shape
carat
color
clarity

Who to go for Diamond fitting in ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Hi
I am planning to buy a diamond seperately than with a ring since thats what is advised by lot of folkds.
But then any suggestions on where do I get the diamond fit into the ring setting I buy seperately. Should I goto local jweller or anyone?
Thanks in advance,
Zack

justme

Shiny_Rock
Welcome flyguy!

You can choose either a B&M or internet site for your setting.

Once you pick out the diamond the ring is ordered with the correct setting to fit the diamond into or the head (prongs) is changed to one that will fit your diamond.

An exception to either the B&M or Internet dealer not being able to set the diamond into a setting is a tension set ring which some designers require you to send the diamond to them for setting. Another is some designers that have warranties that require them to be the only ones to set the diamonds into their rings.

But in either of these cases both a B&M/internet dealer can ship your stone to the designer for setting.

Hope this helps.

Justme

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 3/19/2003 4:13:43 PM justme wrote:

Another is some designers that have warranties that require them to be the only ones to set the diamonds into their rings.
---------------

Can you give me an example of a designer who "requires" sending them the diamond for setting in order to have a warranty? I guess I just assumed that if I had a local jeweler set a diamond in a ring they sold, there would be a warranty of some sort.

My wife and I are looking into settings by Verragio, DVatche, Scott Kay and Diana. DVatche is the only setting we can't get locally. We haven't stepped foot into a jewelry store yet to look at the settings. We've still got to get past the diamond buying stage.
cry.gif

Doug

flyguy

Rough_Rock
I think I didn't put my question properly. Just to make it clear, I want to know is following:
1. If I buy the diamond from Internet site, I want to see it and make sure I like it.
2. Once I like it, then I would want to fit that diamond into the setting I like,
But the question is whether I should get it done from local jweller? Has any one done like this.
Also not sure if I need to stand in front of jweller while they fit diamond into stone to avoid any risks. Or Should I get warranty or some kind of confirmation from the Jweller that they don't screw up the stone while fitting.
Any suggestions on this.
twirl.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of B&M stores refuse to set diamonds that they didn't sell... They often claim that this is for liability reasons, but the fact is that their jewelers block policy probably insures them against the risk of damaging a diamond during the setting process (ours does) and they are merely trying to hold you hostage by forcing you to buy one of their diamonds if you want to receive any kind of "service"... Thus many clients end up sending their diamond back to us to have the diamonds set after having them evaluated - which is kind of silly because most gemologists are quite capable of determining that a diamond matches the lab report whether it is set or unset...

Last week we sold a diamond to a woman who was buying a rather expensive setting from her local jeweler for a diamond she was buying from us... The jeweler assured her that he would set the diamond even though it was being purchased somewhere else... But when the setting arrived and she produced the diamond, he refused to set the diamond... So she sent it back to us to be set... Here's the interesting part... The ring was platinum - the head was soldered in with yellow gold... The ring was supposed to be "made to her finger size" - but the diamonds were spinning in their seats - a real good indicator that the diamond had been sized down and the channels which hold the diamonds had been expanded... What a farce! She was "stuck" because the setting had been paid for in advance of being ordered and the jeweler has a strict no refund policy... It may take a little more time and cost you a little bit in shipping to have the diamond set by the on-line vendor whom you purchase it from, but in the long run you're likely to be happier with the end result...

Oh! Here's a "real kicker"... A few months ago one of our clients paid a jeweler in the Boston area $395.00 to set a diamond in a platinum solitaire which he purchased from us!!! $395.00 that's more than the setting cost! We were like, why didn't you call us first?!?!?! It should have cost about $45 - 55.00 and even with the cost of insured shipping going around in a circle the guy would have been a couple hundred bucks ahead...

Oh, we almost forgot this option... Some of the independent gemologists have contacts with trade shops in their areas who provide setting services for the trade and thus they can assist you with having the diamond set after completing their evaluation and then they can verify the diamond after it has been set to ease your mind... A good idea!

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Wow this makes me afraid of loosing diamond quality after investing so much $.
So I guess the best bet is to get it done from the vendor who sold teh diamond since teh appriaser can verify the diamond anyway.
But then one last question comes to my mind that is it really good to buy a loose diamond or just buy it fitted in the ring?
loopy.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this was answered already, but buy a loose stone. That way you can set it in any setting of your choice, and appraisers can only appraise loose stones if you want a full report. You can have it set at the online vendor or offline, plenty of people have done it offline as well if you have a setting in mind. Someone just posted a setting they purchased from Simayoff where they had a loose stone set into their setting. Gorgeous pix.

We were going to purchase the diamond online and setting offline and have our jeweler set the stone. Turned out to buy both offline. But he would have done the setting of the stone either way, and guaranteed the work for life.
2.gif

Good luck.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I may be speaking out of turn here but if you buy your diamond from one the pricescope internet vendors and get the ring from them, I think all of them would set your diamond for free. If you want to see the diamond before it is set, have them send you the diamond, you approve it and send it back and they will set it in your new e-ring. They are also responsible for the quality of the workmanship. If I am off base with any of you other vendors, sorry.
We too have experienced our customers taking our diamond to a local jeweler and getting the "bums rush" because they got their diamond on the internet. You would think they would be nice and take the opportunity to make a sale of a mounting and charge something reasonable for setting the diamond in the mounting they just sold. If you took your grandmothers diamond ring into the store and got it set in a new ring, they wouldn't treat you that way nor charge for setting your grandmothers diamond in their new ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results