve had 2 spinels chipped when set in prong and several sphenes set without damage. It all lies with the skill of the bench.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
After driving myself crazy today I decided to go straight back to the source and ask DK what he thought. He said he was confident about actually setting the paraiba in a bezel, but I should prong set it if I thought I may want to unset it in the future. He also said it most certainly would need more care and caution when being worn than the diamond (I knew that already). Because I intend this to be an heirloom piece, I want to do this only once. The paraiba is a nice splash of color against the platinum, and the diamond doesn't fit the space as well. I guess I need to just hold my nose and dive in! Thanks for being a sound board.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You could still have a bezel look but with prongs holding the paraiba instead of the bezel... I know pics will work better but I need to get to work now. Let me know if you need pics and I’ll find something.

FWIW I think you should set the paraiba so that you get something that you love. Chipping stones unfortunately is always a possibility but sending lots of dust your way.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Paraiba is perfect for that project.
It will be an ultra glamorous and special piece. I know people say set more fragile gems in a pendant - but I want to see and admire my beauties.
I think David K has ample experience and skill to safely set your Paraiba. That poor guy doesn’t sleep I’m sure what with all of us and our “projects”.
There is always a small risk of course, but life is full of risk whether we like it or not - even crossing a road is at some risk, but we do it all the time anyway.
Dying to see final photos of course.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news on your beautiful bracelet?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Any news on your beautiful bracelet?

I received it, but there was a small issue (not about the paraiba) that DK graciously said he would take care of, so I returned it. I'm hoping to have it back this weekend. Here's the sneak peek. I love it! Hope it's not too much bling to wear with scrubs to work because I'm totally doing it!:lol: T.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh
Wow!!!
What a bracelet. I totally love it.
Looking forward to admire your pics when you receive it again.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
It's home, and I'm thrilled. Of course lighting is bad in my hundred year old house, and when I get the diamonds to sparkle the Paraiba isn't at it's best and revered. But I love it. 20181029_174400.jpg 20181029_173510.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
:love::love:It's gorgeous! Wouldn't both paraiba and diamonds look better under the sun?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love:It's gorgeous! Wouldn't both paraiba and diamonds look better under the sun?
No more sunshine to be had unless I get in the car:(sad

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
:-o wow wow wow! This is so unique and classy and beautiful! Normally not a bracelet person, but for this I make and exception.

And the paraiba is scrub blue. OF COURSE you should wear it to work. Meant to be.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's home, and I'm thrilled. Of course lighting is bad in my hundred year old house, and when I get the diamonds to sparkle the Paraiba isn't at it's best and revered. But I love it. 20181029_174400.jpg 20181029_173510.jpg

Its gorgeous! :love: I can’t wait to see your daytime pics.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I received it, but there was a small issue (not about the paraiba) that DK graciously said he would take care of, so I returned it. I'm hoping to have it back this weekend. Here's the sneak peek. I love it! Hope it's not too much bling to wear with scrubs to work because I'm totally doing it!:lol: T.jpg
I'm a retired respiratory therapist who worked in hospitals for nearly thirty years and I say go for it! The fact that it's a bracelet means it's less likely to get in your way than a super blingy ring might. It's an incredible bracelet :)

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a retired respiratory therapist who worked in hospitals for nearly thirty years and I say go for it! The fact that it's a bracelet means it's less likely to get in your way than a super blingy ring might. It's an incredible bracelet :)
Thank you! My hubby commented that it goes with my teal scrubs that I have to wear 2 days a week, the other 2 its dove gray, so will match either way!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I love how it turned out. :appl:

So inspirational. If you ever see me posting a conversion project you know where I got my idea from. ;)2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results